Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Possible bed bugs and going on vacation Help!

(4 posts)
  1. paranoidbedbug

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 1 2017 9:58:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, this is a bit long, but any help would be very much aprreciated.
    I have been staying in an airbnb (room in an appartment with three other people) for 5 nights. On the second night (4 1/2 weeks ago) I got 9 bites all along my left leg, big red and very itchy welts. I searched the bedframe and mattress but couldn't find anything and wasn't bitten again the next three nights I stayed there. When I went back home I first went into the basement of my appartment building. My bf brought plastic bags and fresh clothes. We (double) packed everything in thick plastic bags and I changed in new clothes. The next day I brought everything that could be washed/dried to the laundromat and put everything in driers for at least half an hour on high heat. The rest of the items I carefully inspected/vacuumed/wiped down in the bath tub. I got no new bites for about a week. Then I got a few new bites, one on my hand and the others close to my last bites on my leg. About 6 bites or so within a few days. These bites were a lot smaller and less itchy than the first ones. My bf and I carefully inspected the bed etc. but couldn't find any signs of bed bugs. However the slatted frame is constructed in a way that it is impossible to be sure completely. We put climb up traps under the feet of the bed and an encasement on our mattress. For 7 nights I got no new bites but tonight I woke up from an itchy bite on my hand (next to my last bite on my hand). It pretty much stopped itching since and is barely visible.
    So now I'm afraid we actually do have bed bugs and maybe they were just biting my bf and he is just not reacting. The problem is I'm going on vacation next friday. I was planning to spend one night at a friends house (who I will be travelling with), our flight is the next day. We will travel around a lot and I really don't want to spread bed bugs to my friend or the hotels/appartments we are staying in.
    What precautions should I take when packing for my vacation? Is it completely irresponsible to stay with my friend for a night? Please help!

2. oopsies

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 1 2017 10:21:38
    #

Login to Send PM

My friend invited me over and without hesitation, I said no and explained why. I also immediately informed everyone who had visited me the week prior and I'm keeping them updated. I was also thinking of going on a trip with my friends for a couple days and I bowed out because I knew we would be bunking in the same room. I think your friend would be much more comforted knowing that her friend would go out of the way to ensure she doesn't get an infestation of any kind, bed bugs or not.

3. paranoidbedbug

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 1 2017 11:52:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your reply. Of course I would talk to my friend before hand. Cancelling the vacation is not an option, it is a three week international trip we have been planning for about a year and which we have mostly paid for. I will try not to stay at my friends house though.
    My question is still how I can pack for the trip without bringing any bed bugs,? At what point does an inspection make sense (bed bugs in my country are not nearly as common as in the US). And how likely is it to have widely varied reactions to the bites? A few of the bites were also under my clothes.

4. oopsies

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 1 2017 12:10:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Personally, I would select the clothing that I would bring and throw it into the dryer on high heat for a full cycle. As soon as it's done, I would bring it out directly into a bag. For the bag, I would pick something that can be thrown into the dryer as well. Everything gets bagged. That way, you know that what's inside is clear. Bed bugs tend not to travel on the clothes on your body - they like stillness from what I've read so I wouldn't worry too much about it once you start moving about. If you are able to do this, staying with your friend might be a viable option. But then again, you said you've done this before and it didn't help so...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,692 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82