Possible Bed bug - crawled out of couch seam [a: weevil]

(8 posts)
  1. samanthab

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 31 2017 15:24:50
    #

Login to Send PM

It's very small sorry for the crumbs, put it in a cookie tin as it was the closet container. Worried the duplex neighbor's allowing homeless to stay with him has brought us bed bugs or something...

Did find bed bugs in a hotel 1 1/2 years ago, (threw away luggage and stripped in the garage and washed clothes on high and dryer for 2 hours on high. Heat treated shoes then chemically treated.) Those bugs looked a little different, but they had a terrible infestation.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 31 2017 15:29:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Nothing like a bed bug, you're in the clear.

3. samanthab

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 31 2017 15:36:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Neighbor got back from tropical region, wondering with the pointy head of it could be a kissing bug maybe. Thanks.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 31 2017 15:49:33
    #

Login to Send PM

More weevil than kissing bug.

5. samanthab

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 31 2017 15:56:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I think your right! Looks like a grain weevil. Going to keep an eye on things, always been more cautious since the hotel experience. Don't know what a grain weevil was doing inside my couch, but it's harvest time in my area.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 31 2017 15:59:35
    #

Login to Send PM

samanthab - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Neighbor got back from tropical region, wondering with the pointy head of it could be a kissing bug maybe. Thanks.

Not a true bug (order Hemiptera), not a bed bug (cimicid), and not a kissing bug (reduviid). It's a weevil, so not Hemiptera but Coleoptera order of insect. Not exactly sure of its size, but it could be a granary weevil, a species of Sitophilus and that's a curculionid beetle.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 31 2017 16:01:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I think we were all typing at the same time and arrived at the same answer. That's encouraging. BTW, granary weevils are not able to fly. Only crawl to get around. Or can be carried around in stored food source.

8. samanthab

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 31 2017 16:30:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much!! Looks exactly like the grain/rice weevils I searched.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,217 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls