Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Pls Help mom: can I use a passive with climb ups and mattress covers?

(7 posts)
  1. Momoftwo

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2012 14:01:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    I'm at my witts end and Are asking for your help. I'm new at this and suspect we are getting bitten by bbs, I woke up at 4am to find 3 bites, 2 in face about 1 in apart and one in torso, baby in same bed getting mysterious bytes and brother in other room too. These bites almost disappear by morning, just leave super tiny bumps by then, I had to take a picture to believe it, hubby not showing bytes but he might not react, some redness from scratching maybe.
    While I confirm and catch real ones (yeap, as opposed to "fake" ones running on no sleep here for about a month now...), can I use the passive monitors AND the climb ups AND mistress protectors? And with an active toddler and 8 year old, how do I keep areas of my house contained? Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Please please help me, I'm having anxiety attacks and this is all I can think of. We just bought a packtite but it was probably too late, husband travels about once a month.
    I forgot to mention that 3 days ago we had a k9 come because of our suspicions but didn't find anything, there was a "false" alarm because the owner didn't find anything. I guess we were in the 2% of error.
    Also, how do I find a reputable PCO in Orlando to help me? Scared of scams or inexperienced ones. Thanks so much.

2. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2012 15:53:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Climbups are meant to isolate the bed. Passives are meant to provide a harborage for an infestation, so that they can be more quickly discovered. The do not do anything to deter/isolate the bed bugs. They are working at cross purposes if you use them together, and so you want to commit to one or the other.

The mattress cover will make the mattress easier to inspect. I use mine for this reason. There is no reason to not use them with either a passive or a climb-up, but they are not a necessity. There's a fact for the encasements: http://bedbugger.com/encasements/ and for the Passive/Climbups: http://bedbugger.com/usefulstuff/

3. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2012 15:55:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Since you're still trying to determine what exactly is going on, you should also consider non-bedbug possibilities as well.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2012 16:24:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In short yes you can use all three but the reality is that early detection and confirmation only 1 of the 3 is essential.

If you design of bed is appropriate and you want to encase a box spring encasement adds more value than mattress and as my posting history will attest I am not a fan of isolating beds. I prefer free movement and early detection and have years of data that support that approach.

However I will also add some weight to the very valid point that until you confirm it as bedbugs its best to keep an open mind. Which is why I would keep things simple until its confirmed.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly declare my vested interest in Passive Monitors as their inventor

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. Momoftwo

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2012 19:36:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone for your help, so, if I understand correctly, then the best thing is to encase the matress and use the passive monitors for now without the climbups?
    Just asking, why doesn't containing work? Or what have you seen in your experience that tells you not to contain the bed (ie, not to use the climbups?)
    I have put the passive monitor on the bed frame under the headboard, facing the box springs and upright (although there are a couple of inches between mattress and headboard), is there a better place to set it or should i place it flat, parallel to the floor on top of,the wood frame? We have a king size
    Thanks again, it's getting bedtime here and I'm starting to get anxious and scared...

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 3:57:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Momoftwo,

Not quite.

In my experience the best thing is to install Passive, then after that to encase the base section of the bed which is different from the mattress.

With regards the install I cant fully visualise that description, if you can take a picture I can comment better on the install location.

I don't isolate beds because the aim of the exercise for me is early detection and therefore its better not to change the bedbugs natural behavior patterns. Over the years I have seen many attempts to isolate beds and almost all of them have failed to do what people set out to do with them. In some cases the bedbugs simply set up home further away from the bed and "commute" to dinner or they simply work a way past the isolation and still get to you.

Its one of those classic situations where the idea looks good on paper and int he lab but when you actually apply it in the field and run its course you realise there are issues that come into play which make it less successful. Lets face it since the basic technology was first covered in a Patent from 1866 if it were that essential we would see new beds for sale with it already incorporated.

David

7. Momoftwo

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 1:12:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David,

I will take some pics and figure out how to post as far as the location of passive monitor. Probably in the next day.
    in the meantime I will remove the climbups and leave the bed as is, we have an old 5 yr old mattress cover on it for dust mites but nothing on the box spring. Since we are getting strange bites but no spots on the sheets I am praying that means no bedbugs, My understanding is that they leave these as soon as they start going back home right after biting you. Is that right?

Thanks again

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123