Please ID..... [a: adult fly and pupae cases]

(7 posts)
  1. someonesshadow

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Oct 10 2015 16:01:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Found these on a pillow that was under my bed . They are more like skins but just the oval part...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/BraveToasterOven/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpeg

I don't have any bites or anything. Just paranoia from an outbreak at work. Thanks.

2. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Oct 10 2015 16:11:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Not bed bug related in my purely non-expert opinion. Keep checking back for a pro to tell you what they are.

Melanie.

I am NOT an expert - just a grateful bed bug survivor willing to share my experience, strength, and hope with others.
  3. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Oct 10 2015 16:36:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Not bedbug related. Wait for Lou, but it's some kind of pupae.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Oct 10 2015 16:58:34
    #

Login to Send PM

In this bag you have an adult fly and a few fly pupae cases.

When the maggot has fed and grown sufficiently it creates this pupal case. It then emerges as an adult fly when fully developed as a result of metamorphosis.

pjb

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 11 2015 10:35:45
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 17 hours ago  » 
    In this bag you have an adult fly and a few fly pupae cases.
    When the maggot has fed and grown sufficiently it creates this pupal case. It then emerges as an adult fly when fully developed as a result of metamorphosis.
    pjb

The adult fly is there. It is a species of Calliphoridae, the blue or green bottle flies, though not all species are metallic in coloration. The cases are actually called puparia (singular, puparium) and not pupal cases. The 3rd instar larva creates the puparium with its skin that becomes sclerotized and forms the characteristic bullet-shaped object. The actual developing pupa is inside this case. Adult structures can be seen developing on it as is the case with other insect pupa. The head area sclerite pops open as the adult fly pushes its way out with the help of a structure on the front of its head called the ptilinum, an eversible, fluid-filled sac. When its use is finished, the fluid is withdrawn, the sac pulls in, and all that is left is the upside down U-shaped frontal suture. If you find recently emerged muscoid flies, the head is a little swelled and you can see the sac in motion since it this process isn't instantaneous.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. mm24

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 12 2015 15:45:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it weird that I think this is really cool ?

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 12 2015 15:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

mm24 - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Is it weird that I think this is really cool ?

Not around here.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982