Please ID this bug [a: adult male bed bug]

(8 posts)
  1. mollyb

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 22 2017 8:33:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you please help me with IDing? We are pretty sure that we found a bedbug but still:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108640028@N08/32079516020/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108640028@N08/32079516690/

We found this single one on the ceiling (!) last night. While my husband started to take a picture of it, it dropped (fell?) on to the floor, it was pretty impressive;).
    We have had no bedbug problem, no bites, no other signs, nothing. We searched the place there's no other evidence, only this bug.
    Can it be a hitchhiker? Why would it get on the ceiling? Can it mean that the upstairs neighbours have a serious problem? They just moved in a week or so ago and actually two of my family members just got home from abroad, one of them spent two nights at a hotel (he had checked his hotel room, we are pretty cautious since he travels a lot.) On top of everything we went to the theatre last night so we might have brought it home. Ok, I know it's really not worth trying to figure out where it is from, but still...
    All in all I would like to ask you about the possible action: we are Hungarians, we live in Budapest and although I hear that bedbugs are a serious problem here as well, we don't have good PCOs and to be honest there is a lot of misinformation on websites, etc. so I don't really know who to call and I don't really know what to do really. Shall we wait and see? We have bedbug monitors and we lived in the US for a while so we are pretty educated bedbug-wise, though we've fortunately never had this problem (once we dealt with flies, that's when I found this site because I had been scared that we possibly had had bedbugs.)
    So my question is: how shall we proceed? I don't want to get paranoid over this thing but we are about to move in a couple of weeks and we have been so happy that we could live here bedbug free all these years (we live in a block of flats). Can you please advise? Thanks a lot.

2. Terseli

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 22 2017 12:48:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Its very likely a bed bug.

3. ScaredChicagoRes

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 22 2017 13:25:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Disclaimer: I'm just an ordinary citizen with no insect background. But it looks like a bed bug to me, or a close relative.

One of the experts can look at the fine details to give you a positive id. Also- call any reputable pest company (even non local) ; most of them are glad to look at pictures and give you information. At least, in my experience they are.

As for looking in your home: did you check your boxspring, the seams, and perimeter of bed? Look at information on this site for what to look for. I believe it's accurate information.

Best,
    D

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 22 2017 14:17:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As confirmed in the other thread bed bug or close relative.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 22 2017 15:06:05
    #

Login to Send PM

An adult male bed bug. Interesting that your iphone 5 took very large sized images.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. mollyb

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 22 2017 16:19:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the ID, it's sad news though we were pretty sure.

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 22 2017 16:26:03
    #

Login to Send PM

mollyb - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the ID, it's sad news though we were pretty sure.

Have you tried monitors? Even paper towel folded twice to make a square will provide crevices in which they can hide if crawling about. You have to unfold and examine.

8. mollyb

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 22 2017 16:42:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou, yes, fortunately we have monitors and there're no signs anywhere at all. I'm a bit relieved that it was a male, I'm hopeful that it was a hitchhiker.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081