(8 posts)
  1. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed May 14 2008 21:31:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed Bugs: What's Really Working (Part 1) from Pest Management Professional:

http://www.mypmp.net/pestcontrol/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=504719&pageID=1&sk=&date=

Still, please remember that the last time we linked to a PMP article it was the thoroughly depressing pest management survey. Meaning... well, you get my meaning.

2. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 15 2008 3:26:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Interesting article.

I must confess I have had to clean a little coffee off my LCD screen this morning having read that some of the busy companies are doing up to 10 cases per week. Two days this week we have worked on more than 10 cases in the day with an average of 6-10 cases most days. Even when I started this as a dedicated service in 2005 I was getting 1 or 2 cases per day I guess it's a strong indication that things are either worse in London or we started ahead of the US and things are still catching up.

It truly is a nasty and complex problem to deal with at the best of times. Life was so much easier when all I had to do was 10 -12 rats/mice/cockroach/flea jobs per day but I have to say nowhere near as mentally stimulating.

David

3. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 15 2008 19:23:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Well this article shows us that most pco's are NOT doing their best and don't want to put the work into the problem.What was documented in this article is the best way to ensure success.How many have hired pco's and had it done this way? A handful. Very sad.
    Most get the spray and pray approach which produces disappointing results to say the least.The pco's need a standardized protocol such as described in this article,but most don't want to put in the work or would want to charge a fortune for it.

4. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 15 2008 20:43:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Might have to start a new thread on the subject of a standardised approach. I see what you are getting at but the fact is that there was a standard protocol in the 70's and it seemed to work until about 2005 in the UK, after that it all went a bit south.

If you prescribe the steps to carry out the job you will get 99 out of 100 PCO's doing the same thing for good or bad.

If you encourage PCO's to study the subject and develop a different approach to the situation you develop people who appreciate that each infestation is unique. Yes some commonalities exist but they are basically all unique in how they respond to treatment.

It is easier to see from the perspective of someone who seems a lot of different properties and infestations. Most people suffering from an infestation only experience bed bugs in a limited number of environments a hotel room or their home.

A fixed protocol is actually not much better than spray and pray you just get more steps for your money.

David

5. Bugless

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 16 2008 0:27:01
    #

Login to Send PM

The following online book illustrates excellent skill, professionalism, and experience of a PCO in another line of vermin infestation -- rats.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17243/17243-h/17243-h.htm

The book is quite short and can be read in 2 or 3 hours. It was written over 100 years ago, but the capability and intelligence of the PCO is very evident. He has clearly had years of experience and has given much thought to his profession. The book is also very well written.

In relation to bedbugs, the book shows the kind of skill that is needed -- not the spray and pray approach.

6. mangycur

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat May 24 2008 15:59:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm chagrined about something one of the pcos said in the article. something to the effect of "we don't want the customer trying to do their own vacumming. We want to do it ourselves becuase the customer doesn't do as good a job as we do and they make it worse by spreading the bugs around."

I'm sure they're right and that probably does happen, but maybe one of the keys to a truly integrated pest management protocol should be educating the customers on how to do some of their own vacuuming and steaming.

For that matter, my first pco took the "leave it to us professionals little lady" attitude and I later found out they weren't up to snuff (through my own research).

So here I was, wringing my hands like a helpless waif, while the knights in shining armour were just mediocre dudes in fancy suits.

Meanwhile, even if you get a fabulous pco, you could get a reinfestation. And that's more money. And the pcos are getting more work than they can keep up with, anyway.

I'm starting to lean towards the idea that we all need to get pco training. Maybe not for chemicals, but for steaming, vacuuming and inspecting. I'm tired of feeling helpless. So much sweat and worry over how to treat my books, etc, and doubting whether I have the ability to do it right--helpless in my own home with my own stuff! We sufferers are intelligent human beings with the ability to learn.

Just thinking out loud here.

7. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jul 6 2008 16:44:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Part II of this What's Really Working series from Pest Management Professional is now online:

http://www.mypmp.net/pestcontrol/Feature+Article/Bed-Bugs-Whats-Really-Working-mdash-Part-2/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/512056

And while it has lots of things to think about, I must say it contains at least one truly extraordinary statement that just floored me:

"We're concerned about all the reports we read regarding product efficacy and bed bug resistance," adds Stephen Gates, director of technical services at Cook's Pest Control in Decatur, Ala. "Because of this, we make sure we treat surrounding units of multi-family housing and hotel accounts before we treat the infested units. We don't want to chase bed bugs from infested units into untreated ones."

Emphasis added.

8. crawledon

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 19:21:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Nomo,
    I felt your emphasis all the way in my apartment.

The other exciting thing I read in this report:

"We need 100-percent cooperation of building management," affirms Scott McNeely of McNeely Pest Control, Winston-Salem, N.C. "When an apartment unit has bed bugs, we always inspect and treat all of the surrounding units. That takes good communication, with and full cooperation of, building management."

All I can say is, "Wow." If only my management company.....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,899 posts in 50,058 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186