Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Please help with car options. I have been to a paint shop.

(7 posts)
  1. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Apr 30 2013 17:53:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been registered a few months now and have still been getting bites. my history is not typical in that I have not been able to confirm the presence of bb but continue to get bites. This has been going on over a year.

I had a negative inspection by a local PCO whose experience with bb is questionable. He checked my bed and said that if I had them for so many months I would see signs on my bed.

In the car I drive in it about once a week for an hour and a half, and every day for shorter trips (5-20 minutes). I wear protective clothing (long sleeves, pants tucked into shoes) and that seems to prevent bites, but I will still get one when skin is exposed.

My issue is: without a positive ID of the pest biting me, I have not had any PCO help. I've been monitoring my car for many months with sticky traps, which have all come out negative for bb or any other biting insect. I finally found a paint shop which would agree to bake the car, but this was for two sessions of 45 minutes each, which I don't know is enough to heat the interior (the oven gets to 150-180 degrees). Afterwards I tested the treatment by driving with exposed skin on my feet and shoulder; the next day I had two bites on my shoulder.

I am not sure what to do at this point. I considered Nuvan strips but I believe that you need to be a PCO to order them and poison attacking the CNS is just scary. Can any expert please weigh in on how to get a PCO to fumigate or help me with this? I am going insane and want to start my life again.

2. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Apr 30 2013 18:28:21
    #

Login to Send PM

to at least make this post helpful to others, perhaps someone could just state whether they know how long a heat transfer takes to penetrate car seats/ trunk. I know that bugs are supposed to die instantly at around 120 degrees. Would it take longer than an hour and a half in an enclosed space? Cars don't clear by sitting in the sun, but outside temperatures of 100-110 is lower than an oven temp of 150-180.

3. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Apr 30 2013 18:38:30
    #

Login to Send PM

And also, if someone could chime in and let me know what would get my posts more likely to be responded to, let me know.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Apr 30 2013 23:35:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I would ask David Cain (bedbugscouk) about using a passive monitor in the car (where to place it, etc.). You need a confirmation that bed bugs are present before you worry about treatment. That goes for the home also.

As for the heat questions -- I suspect you've asked a paint shop to heat your car. Is that why you're asking for the details? I am not the one to advise you on this.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong in terms of getting questions answered. But everyone is a volunteer here so it can take some time to get a response.

If you find a question does not get a response in 24 hours, respond to the same thread again so it gets refreshed and others can see you're still waiting. I hope that helps!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 31 2017 17:07:37
    #

Login to Send PM

There is an update - this ended up being a flea problem most likely, as fleas were found and a possible source identified, local feral cats on my car. I had the car treated by a PCO for fleas and I believe (this was a long time ago) that I used a regular flea fogger as well. That, and moving from my previous apartment seemed to solve the problem as I wasn't getting bitten after that.

6. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 31 2017 17:09:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I updated to show an example of the importance of getting an actual sample to correctly identify if your problem is actually bed bugs or not.

7. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 31 2017 17:12:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Although, I am not sure why all the treatment I had done (including heating the car, even if it was not hotter than 120 degrees) did not kill fleas.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,455 posts in 48,828 topics over 151 months by 21,440 of 21,843 members. Latest: Beardface, BugBrosHauntingMe, brokengarage