Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Poll: How long do YOU dry for?

(6 posts)
  1. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jun 14 2009 17:28:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Just out of curiosity... I know people use different dryers, but I was wondering how many quarters you all choose to use up.

On a wet load, with only clothing (the thickest being jeans or a sweatshirt), loosely packed, in a large laundromat dryer, I do 90 minutes (I tested the dryer once with a insta-read thermometer and it was a nice 150 degrees). I get worried, though, when a pair of socks that was balled together comes out of the dyer kind of... damp still. Argh!

I still play around with dry loads, though...

2. Grindstone99

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jun 20 2009 12:00:54
    #

Login to Send PM

My first PCO (which I fired) said 10 minutes with already dry clothes. I don't trust that at all!

If they are wet, I usually go 30 minutes after being dry.

3. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jun 20 2009 20:51:12
    #

Login to Send PM

for me...

wet clothing: until dry plus 20 minutes
    dry clothing: about a half hour
    heavier items like pillows or comforters (from dry): one hour (don't overstuff the dryer though)
    items such as bookbags, duffel bags, etc: around a half hour as well.

i now often travel with a duffel bag or large hiking pack rather than a suitcase, that way i can dryer my items and the bag when i return home.

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jun 20 2009 21:00:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Unless you measure it, you are just gambling. See the tag

Jim

5. goawaybugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jun 20 2009 22:29:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I've started testing the temperature 45 minutes before I plan to take the clothes out. If it reaches 130 on the insta-read within a couple of minutes, I stop measuring and let it go to the end (I'm assuming 120 is the lethal temperature and giving myself a 10 degree margin of error). If it struggles to get above 125, I add on another 15 or 30 minutes (depending on how paranoid I'm feeling) and measure again 15 to 30 minutes later. 90 minutes for wet is my default, assuming the temperature is high enough 45 minutes prior to the end, and 60 to 90 minutes for dry.

One other thing I've noticed is that putting too few items in the dryer is almost as bad as too many. Something about the clothes flinging against one another seems to minimize pockets of air that don't heat up.

6. paranoidinlv

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 16:36:03
    #

Login to Send PM

So is there a "rule of thumb" about how long it needs to be at 120+ degrees to kill them? I'm just getting started with this whole problem and I'm striving to find a balance between paranoia and good practice.....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982