Possible Bed Bugs on Road Trip - Help Diagnose

(5 posts)
  1. carmen5600

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 7 2013 10:09:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been traveling the country with my fiance the past few months. We recently spent a few weeks in Texas. A few days after arriving we noticed individual bites on our bodies (maybe 6 between us). I checked the mattress seams, the box spring, etc. While it was a bit dirty, I found no signs of bed bugs (all dirt flaked off, nothing that resembled an intact insect shell, no dead or live bugs). I also had a friend from NYC who'd dealt with bb's in the past take a look, and he said he didn't see any sign either.

The last few days we were there we got bitten up bad. The majority of bites are on our waist, groin and buttocks area however. Only my fiance has a few random bites on her wrist.

Before moving on from that location we laundered everything, put it in plastic bags, used bb/flea spray on every bag and every item we have, vacuumed the car, sprayed in there too, etc.

A week later we are still finding bites rising, but it is hard to tell if they are new or simply just getting inflamed and showing up late. We still see no signs of bed bugs in any of our bedding (and currently we are sleeping on our air mattress with sleeping bags and none of our bags brought into this new place (for everyone's safety).

I have taken a photo of all the bites which are on one leg at the groin/waist. The bigger scabbier ones showed up first about a week ago, and some of the ones around the edges have only become visible/shown up later. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/photoyfh.jpg/

Any help identifying would be great, as well as tips to controlling it while we are on the road and taking care of it right away! Thanks!!

2. carmen5600

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 7 2013 13:50:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I should also note that the people we stayed with had outdoor cats with a history of fleas. However, we saw no fleas and we seem to mostly have gotten bit at night.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 7 2013 14:09:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Here is some information on bites:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-bite-primer-my-5000th-post

They are not the best diagnostic tool although the location sounds more likely to be fleas than bedbugs.

If you are continuing to travel I would suggest you read the FAQ's and look in the useful tools sections to get the best advice and to watch the inspection video so you know how to check rooms before unpacking your bags and risking exposure.

I have never be a big fan of luggage spraying, its a bit like when the doctors first realised that over prescription of anti-biotics meant that they no longer worked. Well we have had a few years of these contact killers being on the market so most are failing faster than a PCO with a freeze spray. There is also the untold harm to the environment to consider.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. carmen5600

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 7 2013 14:45:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David!

I've actually been reading a bunch of your information these past few days, and it has been a huge help. A big thank you for sharing all of this information so actively

My only question on the flea front is: is it normal then for flea bites to become obvious after the fact? As in, at first we only noticed about 6-8 big bites each on our waist areas, but in the next few days more just rose up next to them.

Usually we are also against such drastic chemicals. It's more of a desperation act than anything else. The last thing I want to do is bring bed bugs or fleas into someone else's house while we are on the road, as the thought of spreading them to friends is more terrifying to us than having them ourselves.

I'm hitting up a doctor in the town I'm in today just to get some feedback on other possibilities. Thanks again for everything you do!

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 7 2013 15:07:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

All insect reactions vary as there can be both an immunological (to both the insect and other foreign bodies that get into the open wound) and environmental aspect to the bodies response.

I usually recommend something that is mildly antibiotic and wound healing as the fastest way to get the symptoms down.

Well don't forget to spread the good advise on bedbugs as you travel, near miss stories are often the best way to educate friends.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,455 posts in 48,828 topics over 151 months by 21,440 of 21,843 members. Latest: Beardface, BugBrosHauntingMe, brokengarage