Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Possible bed bug not sure if should report(bit long, wanted to include history)

(3 posts)
  1. SleepySam

Account closed

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 24 2013 11:26:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in a big city in colorado where infestation is a common problem.
    as probably just about everyone here, I still can't believe I ended up with any bed bugs. I've had clutter, as in boxes, plastic bins, clothes in a mesh hamper, but since I heard about bed bugs I've always done all that was suggested to prevent them, to the point of others wondering if I had become compulsive!

so, here's my main question...........
    does anyone know if I'm required to report a suspicion of bed bugs in Colorado? I can't seem to find a answer to my question on the internet.
    I really have no desire for a exterminator to spray again since I have asthma and did have breathing problems after they sprayed at the old place. I also ended up with skin rash problems that I think were connected to the spray that was used. that and even the exterminator told me that spraying was only a portion of dealing with the situation, particularly since the bugs are building up a resistance to the spray they use!

all seemed fine in the new place, and I've been unpacking. a few days ago I started feeling like something was crawling on me, found tiny bites). I wasn't sure what it was, thought maybe fleas or something so I've vacuumed several times a day, used our carpet shampooer, ran my canister clothing steamer over the wall areas, bed, carpet areas, and shelves. anywhere I could. I'm in the process of bagging up anything with cloth after it goes into the dryer. I place the dryer on highest setting, and everything goes through for 30-100 minutes. our mattresses are encased, and we have not removed them. one mattress has been encased for over 6 months, the other was encased right after we moved in, about 3 weeks ago. I've done other things too, but believe me, the list is long!

I did see a bug running along the edge of my bed, I grabbed it and squashed it, it was full of blood.

I didn't get a good look at it, so I don't know what kind of bug it was. another reason why I question speaking up to the management since I'm not certain what the bug was!

I fear that they will just come up with another reason to try and get me to leave, being too noisy or the like.

I'm tired and frustrated, so any advice or support would help.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 24 2013 15:34:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you just move from an apartment with bed bugs to a new apartment? If so, there's a good chance they were spread along with the move. Bed bug monitors may help you determine if this happened and you might want to put some down for a week or so and see if you can confirm the problem (someone here can ID a bug if you find another). People see lots of bugs and panic, and you don't want to assume you moved bed bugs if you haven't.

I'm not a lawyer, but even if the laws don't specify that you must promptly report bed bugs to a landlord, it may still be true that the landlord has a right to know if you see evidence of them. (It's not clear to me whether you have seen evidence of them yet, and this is why monitors might help.)

If you want to know for sure about the legal aspects, you'd have to ask a lawyer. A local tenants' rights group may be able to tell you your rights in terms of being evicted, as well as whether you have a legal obligation to report this, as I suspect you do.

You should be aware that there may be other units in your building with bed bugs and all affected units need concurrent treatment.

The Colorado Div. of Public Health and Environment (here) suggests that there are resources for helping mediate between landlords and tenants:

Who can help me get rid of bed bugs?

The state health department can offer guidance on the prevention and elimination of bed bugs but is not responsible for mandating tenant-landlord issues in regard to legal and cost issues associated with bed bug infestations. Local environmental health departments may be able to provide more specific suggestions on local agencies and organizations involved in landlord-tenant and housing issues. Organizations involved in housing regulations and tenant-landlord mediation include:

State of Colorado Community Housing Services Inc.
    http://www.chsico.org/
    303-831-1750

Denver County Environmental Health and Housing
    720-865-3200
    This group assists Denver County residents only.

Jefferson County, Colorado, Landlord Tenant Issue Line 303-237-0230
    This group assists Jefferson County residents only.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. SleepySam

Account closed

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 24 2013 18:59:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 3 hours ago  » 
    Did you just move from an apartment with bed bugs to a new apartment? If so, there's a good chance they were spread along with the move. Bed bug monitors may help you determine if this happened and you might want to put some down for a week or so and see if you can confirm the problem (someone here can ID a bug if you find another). People see lots of bugs and panic, and you don't want to assume you moved bed bugs if you haven't.
    I'm not a lawyer, but even if the laws don't specify that you must promptly report bed bugs to a landlord, it may still be true that the landlord has a right to know if you see evidence of them. (It's not clear to me whether you have seen evidence of them yet, and this is why monitors might help.)
    If you want to know for sure about the legal aspects, you'd have to ask a lawyer. A local tenants' rights group may be able to tell you your rights in terms of being evicted, as well as whether you have a legal obligation to report this, as I suspect you do.
    You should be aware that there may be other units in your building with bed bugs and all affected units need concurrent treatment.
    The Colorado Div. of Public Health and Environment (here) suggests that there are resources for helping mediate between landlords and tenants:

Who can help me get rid of bed bugs?
    The state health department can offer guidance on the prevention and elimination of bed bugs but is not responsible for mandating tenant-landlord issues in regard to legal and cost issues associated with bed bug infestations. Local environmental health departments may be able to provide more specific suggestions on local agencies and organizations involved in landlord-tenant and housing issues. Organizations involved in housing regulations and tenant-landlord mediation include:
    State of Colorado Community Housing Services Inc.
    http://www.chsico.org/
    303-831-1750
    Denver County Environmental Health and Housing
    720-865-3200
    This group assists Denver County residents only.
    Jefferson County, Colorado, Landlord Tenant Issue Line 303-237-0230
    This group assists Jefferson County residents only.

thanks for the advice. I'm mostly frustrated, & at our last place not much was done IMO. exterminators did spray, but even they admitted that I was doing most of the work. it may have been a flea that I saw, but next one I see I'll try to put it in a ziplock so it can be identified and treatment can be figured out. past what I'm doing already anyhow.

I imagine you'll hear more from me later,
    ty!
    sam

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82