Please help us celebrate by raising a glass

(16 posts)
  1. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 11 2011 7:54:04
    #

Login to Send PM

After a mammoth battle with the patent office in the UK and overcoming many objections we are now celebrating the granting of our second patent.

The first which granted a few months ago covers the product (passive monitoring) the recent one covers the method of passive monitoring. This ensures that however we develop the technology no-one is allowed to use the principles of how it works without our permission.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/p-ipsum/Case/PublicationNumber/GB2463953

A lot of hard work and over £650,000 has gone into the development of the technology so we are understandably relieved to get this great news.

I am meeting with my legal team tomorrow to work out how to deal with those who are currently infringing and its likley to be painful for those who knowingly infringed with the hope that they could object and have our application thrown out.

For the consumer it now means that I can at least speak very openly about how it all works and will even be sharing more of the methods we have developed in the last 4 years of field development.

On a personal note I am hoping to get a full nights sleep which I have not managed since the meeting at the patent office in March 2011.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and the FTC I openly declare that I am the patent holder of the mentioned technology and although I have made it clear in the thread I feel its also appropriate to make it clear here.

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  2. djames1921

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 11 2011 8:31:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Well done Mr. Cain, I hope to join you very soon in that club as we have at least 3 that are getting close.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 11 2011 16:18:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Valkyrie

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 11 2011 16:24:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Big Congratulations!!!

5. SandiZan

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 11 2011 17:06:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Good for you! Very lucrative business right now!

6. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 12 2011 17:44:14
    #

Login to Send PM

David now that it's allowed would you wish to provide a direct link to the abstract and perhaps also the text and images and granted claims of the patent itself.

I clicked on the link you provided above...

bed-bugscouk - 1 day ago  » 
    http://www.ipo.gov.uk/p-ipsum/Case/PublicationNumber/GB2463953

...but found only the stats i.e. application number etc. so I started looking around and got bogged down in Espacenet Patent Search not knowing how to pull up the patent itself.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 12 2011 18:50:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I will post a full link as soon as it is available online from the official site. I did gear today that there is one open bracket that needs removing but I don't think that will delay it.

There are actually two patents, one is a product and the second more contested is the method or utility patent which covers the principles of passive monitoring. I had an enforcement meeting today and was told by one of the senior partners that it's highly unusual to have a set of patents that do not need to cite any prior art because it is all novel in it's approach.

I do like meeting the legal types and explaining to them how the principles were devised, they generally come out of the meetings shell shocked.

David

8. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 12 2011 23:03:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Congrats! Hope you aren't too "shell shocked" by the legal bills. We keep our conversations short here...just the facts, ma'am...with our attorney.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 13 2011 12:09:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

This is the first one that got granted and published:

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/p-find-publication-getPDF.pdf?PatentNo=GB2463953&DocType=A&JournalNumber=6307

The Utility or method will be online soon.

David

10. beruska

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 13 2011 13:23:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations, David!

11. Canuck

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 13 2011 14:43:23
    #

Login to Send PM

David - a big congratulations. And I'll raise a second glass to you getting a good night's sleep now.
    The link provided is asking for a password to move forward.

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  12. BBFSTyler

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 13 2011 14:54:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations David. It looks very promising!
    Sleep tight! (Sorry, couldn't help myself)

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 13 2011 15:00:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Canuck - 15 minutes ago  » 
    David - a big congratulations. And I'll raise a second glass to you getting a good night's sleep now.
    The link provided is asking for a password to move forward.

The site may be set up for EU access only, it's a free public access thing here though.

If you want to read it drop me a PM with an email address and I will send the PDF to you.

I am working late tonight on a project for beruska which is sadly overdue.

David

14. beruska

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 13 2011 15:09:18
    #

Login to Send PM

That's great, David, I appreciate it. I cant wait to start on it. But maybe you should take a night off and relax. You deserve it. BTW I am taking back what I said in my email about kids not having bites . I cought a live one last night. I am quite surprised that I did not even freak out, as I did before. I am kind off numb about it . After 10 months of this , my mind is tired. I wish your team operated in NYC, so I could let you guys handle it for me.
    Omce again, comgratulation on the patent!

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 13 2011 15:38:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi beruska,

Sorry to hear that, this may still help though so I will crack on and get it done tonight at least in draft form.

If you can give me feedback before we release it to the world it would be appreciated.

The other reason for getting it done tonight is that when I have finished I will be writing out my findings on the DNA detection testing I had conducted recently. It will make for some extremely interesting reading I can assure you of that.

With regards you case my concern still remains how are these getting into your home in the first place. I finally got to the bottom of my hardest case to date today when we realised the course of events was:

• Adjoining neighbor brews massive infestation of bedbugs that starts to come through the walls
    • Adjoining property start treatment
    • Source property goes happy slappy with aerosols and foggers to drive bedbugs into adjoining property and beneath the floor boards
    • Mice population supports bedbug population until test baiting proves they are present

Sad news is that we are still working to kill the mice that appear to still be introducing bedbugs to my clients property. Hopefully the local authority will step in to do a street wide mouse treatment but just in case they don't I put enough down to systematically take them all out of the equation.

Its been a tough case that has taken a while to get to the bottom of.

David

16. beruska

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2011 10:09:41
    #

Login to Send PM

David, I just wanted to respond here , so people know it's coming and hard you are working on it. The draft looks great and will be helpful to many of us, and I am sure I am not the only one, who is waiting with interest to read the DNA testing results .

As for my situation, I know for sure that our apartment building is infested - bbs in the laundry room, confessions of neighbors, mattresses on the sidewalks. I am doing my best communicating with landlord, who claims that people are not cooperating; the house is full of people who believe in self treatment, who are elderly and will not do prep for treatment, who will not hear me out, the list goes on and on...
    Therefore, I always assumed that our building is the source of our ongoing problem.However, I must say that my family live probably the most high risk bed bug life style - living in Brooklyn, taking subway, taking bus, husband drives yellow cab once a week, kids in daycare and school.....so now I feel they could be from anywhere, and my mental state tells me that they are everywhere..:)))...And it has been a challenge to implement your box system with two little ones and uncooperative husband. I work my Packtite like a mad woman, but I cant always control my kids to strip by the door, as there is no space and I am not always there. I will probably have to have the work place and daycare checked (I am starting to feel I should have dislosed my situation to them at the beginning), these are really tricky situations.
    You mentioned once that you have a resource for landlord only, maybe you could direct me to it , so I could try to educate my landlord more.
    I wish I could remove my family from this situation, but it is not financially possible at this moment, so we just have to hang in there and do our best.
    I probably repeated myself on multiple threads, so I am sorry for that.And also sorry for hijacking this thread that was started on a different topic.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,179 posts in 50,132 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92