Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Please share Vikane effectiveness opinions for single dwelling.

(17 posts)
  1. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Aug 4 2008 18:44:19
    #

Login to Send PM

we live in a single dwelling on lots of at least one acre or more. I have had bites since January and we believe we brought them back from Equdore/Peru last summer. We were treated for BB for six months, then told the extensive infestation was Psocids, springtails and booklice. That was good. We stopped BB treatment and took major precautions to protect against the Psocids. That problem is almost non-existent, probably no more than the normal home, they seem to be a common bug. Now, about two months later after stopping BB treatment, the bites have returned, they are spaced regularly about every 4-5 days now, burny, blood spots on sheets, specs of pepper looking stuff, but no actual bugs. I have decided to Vikane as I can't live like this any longer. Dow out of Indianapolois has agreed to do it and I have the contract. Please post your opinion on single dwelling Vikane and the effectiveness. This is so expensive, it has to be a 100% kill. This is a huge financial comittment, please help with your opinions AND ESPECIALLY EXPERIENCE!

2. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Aug 4 2008 19:16:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you been able to locate any actual bed bug specimens?

Getting a proper identification on the problem pest is an important step.

3. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Aug 4 2008 19:26:14
    #

Login to Send PM

No, as I said in the post. No bugs, just other signs of blood stains, smear, bites, and the timing of the bites. But, we have had so much treatment, six months worth, I am not willing to wait another six months for a bb to surface. Last fall we found one bug, roundish and reddish brown, in our bed. Hubby looked at it and dismissed it as another bug, later saying that he felt is was so unlikely that we had bb he never believed it was possible. I don't think he gave the bug the proper attention, I reallllly wish I had looked at it under the scope. But, my question is regarding effectiveness of Vikane. We did find all kinds of other bugs, but none recently as our house has been poisened to the max. We did have a Psocid infestation due to a water leak and high humidity. Fixed that and got a dehumidifier.

4. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2008 17:52:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Aballen

I think the important question is to find out if the company doing the treatment has a guarantee that way if you still have problems they can re-do it

My vikane was not on a single family home - although PaulaW had that done successfully - there has been other posters here who have not had success-

so I think you also need to look at whether or not you will possibly be re-infesting yourself again

my vikane treatment was not 100% successful so I am still exterminating. it's gotten better and I hope to be BB free in a month or so but its been a huge financial burden to get this far

i am actually having some stuff re-vikane treated again along with the extermination

my best to you

Adele

5. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2008 19:41:15
    #

Login to Send PM

adele, why was your treatment not 100%? Failure to the Vikane or some other reason like being in an apartment?

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2008 20:14:06
    #

Login to Send PM

aballen,
    it's probably less confusing and more effective to have one open thread about your current dilemma. So should I close this one, or the one with 20 posts?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2008 20:18:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I am sorry, close the other one. I have not received much feedback, but I just read the success stories ans saw alot on Vikane.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 10:41:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks-- I closed the other one and directed people here. but people can still get to it here and read it:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/vikane-my-whole-house-please-read-if-you-have-had-it-or-pcos

9. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 16:02:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Aballen

well I don't have an answer to your question as to why it failed although there could be several reasons

the single family home vikane treatment has a much higher success rate than apartments - but the same risks apply that you still want to make sure that you are not reinfesting yourself from work or other family homes, etc.

I think Paula actually stored her cars in the garage to have them gassed also- you definitely want to do that if you can

I am in an apartment and the bugs could have been there when i moved there - or I could have taken them there when I stayed at the hotel before I moved in - or from my office, which was infested but is better now - you get the idea could be from anywhere

in any case - I am re-fumigating some stuff this weekend and exterminating as I write this note - so in the last month it's gotten significantly better and I hope to be bb free by the end of the month. that is my goal anyway we'll see if i make it

I believe there is one other person that I know here - ThePrey - that is in the same boat i am - vikane, moved to an apartment and still having problems

But the variables are much easier to control in a single family home so the success rate is usually higher

anyway - my best to you as always

Adele

10. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 20:29:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I know you are asking for opinions on Vikane but have you thought about brining in a dog for confirmation?
    You are looking a major investment and some proff might help your decision process. Thermal treatment if available could give you the same results and might be less money.
    Best of luck!
    Tony

11. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Aug 9 2008 7:43:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I have begged for a dog for two months. Can't get the only one in Ohio to come as he only likes to inspect BEFORE treatment, no to clear the dwelling after treatment. I am near Cincinnati if anyone has a dog referral, email me at abhurley@hotmail.com.

12. bugzbegone

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 14 2012 20:29:55
    #

Login to Send PM

First, If I posted incorrectly - I apologize. I may not write effectively as I just had a positive from the sniffing dogs today. The company I hired for a heat treatment sent the dogs because I complained of still being bitten, post treatment. On the closed forum/topic "vikane-my-whole-house..." Aballen was advised to Call the Dow representative in his/her area by "paulaw0919". This is a great start to obtain cost and location information. Can anyone advise - What division of Dow in what city? I am trying to determine if I can pay for the tent just after paying over $3000. on the thermal. Also I am sure that the further the PCO is from my home the more I will pay Thanks in advance.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 14 2012 23:13:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugzbegone,
    Did the canine handler search for and locate visual evidence of bed bugs? A dog alert alone is not a confirmation you have bed bugs.

That said, if you had heat treatment and the heat company then sent their dog which alerted to bed bugs, then I would assume the heat company would
    be retreating.

Again, I would try to get visual evidence if possible. Skin reactions sometimes seem to go on after bed bugs are gone, so they're not a reliable indicator.

14. bugzbegone

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 15 2012 14:24:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme, thank you so much for your reply. Yes, the handler did search for visual evidence. Both of his dogs gave a strong positive alert. I'm not certain he found anything because he did not show anything. We had a sleeper couch with the black streaks and dirt in it. My son took it to the trash dump in my car. He was bitten on that couch. That is when it began. We have tried living in DE, bagging all clothing, changing beds and vacuuming every day. We disposed of everything not necessary for survival - including beds (after heat).

Your assumption that the heat contractor is retreating concerns me - if I understand. The handlers were a hubby and wife. The lady asked me explicit questions. It seemed as if she was after information that would prove re-infestation. The heat was a business transaction and the heat contractor does stand to loose if she must re-treat. Were you indicating that she is falling back (as in go away) or she intends to repeat the heat treatment? Fun thing is we did not leave the house after the thermal (24 hours) and were still bitten (the swollen papules you find on the internet). The reactions itch but with the reactions there are no bite marks only itch and swelling. Bite marks are papules that also itch. Please, please correct me if necessary. Nothing would be finer that to know the bugs are gone.

Bless you for your reply - I'm a newbie so if I wrote too much I apologize. Also, this situation is emotional and I appreciate any information from any member. Once an individual lives with the hitch-hikers all control is gone from that persons life. Thank you again.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 15 2012 16:12:20
    #

Login to Send PM

By "retreating" I meant that IF your dog inspection was considered positive AND you have some kind of guarantee, the heat company would retreat (or treat again) based in the k9 inspection. I assume this only because it sounds like the heat company sent their own dog team in.

I am unclear on what happened in your case-- what the canine handlers said and what the heat company plans to do.

Dog handlers either follow a dog alert with a careful visual inspection, or they take the dog's word for it. Can you tell me which is the case here?

Either the dog team declared that you have bed bugs based solely on the alerts (in which case I would expect the heat company to retreat, since they sent the dog team to check).

Or the dog team said you don't have evidence of bed bugs because they followed the alert with a careful visual inspection and the alert was not confirmed by the finding of visual evidence, and in this case I would not expect retreatment.

If you had a continuing problem, whether they'd treat again depends on your contract And guarantee, of course, but I assume there was one since they followed up on your complaint by sending their dog team.

When a dog alerts, some practitioners take the dog's word for it and don't inspect. The problem with this is you'd never know if you had a false alert.

Many other practitioners do not consider a dog alert valid unless visual evidence is then found. This is the recommendation from experts here-- that canine handlers
    Should always visually verify dog alerts.

If the company which inspected has this philosophy, then they would likely say you don't have bed bugs since visual evidence was not found. Most people here would agree with this assessment.

It's possible you do still have bed bugs, but you can't rely on skin reactions as evidence. Many people seem to report persistent skin reactions even for a while after bed bugs are gone.

If you are worried that your inspection was biased, you
    might get a careful human inspection if you
    can find someone in your area who does this.

A less expensive option would be bed bug monitors.

If the k9 team works solely based on dog alerts, then you
    May be able to get the heat company to treat again solely on that basis-- even if it was a false alert.

16. bugzbegone

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 22 2012 16:15:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for your clarification. I have been blessed. My second heat treatment is this week. You were correct about the K9's and the heat company. The owner contacted me the moment she had the handlers' report. At the risk of being redundant - deeply appreciated.

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 22 2012 22:44:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad we could help! Good luck to you.

I am going to close this thread because it's really old and is now off of the original topic, but feel free to start a new one later to follow up.

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver