Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Please ID Casing

(11 posts)
  1. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 17:18:54
    #

Login to Send PM

what casing is this? and also above it, i'm not sure if it's just a piece of cat food that my cat left on the floor or if it's a bug. thanks again for your input.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53882211@N08/5040324114/

2. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 17:23:32
    #

Login to Send PM

A cast skin of a Carpet Beetle's larva

3. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 17:24:08
    #

Login to Send PM

That's what I was going to guess too - carpet beetle larvae or larvae skin..........

4. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 17:31:03
    #

Login to Send PM

That's what i thought too cuz i had found one a month ago inside my platform bed. i haven't seen any live ones though. do they h ide too? or do u think my cats are eating them? are they visible to the eye when they first hatch?

5. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 17:33:01
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi and 123bugs,
    Thanks for your quick responses!! always appreciated!!!!

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 18:08:35
    #

Login to Send PM

A CB larvae in need of Rogaine? Seems awfully hairless for a CB larvae and too intact to be a CB skin.

100% not a BB though.

Jim

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 20:47:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Carpet beetle larva exuviae (shed skin). Certain species feed on pet foods, esp. dry foods. Quite small, a fww mm, at hatching.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 21:26:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Anthrenus Curly I guess.

Where are Moe and Larry?

Jim

9. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 23:18:40
    #

Login to Send PM

spiderjm- loved your response. rogaine!!! ha ha

loubugs-thanks, and that makes sense cuz my cats are always getting their food everywhere. don't know how they do it, but sometimes i'll even find nibbles in the bedroom from them. sigh....
    do they bite? cuz kitties seem to be a bit itchy lately. (not to mention my bites of late) i treated them all with frontline in case of fleas cuz my friend came over twice with his dog that he forgot to give her frontline for two months and it was hot!!!!

10. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 1 2010 3:18:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm breeding a big amount (thousands) of Dermestid Beetles (Trogoderma inclusum) and I feed them exclusively with pond sticks (food for Koi carps). They simply love it....

11. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 1 2010 11:11:44
    #

Login to Send PM

glad, my husband's fish tank is empty now. let me go throw away the fish food too. lol.

side story- just before he went to Calif is when i started to freak out about the possibility of bbs. i guess it was about six days later my friend was over and i came upstairs from the laundry room and didn't see my friend so i called out, "where are you?". He says, "i'm adding water to your fish tank".

omg, in my tizzy over the bbs, i had forgotten to feed the fish. they all died. i felt so awful thinking about how hungry they must have been. i called my husband crying and apologizing. (cuz they're his fish) He was so sweet, he didn't get upset at all and told me that we would buy new fish that i liked. But at the end of the conversation he said, "you did remember to feed the cats though, right?"

anyway, i told him not to buy any fish until we confirm whether we have bbs or not.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,328 posts in 50,173 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14