(14 posts)
  1. Ticks are Worse

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 28 2012 19:54:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Greetings,

I have been reading your forum for weeks hoping that some of your troubles could help me with mine.

I do not have bed bugs... I am infested with Brown Dog Ticks! :-O

Ticks have many of the same habits as bed bugs but there isn't much info on fighting them so I figured I'd tap the wisdom here and I was hoping that steam would be a big part of my equation. Well, today, I caught a partially engorged female that must have fallen from the dog (which is on every preventative known to man... go figure). I put the tick under a towel, pulled out my old Ladybuy XL with bonnet on and did a slow pass... TICK LIVES. I took the bonnet off and just had the tick under the towel... TICK LIVES. I remove the towel and pass over the tick with straight steam... TICKS EFFING LIVES... RAGE!!!! I set the steamer over the tick and blast it for 5 seconds almost touching the thing... TICK dies?! Yes... tick dies. NO!!! EFFING TICK IS STILL ALIVE!!! It got burned for 5 seconds straight with steam and still is living and has been in a plastic bag LIVING all night.

So, apparently ticks are possibly a bit hardier than bedbugs. So, if steam is gonna be in my arsenal, it's gonna have to be a hell of a lot hotter than normal.

I saw on the Polti US site that the Disinfector was "coming soon": POLTI USA site

Does anyone know how far away soon is? It runs a tip temp of over 300 degrees, correct?

Do any of you insect gurus know if that temp would be effective against the industrial brown dog ticks?

I know it's not bed bugs but if anyone has an advice, it would be so very appreciated.

2. Ticks are Worse

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 3 2012 15:19:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there not one "pest expert" here with any insight on ticks?! They are infesting just like the bed bugs.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 3 2012 17:26:52
    #

Login to Send PM

There are very few here who are experts on pests generally or on the Polti timeline.

So I changed your title to make it clearer that you have questions about ticks and about the Polti machine. This may attract the right kind of expert input.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Sep 4 2012 9:51:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its difficult to be 100^% certain without knowing the species of tick and doing more research but but the reason the Polti steam dissinfector is so effective is that the temperature produced is 180 C or 356 F as opposed to a "normal" steam machine which is 100 C or 212 F.

That having been said most life forms expire when heated to above 60 C or 140 F as the proteins inside them denature (think of an egg white when you cook it).

I would advise you to confirm the species first and foremost.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. Ticks are Worse

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 19 2012 12:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 2 weeks ago  » 
    ...I changed your title to make it clearer that you have questions about ticks and about the Polti machine. This may attract the right kind of expert input.

THANK YOU!!

6. Ticks are Worse

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 19 2012 12:35:09
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 2 weeks ago  » 
    Hi,
    Its difficult to be 100^% certain without knowing the species of tick and doing more research but but the reason the Polti steam dissinfector is so effective is that the temperature produced is 180 C or 356 F as opposed to a "normal" steam machine which is 100 C or 212 F.
    That having been said most life forms expire when heated to above 60 C or 140 F as the proteins inside them denature (think of an egg white when you cook it).
    I would advise you to confirm the species first and foremost.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I have confirmed via PCO that its actually two types of ticks in my samples. I have the American Dog Tick and the Brown Dog Tick. WTF?!

I can not imagine anything living at 350degrees! That's why I'm so anxious for the Polti to arrive in the US. I have the ladybug, have for years, and it's just not hot enough apparently for these hardy b*stards. I simply could NOT believe what I was witnessing with this tick who wouldn't die. With a short pass steaming furniture and whatnot, it certainly wouldn't kill them. But I would guess that 350 would!

Has there been any more info on the Polti?

Thanks so much for the response!

7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 19 2012 18:11:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Ticks may be considered much tougher, or heartier, than bed bugs for a number of reasons.

While we site that "under ideal conditions" a bed bug may last about 18 months without feeding, there are ticks that can do that "standing on their heads".

Hang on to your female engorged tick and watch what happens. Depending upon species, and individual speciman, you may be quite surprised at the number of eggs she expels, as it can be hundreds. Then try this:

a) Take half the eggs and place them in alcohol.

b) Take the other half and place them in a jar to hatch out. BUT, be really careful what type of jar you select for this pupose as it needs to seal virtually air tight ! (Note: I once did these two steps and used a typical baby food jar only to find several tiny tick hatchlings crawling across my desk & office.) The freshly hatched ticks are so small that they may be able crawl through the threads of the glass jar and the metal lid to escape the jar.

Remember that ticks are not insects, they are arachnids. There are two types of ticks; soft and hard ticks.

Further, ticks are known disease carriers/transmitters capable of transmitting a number of serious pathogens/diseases.

And, even though your pooch is on some tick type treatment product, depending upon which product being used, the tick may need to be exposed to the treatment for a period of time to assure mortality occurs.

It is possible for certain tick species to breed indoors.

Read up on the ticks in your area and learn what needs to be done.

Ticks generally are found in certain ecotomes.

Generally speaking, habitat modifications, mowing, weed control and perimeter exterior spray applications are effective against ticks.

Please advise if any other questions or concerns, hope this helps ! paul b.

8. Ticks are Worse

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 19 2012 19:37:39
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hang on to your female engorged tick and watch what happens. Depending upon species, and individual speciman, you may be quite surprised at the number of eggs she expels, as it can be hundreds. Then try this:
    a) Take half the eggs and place them in alcohol.
    b) Take the other half and place them in a jar to hatch out. BUT, be really careful what type of jar you select for this pupose as it needs to seal virtually air tight ! (Note: I once did these two steps and used a typical baby food jar only to find several tiny tick hatchlings crawling across my desk & office.) The freshly hatched ticks are so small that they may be able crawl through the threads of the glass jar and the metal lid to escape the jar.
    Remember that ticks are not insects, they are arachnids. There are two types of ticks; soft and hard ticks.
    Further, ticks are known disease carriers/transmitters capable of transmitting a number of serious pathogens/diseases.
    And, even though your pooch is on some tick type treatment product, depending upon which product being used, the tick may need to be exposed to the treatment for a period of time to assure mortality occurs.
    Read up on the ticks in your area and learn what needs to be done.
    Ticks generally are found in certain ecotomes.
    Generally speaking, habitat modifications, mowing, weed control and perimeter exterior spray applications are effective against ticks.
    Please advise if any other questions or concerns, hope this helps ! paul b.

Thank you so much for your response!!!! That particular tick I killed in a fit of rage because she wouldn't die... she went into a bag of alcohol. Blech. Seriously, what doesn't die with 200 degree steam sitting on them for 30 seconds?

That said, you are so effing right about the eggs. When we were doing a thorough cleaning of the master bedroom (the hot zone) we took the dresser apart. Thank GOD I used a flashlight and saw the back of a previously engorged tick in a back slit of the wood... like I don't even know how she fit! I pulled her out with a tweezer and she was dry as a bone and flat as a pancake but still big and round from being engorged. She was so dry and multi-colored that we assumed she was dead. She was in a Dixie cup when I saw a leg twitch!!! They are ridiculous. At any rate, looking closer we saw this cluster of eggs. WTF?!!! So, we try to pull the eggs out to take a look and while some of them were still eggs, some were hatching at that moment. The tiniest translucent little babies started scurrying everywhere. My husband FREAKED and just grabbed the dresser with a scream and ran it out to the front for the garbage. He said, "FU#K that... no dresser is worth saving with that in my mind!"

We've already had two PCO treatments but to be honest, the PCO's sorta stink. I just don't think any of them care enough. A can of Precor 2000 is just not the answer. I have the materials to do it on my own and I may just go that route after the next scheduled treatment.

I have severe chemical sensitivities and soooo wanted to go the natural route but because of the diseases ticks carry, and the fact that I've had a 6 year old and 7 year old bitten, I just couldn't take the chance. These effers need to DIE.

The ones infesting the house are brown dog ticks because they are capable of completing their life-cycle completely indoors. They are so much grosser than bedbugs... I can not begin to explain the horror of living with them!

As a final note, my husband called Polti-USA and they said that the disinfector should be available by October 1st. I'm so excited I can barely stand it.

9. Polti

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 11 2012 10:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Greetings,
    Polti's Cimex Eradicator will be available in the U.S.A. by the end of this year.
    This product delivers a overheated steam up to 356°F: steam is generated in a pressurized boiler like traditional steam cleaners, but it gets overheated in a second step.
    The steam flows from the delivery nozzle in a more diffused and gentle way and in the form of a cloud. In this way, the steam of Cimex Eradicator is able to encase all the surfaces, maintaining its high temperature.
    The product efficency has been widely tested against bedbugs, but we do not have specific tests against dog ticks.

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 11 2012 10:46:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I have confirmed via PCO that its actually two types of ticks in my samples. I have the American Dog Tick and the Brown Dog Tick.

As far as I know the BDT is one species, not the ADT.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  11. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 11 2012 10:51:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the system should be put in the hands of New York's best steam treating bed bug killer, me I currently use a seam system that reaches 398 degrees but, if your machine is better, I'll make you famous.

12. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2012 4:19:22
    #

Login to Send PM

As David did, you'll be fascinated by Polti's steamwand, John...

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2012 4:34:52
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi,

Especially since its been optimised, I have built a 3 stage process around it and get great results.

Maybe KQ could fly us both to NY to teach him how to use it, LOL.

David

14. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Oct 13 2012 18:10:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Any idea of cost for the Polti steamer? Their other steamers sold in US have been cost prohibitive for consumers. Hopefully, this one will be more affordable.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,909 posts in 50,061 topics over 155 months by 21,885 of 22,373 members. Latest: Delusionalparasitosis, kslone1006, Hex999