Please think and think again.

(16 posts)
  1. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 10:09:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry if this comes off the wrong way but I've noticed over the past few months that many of the folks here (non professionals) are taking on the roll of professional. Offering advice and support about something you know for sure is fantastic, but a lot of people are making comments in threads and making statements that are incorrect. Example - "Eggs are cemented in place and are very hard to remove". Yes, the female uses a cement like secretion to adhere the eggs to the surface. But - I'm sure you don't know that a half used piece of scotch tape can easily lift them from the surface. I do it every day and if you don't, I don't think you should suggest to know how "difficult" it is.

Some of the info posted by the lay person at times also suggests that they have learned this from other professionals here. Guess what, not all the pros agree with one another. I don't agree with a lot of what is written but I don't always get involved in the discussion. We all know how the never ending wars go on in threads where two pros go back and forth. Never letting things rest when two or more have a difference in opinion. Even when they are out gunned or proven wrong by superior knowledge on that given subject.

Point is - you don't become a pro by reading for a month or two here. You don't become a pro because you had a bed bug infestation. And, you're not always helping a person looking for answers when others here can offer better advice.

Please don't take it the wrong way and do continue to offer help when you know your info is a solid fact. Leave the technical stuff for the pros. I hope I didn't offend anyone - just looking to help, as are you. Forgive any typos - the phone has a mind all it's own.

Regards,
    John Furman
    Boot A Pest, Inc.
    New York's "Best Bed Bug Exterminator" NY Magazine

2. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 11:26:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi KillerQueen,

Not offended at all.....and it's something that needed to be said....IMHO. I try to offer support as I can and leave the more technical stuff to you guys (pros), but I've probably crossed the line as well. Just a nice reminder to all of us (laypersons) on how we should be offering help. I think everyone has something to offer, but we, as everyday folks, need to be clear, that we are not pro's and that our experience, advice, or support, is just our own thoughts, so that whoever is reading those thoughts are well aware of where we are coming from....does that make sense?

BTW, autocorrect typos are sometimes the best laughs of the day....not that I saw any in your posts. But, I've sent some *yikes* kind of texts before....all thanks to, um, autocorrect.

3. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 13:23:30
    #

Login to Send PM

You are a wonderful source of advocacy and support for us on this blog, Daylight. Your advice is sound and positive. I look forward to reading your posts. Thank you for your wise and cheerful comments. Please keep up your good work! You touch others with your sincere concern and good thoughts!

There are other bloggers who also know how to ease the pain we face. Thanks to all of you who post on here and bring comfort to us when we are uncertain and overwhelmed. Many nonprofessionals are very knowledgeable and can help us out too with good ideas and facts they have learned through reading the FAQ's and resources here and elsewhere and from their own personal experiences..

I can't emphasize enough my appreciation of the experienced knowledge and relevant facts that have been shared here by our professionals--more than I can name.

Many of us have grasped for help with trying to understand and deal with the difficulty of a bed bug infestation, be it small or large, it doesn't matter. So, thanks to all who sincerely try and give good advice. Opinions are given sometimes too, and that's okay, as long as we know how to distinguish opinion from fact.

I like to think of this site as a refuge from the insecurity of the topsy turvy world of bed bugs. I hope that everyone feels welcome and safe and tries very hard to be kind to one another. We need all the help we can get to make it through this.

4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 14:12:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Nice post Daylight!

5. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 15:09:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Abs!

6. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 15:27:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, Daylight, that is a very nice post!!!

7. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 15:38:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

I didn't proof read my long post above enough. I meant to say Butterfly, not Daylight on the first line. Butterfly deserved the Kudos and I feel so silly for my typo. I wish I could go back and edit that, but it's too late now.

Thanks for your nice comment, Butterfly. Sorry I got your name mixed up with my own.

8. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 15:57:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Daylight - 12 minutes ago  » 
    I didn't proof read my long post above enough. I meant to say Butterfly, not Daylight on the first line. Butterfly deserved the Kudos and I feel so silly for my typo. I wish I could go back and edit that, but it's too late now.
    Thanks for your nice comment, Butterfly. Sorry I got your name mixed up with my own.

Awww, Daylight, thank you for the kind words!!! And don't feel silly.....at all!! Your typo and your comments made me laugh and smile. It's those funny kinds of things that just happen that can brighten up another person's day....and you definitely brightened mine up!!

9. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 16:04:08
    #

Login to Send PM

All's well that ends well!

10. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 17:00:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Well said, Butterfly and Daylight.

I love the title of this thread. There are so many things to think about.

John, thank you for sharing your expertise, especially on the stickiness of bed bug eggs, with us! What took you so long!? I was worried not being able to get the eggs off if… I think it would be really nice of you to share your expertise with us as soon as you can when there is any difference in answer than what you experienced. If you don’t let us know, how do we know that we may be wrong? As long as all pros are civil, we would know your stand on an issue when you say enough said and do not wish to discuss further.

I respect ALL the pros here. It’s the truth. You all have X number years of experience in this industry. I think and think. How can anyone be so ‘out to lunch’(right usage here?)? The differences of opinions have to be based somewhere. Is it because of how you were taught, the environment including humidity, previous products used on the furniture and rooms, or some other reasons?

How do other fields handle differences among pros? How should the pros (and non-pros) come up with a better sharing experience?

JustChecking, not a therapist / bug pro
    Please click my user name on the left for these threads:
    (OR go through my thread starter list OR use the search engine)
    --->stress busters --->energy boosters
    --->songs of hope and faith --->help U sleep tonight
  11. BugsInTO

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 17:23:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't take offense, but I did go back and check my comments for the last while. I'll be more careful. I used to be clearer about saying I wasn't a pro or a lawyer etc. and a reminder is good.

It's a unique privlege to have access to professionals thru this forum and I value it highly. The different view points can get contentious, but that is to be expected, especially from professionals who are working on the edge of the "known" and trying to expand our understanding.

Knowledge comes to us in lots of different ways. Everyday, we are unlearning as much as we learn. What I really enjoy about this forum is people's willingness to dialogue on an individual's specific experience to try and apply theories or to extract knowledge. Yes, it makes some of us amateur sleuths sometimes. Once, during threads about coincidental instances of "maybe" bites occuring around brassiere lines, I dissected mine in the pursuit of knowledge.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 18:37:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi John,

I agree that non-experts have to be careful about giving bed bug treatment advice (as opposed to telling one's own story or offering bed bug support).

Saying "I just used DE and dried all my clothing on hot" or "I used ClimbUps under the bed" (ie sharing what you personally did) is one thing, but telling someone else they need to do these two things is very problematic in lots of ways.

Factual information about bed bug science is also important to get right and linking to sources is always best. Bed bug IDs should only be done by experts and a few experienced non-experts. People have to police themselves in this regard. I will ID certain species I am confident about, but not just anything. And it took me a while to become confident enough to do that.

That said, a lot of what is said here is repetitive, and a lot of posts would go unanswered-- at least for a while-- if non-experts did not respond to them in some way.

There is lots of advice I think non-expert Bedbuggers can give-- for example, not to throw everything out, or not to try and self-treat (or, if absolutely necessary, to get expert advice and follow label instructions, etc.) An important thing is to be aware of which practices are pretty much agreed on by all, vs. which ones are not.

Personally, I will repeat things I am sure about, and usually remind people I'm not an expert, and try to also say where I've heard things if I remember.

Note also the forum rules do cover a lot of this. Sometimes it's a judgment call, so if you think someone is overstepping, a gentle note asking about that might be helpful.

Here's what the Forum Rules say:

Giving Advice

Please do not give advice on anything you're not qualified to give advice about. This is tricky, in terms of rules, because to some degree, you have to regulate yourself.

Most consumers -- even those who have self-treated their homes -- should not be giving advice on which pesticides to buy and how to use them, for example, telling people to buy DE or how to apply DE. If we have a FAQ on it (like DE or steam), please direct people to those. If you don't agree with those FAQs or think something should be added, then please make a suggestion about that. Remember there are qualified experts here who may be willing to answer questions about pesticides and you can direct users to them.

Most consumers should not be identifying pest photos.

There may be exceptions. For example, I am not an expert but can ID shiny spider beetles and cockroaches from twenty paces, and can tell you if you probably have a bed bug. (Probably, because closely-related species like Swallow Bugs and Bat Bugs can't always easily be ruled out from photos.) I've even on occasion identified a bug as a closely-related species, but I deferred to our expert entomologists for the final ID. Some other long-time users are also good at identifying specific bugs, and some like spideyjg have much more encyclopedic knowledge than I do.

So if you're a consumer and you're absolutely sure about a bug ID, it's okay to respond, but in other cases, please leave bug IDs to expert professionals or more experienced consumers.

Remember that incorrectly suggesting something is or isn't a bed bug can put another forum user on an emotional roller coaster ride until the experts ride in and correct you, and think how you'd feel if you experienced that. Remember a consumer might not even stick around to get the conflicting ID, and then you just sent someone away wrongly thinking they had, or didn't have, bed bugs.

13. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2014 19:58:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the original post is good.

Lately people have been coming out of nowhere with strange advice.

I think if you are a non-pro and have been here for awhile you can give advice to people, but not advices that are PCO specific (on techniques, products, bb behaviors and bb facts)

Most of my advice are of psychological nature when I see someone that is way overwhelmed or traumatized, and I often give advice on local resources (good PCOs in my area, sometimes even health resources and social service type of references)

But as far as bed bug treatment, when someone is about to do something irrational, like self heat treat, or just about to throw out everything, or spend their last dime on a heat treatment when their infestation has never been confirmed, we have to step in.... just for safety issues

a pro might be away and not see the post for awhile

when it comes to ID, I always preface by saying you should wait for a pro for final confirmation, when I think it is a bed bug I usually say nothing (I just feel bad for the person), but when it's very obvious that it isn't I say something just to put the persons mind at ease and I still say wait for the pro

I find myself reposting stuff from the FAQ often

I got a lot of help from the peeps on here, I'd say all the pros are great and this forum is the best resource on the subject of bed bugs bar none

I think there should be a "head bugs" primer....

times to check out the Oscars now

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  14. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 3 2014 5:21:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Great post. I know i should be more clear in my posts here about the fact that i am no expert and that the advice i give is based solely on MY OWN experience in dealing with bedbugs within the environment of my own studio apartment (As well as knowledge i picked up from countless hours of reading about bedbugs and their biology) , and the advice may or may not be helpful to others, as things like the number of people living in the home, number of bedrooms, type of furniture present, e.t.c. all play a big role in how one is best able to tackle a bedbug issue and all of it is different from one person to the next. The stickiness of eggs debate is an excellent example, as in my situation the futon where i most often found eggs was made of a type of fabric that the eggs naturally adhered to extremely well and i had difficulty dislodging them even when using duct tape...but "Joe Blow" on the 2nd floor (A make believe person i made up to more easily prove my point here) might have a leather couch in which any eggs deposited on it might be very easy to remove and he obviously would be more fearful of the possibility of eggs being spread on clothing than i am. In my future posts on this site i will be sure to add that i am by no means a pro (I don't have that "framed piece of paper" on my wall)! and everything i mentioned is based only on my own dealings with the little buggers !

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  15. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 3 2014 7:59:36
    #

Login to Send PM

ITortureBugs4Revenge - 2 hours ago  » 
    The stickiness of eggs debate is an excellent example, as in my situation the futon where i most often found eggs was made of a type of fabric that the eggs naturally adhered to extremely well and i had difficulty dislodging them even when using duct tape...but "Joe Blow" on the 2nd floor (A make believe person i made up to more easily prove my point here) might have a leather couch in which any eggs deposited on it might be very easy to remove and he obviously would be more fearful of the possibility of eggs being spread on clothing than i am.

Hi ITortureBugs,

That is very good example of what I think is helpful to others....in the way that you described *your* own experience.....and the "Joe Blow" made me laugh.....always nice.

Anyway, I think it's helpful when people share what they have seen in their own home, or done as treatment, it's just we have to remember to be clear on the "I'm not a pro and this may not be the same for everyone" part of it all. I understand exactly where KQ is coming from and his concern, very much warranted... I think it's all about how we project our opinions that's important. We have to remember that others will read our comments and advice, who may or may not know that the various comments are made by "everyday" folks and not "pros" and will take those comments or advice to heart and apply it to their own situations. So, in essence, our comments can affect other's lives and it would be a shame if those comments made a person's situation worse instead of better. So, yeah, I agree with KQ, in that we have to be careful of what we say and how we represent ourselves on here.

Again.....love the "Joe Blow" comment....and the fact that you let us know that he was a make believe person.....lol.

16. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 3 2014 8:35:25
    #

Login to Send PM

The FAQs summarizes this nicely, and the egg example is a good one (I also like Joe Blow). I've been on this site a while and didn't know they prefer surfaces that are not slick to lay eggs on (Lou can correct if I misunderstood recent postings). I"m pretty careful to say I'm not an expert.

There is the ability to flag a post that states, and I'll use this as a recent example with no offense intended, to spray Pine Sol on your bed to rid your home of bedbugs. The abiity to flag helps police this issue since we can't expect NoBugs or the experts to read every post.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie