Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

portions of bedbug genome sequenced

(4 posts)
  1. bait

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 25 2011 0:31:23
    #

Login to Send PM

There's new research on C. lectularius DNA by Ohio State Univ., Transcriptomics of the Bed Bug" (Bai, Mamidala, Rajarapu, Jones, Mittapalli)

Published online by PLoS One, here's the address:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0016336?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+plosone%2FPLoSONE+%28PLoS+ONE+Alerts%3A+New+Articles%29

"this is the first study to elucidate the genetic makeup of C. lectularius."

To simplify, I found a quote from the Wall Street Journal, "bedbugs may have boosted their natural defenses by generating higher levels of enzymes that can cleanse them of poisons."

Bait

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 25 2011 8:14:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Bait,

Sorry stuck in pedant mode today.

Transcriptomics is the science of expressed parts of the DNA, the messenger sequences that make things happens for want of a better phrase.

The idea is that you want to see what genes are expressed to greater and lesser extents to work out the genetic mechanisms for metabolism and resistance.

Although its a powerful tool and tells us a lot about what is actually going on genetically it usually encompasses less than 5% of the total genome of an organism. The study I would like to see are differential display or DD to cover bedbugs from the same colony both exposed to various insecticides and a control group of non exposed. Sadly DD when I last used it was a devilishly complex protocol and not many people seemed to get good reproducible results which is why in the late 90's it used to cost tens of thousands to get an experiment run.

Each step is a step in the right direction though.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 25 2011 11:53:33
    #

Login to Send PM

So in a nut shell, pesticide resistant bedbugs switched on their pesticide-resistance genes in response to...wait for it...pesticides!

Not that surprising really but as you say David, each step is a step in the right direction (unless you are facing the wrong way! )

4. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 25 2011 20:09:43
    #

Login to Send PM

We need to kill them from the inside out. What we need, is to study the molecular make-up of their reproductive systems and find something that once in their body would make them infertile that we can ingest. Once in our bloodstream and they ingest our blood they would not be able to reproduce and eventually die off.
    Perhaps in conjunction with a residual treatment that overrides whatever defenses their bodies have created against pesticides would be good. Too bad I am not a science or math person.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,703 posts in 49,532 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,143 members. Latest: shawnpayne1982, JaphaSundog, Missdebra2323