(12 posts)
  1. bengston

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 9:24:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Can someone give me an opinion?

I found this tiny bug crawling on my leg last night. I wasn't in bed, but was sitting on a wooden chair in my living room. It was night time, but the lights were on so this would seem like strange behavior for a bedbug, no?

I have never had bedbugs before, at least to my knowledge. My girlfriend and I had a scare a while back and tore the house apart, but found not a single sign. That being said, we are in Brooklyn, which seems like the bedbug capital...

Anyway, here is the image:
    fear

Not the highest resolution, but the best I could get. Looks like it could be a 1st instar to me, but I am not entomologist.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 9:39:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Not sure what it is, don't think its native to my area but its not a bedbug.

To get that extended body shape it would have to be fed if it were a bedbug and in which case there would be blood meal visible in the digestive track which there isn't.

Hopefully a seasoned entomologist will be along shortly to give a diagnosis.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 9:50:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear that! I wasn't sure and would have asked myself if I found it.

4. bengston

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 9:56:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Could it possibly be a flea? Just wondering because there are cats in the apartment below us, and it is always possible that we could have mice.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 10:41:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a flea.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 10:49:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Anthocorid bug (nymph), a cimicid relative. Some will bite or taste you, but are predaceous on insects, mites, eggs, etc.
    Can't be a flea, wrong body morphology.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 10:55:30
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Anthocorid bug (nymph), a cimicid relative. Some will bite or taste you, but are predaceous on insects, mites, eggs, etc.

You never stop amazing me, Lou!

8. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 10:57:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 49 seconds ago  » 

loubugs - 5 minutes ago  » 

You never stop amazing me, Lou!

Seriously. If I'd have found that, I'd have gotten the ziplocks out and fired up my packtite, just in case.

9. bengston

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 10:58:43
    #

Login to Send PM

This seems relieving!

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 10:59:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Me too.

This is why expert bug IDs are needed.

And thanks to David too-- for pointing out it wasn't a bed bug, before anyone else raised an alarm.

AshamedandScratching - 40 seconds ago  » 

Seriously. If I'd have found that, I'd have gotten the ziplocks out and fired up my packtite, just in case.

11. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 16:04:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I would have said Minute Pirate Bug. What are the differences with the two Lou?

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 16:10:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Anthocoridae -- one common name is minute pirate bugs. I referred to the family by calling it an anthocorid.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,207 posts in 50,139 topics over 155 months by 21,919 of 22,414 members. Latest: Bigworm, Cain69, Bery10