(8 posts)
  1. allcreatures

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 23 2014 3:24:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi

I see the Polti "Edition Disinfector" machine (which comes with the disinfector attachment) is quite similar to the "Cimex Eradicator". From what I can see the differences are a slightly higher flow rate (110 vs 80 g per minute) and a continuously variable pressure (and/or velocity?). The Edition Disinfector has a five-level pressure adjustment instead of continuous.

For use at home rather than by a professional pest controller I imagine the flow rate is not a big deal since taking 25% longer doing the treatment is acceptable. The pressure might be more significant though, since David has mentioned before that the steam/air blowing BBs around instead of heating them up is a real issue. On the other hand, it is cheaper than the Cimex Eradicator.

Who has tried this model and how did you find it overall and the pressure settings in particular?

How can you tell when you have the pressure adjusted optimally?

Thanks

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 24 2014 0:24:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Two pros here have extensive experience with the Polti Cimex Eradicator (Franco, aka EffeCi, and David, aka Bed-bugscouk) and one of them is active here now. David will likely answer this question soon if he can.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 25 2014 6:15:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have had a quick look but cant find the full technical specification online.

I can only really repeat the process of how we came to the decision of which model was to be adapted. Out of the 30+ models in front of me there was only one that met the exact technical specification in terms of features at what would be an affordable cost. This unit was then modified to become the CE and it did not start as an edition steamer.

I am sorry that I cant be more open about the exact technical reasons why it was selected (mainly because someone reading it may assume they have all the answers when they don't).

The CE is an awesome machine though and still my tool of choice for bedbugs.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. allcreatures

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 25 2014 10:10:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David. Would be great to hear from EffeCi also...

The rest of this isn't directed at you David, just some comments from me...

Hard to tell from this video what the lowest setting is like. Near the start, although the steam looks quite gentle in terms of velocity, it shows net curtains getting blown around. Also though it shows the disinfector attachment I don't think the Edition is shown anywhere in this video.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Player

5. allcreatures

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 25 2014 10:27:41
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 4 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    I have had a quick look but cant find the full technical specification online.

Here it is (via google translate from http://www.polti.it/it/catalog/consumer/300004/300396)

| System | Pressure boiler |
    | Max | 3.5 bar |
    | Pressure | Yes it is |
    | Pressure gauge for testing | I have not |
    | Steam Output | Up to 80 g / min |
    | Steam control | Yes, on 5 levels |
    | Boiler material | Special Extra Alp Aluminium Alloy |
    | Boiler volume | 1.7 l |
    | Useful capacity | 1.3 l |
    | Steam ready indicator | Yes it is |
    | Low water level indicator | I have not |
    | Vacuum function | I have not |
    | Parking System | Yes it is |
    | Power boiler | 1500 W |
    | Max | 2250 W connecting the iron |
    | Dimensions (WxDxH) | Ø 34 x 32.5 cm |
    | Weight | 4.5 kg |
    | Product code | PTEU0229 |
    | EAN | 8007411008276 |

and for comparison the Cimex Eradicator:

| System | Pressurized boiler |
    | Max pressure | 4 bar |
    | Pressure switch | Yes |
    | Pressure gauge | Yes |
    | Steam output | Up to 110 g/min |
    | Steam adjustment | Continuous |
    | Boiler material | Stainless steel |
    | Boiler volume | 2.9 L |
    | Use capacity | 2 L |
    | Steam ready indicator | Yes |
    | Low water level indicator | Yes, visual and acoustic |
    | Vacuum function | No |
    | Parking system | No |
    | Boiler power | 1500 W |
    | Nozzle power | 750 W |
    | Max power | 2250 W |
    | Dimensions (WxDxH) | ø 32 x 34 cm |
    | Weight | 4.9 kg |
    | Product Code | PTGB0046 |

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 25 2014 10:35:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The video is based on the leicospirra and vaparetto models so the pressure indicated by the blinds moving is not going to give you the answer on the edition unit as its not the one being used.

The disinfector technology is also available as a medicated medical unit which is much larger and commercial grade. Its actually the one they lent me when I did my pre-Italy testing which ran on a 5 pressure dial selector. I failed it because the lowest pressure was too high to safely work with when it comes to bedbugs.

Now the difference may only be 1% - 3% efficiency but when it comes to optimisation we even had input on the colours because that can have an impact of people dealing with anxiety due to bedbugs.

I am not sure that Franco is around much at the moment because he has a super sized project that has been keeping him busy.

David

7. allcreatures

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Aug 9 2014 11:34:10
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 2 weeks ago  » 
    The disinfector technology is also available as a medicated medical unit which is much larger and commercial grade. Its actually the one they lent me when I did my pre-Italy testing which ran on a 5 pressure dial selector. I failed it because the lowest pressure was too high to safely work with when it comes to bedbugs.

OK, I did get an edition disinfector a while back and I thought I'd report back on what I found.

I set it to the recommended pressure setting in the disinfector attachment manual (setting 3 of 5).

To test whether the pressure / velocity was suitable, in the absence of actual bedbugs to do an experiment, I tried scattering a few things on paper as bed bug substitutes and directing the steam at them from a distance of a few centimetres holding the steam outlet at an angle maybe 10 or 15 degrees from the surface normal (i.e. almost directly pointing at the flat surface). I did all of this after pulling the trigger on the attachment for long enough to ensure the liquid water that you get to start with was gone.

First, dried cous cous - result, they didn't get blown around (cous cous tends to stick to things when wet, but these didn't stick since I didn't do it for long). OK, cous cous doesn't much resemble a bed bug, so I tried dried chilli seeds. These are exactly bed-bug diameter and are pretty flat. On the other hand I would guess they are a little lighter than a bed bug since they're dried. Chilli seeds don't have legs: I guess that is a bit of a wash since the chilli seeds can't hold on for dear life, but on the other hand they're not raised off the surface to catch the draught. Best bed bug simulacrum I'm going to get at short notice I think! Result: the steam blew a small fraction of the seeds (5%?) varying distances, as much as 2 or 3 cm but mostly less.

Max temperature, measured with uncalibrated kitchen thermocouple a cm or two away from steam outlet, directed straight onto the probe: 134.5 centigrade. A bit disappointing compared with the quoted 180 centigrade, but high enough to be useful I think, and hotter than a normal steam cleaner.

Surface temperature achieved when passing at a distance of about 2.5 cm from a mattress, moving the outlet at a speed of a couple of centimetres (about an inch) per second across the surface: 85 centigrade, measured using an uncalibrated infrared laser thermometer. Again a little disappointing, but just about good enough.

I expect the Cimex Eradicator model may be worth the extra cash for professionals since the quoted flow rate is higher, so presumably they can treat a given area faster. As David points out the pressure is also more controllable. For me as somebody just treating their own flat (apartment), 600 pounds was a bit eye-watering, so I opted to keep that extra 400 or so and go for the Edition Disinfector, and on the basis of these measurements I think that was probably the right choice for me.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 10 2014 11:57:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The only pressure test that is valid is one that is conducted with dead bedbugs at all life stages and cast skins.

I think you will be amazed at how little pressure is required to blow a bedbug and keep it alive across the room.

It is also not a matter of working quickly, its about getting the job done correctly. Professionals are only faster because they know where needs to be worked on based on experience.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,685 posts in 50,015 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me