Possible BB situation? And dealing with building management

(2 posts)
  1. CanadianJubilee

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 16 2016 10:29:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Bedbuggers! Newly bit here, trying my best to stay calm. I'd really appreciate another opinion on this; being my first exposure to possible bedbugs, I don't want to overreact and accidentally make the issue worse.

About three months ago, there was an isolated incident of a single dead bedbug found in my bathtub. I knew they were in the apartment building (this doesn't surprise me at all considering the roach infestation I've had since move-in), but it was the first time I'd seen any. No signs of bites, or other evidence of bedbugs in the apartment. I informed management that it might have come from a neighbour, bought myself climb-up interceptors for my bed, and confirmed that my mattress encasement (which I've had since move-in) was sealed. And that was that, up until 3 weeks ago.

First sign of bites appeared on the week of June 27. Four tiny little bites on my left arm, and three on my right hand. They were in groups of two, not itchy, and not very prominent. A little soft at first, went hard after I poked at them too much. They look more like tiny pimples than most bite pictures I've seen, but since people react differently I made note of them and searched the bed. No sign of feces, bloodstains, anything, and nothing in the climb-up traps except a dead baby roach. They're still kind of on my arm, though they've faded a lot in the 3 weeks.

July 9, 2 new bites appeared on my left foot. These were very different in appearance, and I thought they were mosquito bites at first (itched like them for a bit too, but the itching faded after the first day). These were very, very different in appearance from the other bites, more obvious. Still no sign of bedbugs anywhere on the bed.

July 14, I was sitting on the couch and felt something on my arm. Look, and there was a tiny black bug that looked about the size of a bedbug. I couldn't get a good look at it because I jumped and it fell (and I lost it on the brown couch), but it didn't seem very flat like the dead bedbug I'd found months ago. That was my one consolation as I did a visual inspection of the couch and every crevice I could get into. Didn't find anything.

July 15. Noticed a row of 5 circular marks on my right elbow (same arm the bug had been on, different location). They wouldn't have even struck me to be possible bedbug marks if they hadn't been in a line, because my arms are very prone to this sort of tiny pimple-like marking anyways. They're barely even raised, and different from all the other possible bites so far.

Today, July 16, I submitted an inspection request to building management following another failed visual inspection by myself. The most likely culprit at this point is the couch, but there's so many little nooks and crannies I can't possibly inspect it all myself and expect to get an accurate result. The bed still seems to be isolated, and the bedsheets are currently white so any marks would be very obvious.

I have 2 concerns at this point:

1. How likely is it that this is a bedbug issue? Because of the infrequency of the bites, I'd guess it's a lone bug that snuck it's way in. Assuming it got in June 26 and was a pregnant female, at what point should I expect to start seeing nymphs or start experiencing more bites? Or is this the normal bite frequency for multiple bedbugs? Do I already have a small infestation on my hands?

2. I'm not very confident on how building management will handle this, given how they're (not) handling the roaches so far. I had a bedbug scare earlier in the year (that turned out to be a baby roach on my pillow) and in my panic called them, and they scheduled a treatment without even IDing the bug or doing any sort of inspection of my unit first (and from people I showed the photo of the bug to afterwards, it was more than obvious to anyone other than a panicking me that it was a roach). I'm trying to remember the details of the preparation sheet, and can only recall it said something about spraying.

Is it a big red flag if I'm insisting they do an inspection and they just move ahead with treatment first anyways? Because previous experiences with them indicate that's most likely what they're going to do. I want to get a dog in here to check since they seem to be far more accurate, but bedbug dogs are expensive. Can I insist the building help me cover the cost if they refuse to do their own inspection? What are some possible next steps if they don't want to inspect?

Thank you for any insight or advice anyone can give!

2. CanadianJubilee

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jul 21 2016 20:19:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: There's now a huge welt of bite marks on the underside of my right arm. Still no sign of blood or anything on my white bedsheets. The couch armrest is on the right side, I've been avoiding leaning my arm against it but obviously that means nothing.

Still no response from building management.

Another question to add to the list: I had to refill my ClimbUp interceptors the other day, and used baby powder made with talc. Is that good enough? Do I have to hunt down something else made of talc powder, and if so where can I find it?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,922 posts in 50,063 topics over 155 months by 21,886 of 22,374 members. Latest: kslone1006, Hex999, Gauned