Possible bed bug. Photo included. [a: beetle]

(6 posts)
  1. ksc14

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 22:32:44
    #

Login to Send PM

First time poster here to bare with me...

Almost 4 weeks ago, my roommate said that she thought we had bed bugs. The exterminators came to our place and indeed found ONE dead bed bug on her mattress. I, however, had no bite marks and had no sign of bed bugs on my mattress or box spring. We had them spray the apartment, but a few days after they sprayed I moved out (so I was not there when they did the second spraying). I didn't take any of my furniture with me, just my clothes, so I bought a brand new mattress and box spring at my new apartment. I also sent most of my clothes to the laundromat right after I moved in, but I will admit that I was not super vigilant about getting everything cleaned.

It's been almost 2 weeks living here and just this morning after I got up I found a dead bug on my sheets near my pillow. The picture attached here isn't great (even with my DSLR!), it was hard to get an up close shot of it, but from what I've seen of bed bugs they tend to be more circular in shape with horizontal "ribbing". This bug was more vertical and almost seemed to have a wing casing, since there was a line going down the middle with no horizontal ribbing. That darkish spot you see near the left side of the bug seems like half of its shell, or maybe one of its wings, fell off. I have heard that bed bugs can become more elongated and engorged after a feeding so it's possible that's the reason it didn't look like a normal bed bug. However I didn't see any blood stains so I'm also wondering if it was an old, dead bed bug that just happened to fall onto my sheets.

if it's unclear from the picture then I can try and take some better shots but for now this is what I've got. any thoughts?

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 22:37:02
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not a bed bug it is a beetle

3. ksc14

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 22:38:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Another pic... as for the size, I measured it and it's 1/8th of an inch.

4. ksc14

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 22:40:13
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 2 minutes ago  » 
    It's not a bed bug it is a beetle

If you're absolutely positive, then I can't thank you enough for putting my mind at ease!

5. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 23:36:39
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not a bed bug. KQ has all the experience to know what it is.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2012 8:48:19
    #

Login to Send PM

You can see that it's a beetle and it looks like a carpet beetle.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams