Please Help This Teacher Out

(10 posts)
  1. teacherbug

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 14:32:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Please, please help me out! I give everything I have to my students and what is the result- I get bed bugs. I am so frustrated. What I believe happened is that I left out a jacket and bed bugs got in there. Then I put my jacket in the car....which = car is infested. My car is infested because I was lazy and never brought the jacket inside. Anywho, I am waiting on Nurvan strips for my car. My parents have an extra car I will borrow until I feel safe to drive my own. I discovered my infestation--I saw like 30 of the little white bed bugs....eeeek.
    Long story short I brought them into my home in mid May. I got a mattress encasement and they were gone. Now fast forward to now- I actually discovered the infestation in my car and cleaned everything out. The next morning I wake up to a whole bunch of bites and blood spots on my side of the bed. Like I said I have a mattress encasement so they don't have many places to hide- any advice on what to do?
    I have climb ups, sprayed bed bug raid, and put down DE in between the mattress and box spring.
    I just blow dried some of the seams hoping the little buggers would run out but they didn't and I got exhausted :/ I am thinking of vacuuming later.
    I am begging someone to help me through this. I feel horrible that I gave my family this. I don't have money for a PCO. Thanks.

2. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 15:29:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Teacherbug,

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. It would be good to have a PCO help you with this, but if you aim to take care of it yourself, here is some advice provided by Paul Bello, one of our professional entomologists, to another DIYer.

On the brighter side is the fact that numerous people have successfully remediated their bed bug problems themselves. Note that this is more easily accomplished with a positive attitude, a willingness to do the work and proper guidance. That the DIY route is a viable path is a point of which I am adamant because, in the past, I once coached a person successfully through his bed bug situation in which he did 100% of the necessary work himself. That this was accomplished despite the fact that this person was wheel chair bound have been paralyzed from a vehicle accident is the foundation upon which my stance on DIY rests. As such, if that guy can do it himself having no use of his legs and lower body, certainly you and your husband will be better able to do so yourself.

Now, solely for YOUR benefit, I'm going to post additional information here and I care not what others may say or comment thereof:

1. Monitors: If you already know you have bed bugs for sure, you can decide to use them but really don't need them.

2. Vacuum: Use a decent vacuum while inspecting/hunting for bed bugs and suck them up as you work. It works but you need to be thorough. No chemicals and no bed bugs. Just good ole fashioned American elbow grease !

3. Steam: If you have a steamer, you can steam the cracks and crevices where bed bugs and eggs may be hidden. Go slow, be deliberate and be thorough. Same recipe as above. It works, no chemicals and no bed bugs. Just good ole American elbow grease.

! ! ! ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW PESTICIDE LABEL DIRECTIONS ! ! !

4. Insecticides: There are a number of effective insecticides that you can purchase on the retail and DIY type markets. You want to purchase those products that have the best label directions and residual active ingredients. Caution, many of these products available here in the US are not labeled or available outside the US. Know that the products actually labeled for bed bugs have been tested and have efficacy data that supports their use against bed bugs. But, you likely wish to know what "retail products" can be used to kill bed bugs in your home, right?

Not so fast, we first need to know how to select such products. Firstly, let's (and note that by "let's" I mean you) look at the labels to assure that the product can be applied to ALL the areas where we need to apply them or wish to apply them for bed bugs. This is so because some of these products may be excellent bed bug killers but the label does not allow them to be applied to a mattress or bed. As such, you really need to read the product labels. of course, you can save some time by reading these labels online before heading to your local retail store.

Additionally, in some areas there are DIY pest type stores which pretty much sell all the same products that the pros use. In many instances they are more costly than some of their retail counterparts but, generally speaking, they have certain advantages.

OK, about the products:

Contact killers do a pretty good job on contact. Residual type killers usually kill on contact and via dry residue left from initial application. If you must choose one type over another, you're likely best served with a residual. The currently available retail residual products that would work well include but may not be limited to: Black Flag and Bayer Advanced. My preference is the concentrate type that must be mixed with water and applied via a suitable sprayer. In this way you can mix the amount you need. Some retail products are sold as RTU (ready to use) type sprays. While these products offer the convenience of an RTU, they are most costly per finished gallon than concentrates are. The leading bed bug products available from DIY pest type stores include but are no limited to: Temprid SC, Phantom, Demand CS, Transport and Zenprox(sp?) as liquid concentrates. These materials will cost more but you get so much more when buying a pro type product. Aerosol RTUs include: Temprid Ready to Spray (new product), Bedlam Plus (only get the plus type), Eatons BB Spray (you get that BB = bed bugs, right?) and others. Dusts include: Tempo Dust, Cimexa, Drione and others. Note that dusts can be difficult to apply and a tad messy. This fall there will likely be a new aerosol type dust commercially available which will be much easier to apply.

The FAQs on the pest strip product has already been provided so no comment here on this type of insecticide product.

ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW PESTICIDE LABEL DIRECTIONS !

5. How & Where to Apply Insecticides:
    Of course, we know that insecticides are tools and we need to know how to use them properly. First, ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW PESTICIDE LABEL DIRECTIONS.

Let's know where we typically will find bed bugs and what the typical harborage sites are. Know that bed bugs prefer to hide in tiny cracks and crevices. Wood, cardboard, paper and similar tactile type surfaces are preferred.

Areas you must inspect and treat as needed include: bed frame, box spring, mattress, sofa, base board molding, utility penetrations (outlets & switch plate covers), wall hangings, window & door moldings, smoke alarms, curtain rod mounts, clocks, etc.

6. Encasements: I recommend high quality encasement products for your mattress and box spring. I prefer the Mattress Safe brand because they have stretchable sides which eases suitable fit, have been lab tested against bed bugs and made in America units can be specified.

7. Climb Up Blockers: Once your bed(s) have been thoroughly inspected, treated and rendered bed bug free, I advise you install blockers to prevent bed bugs from getting at you in the event that any were missed during your initial treatment. Inspect these weekly and keep them maintained as per the manufacturer's directions.

Please advise if ay remaining questions or concerns, good luck !

pjb

Good luck, and ask any other questions you may have.

3. teacherbug

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 17:34:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you think one treatment of Nuvan stips in the car is enough or should I do two?

4. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 17:46:09
    #

Login to Send PM

That is a question for Paul. He is the expert on Nuvan strips. Maybe you should start a new thread with that question and he will see it and respond.

Did you check the search button for using Nuvan strips (upper right hand corner)? Try that too. I've not seen any mention of how many for a car--actually, I haven't seen anyone ever mention using them in a car, but I never searched for that.

I would start a new thread with a question about using them in a car and that way your thread is more specific and would get noticed more easily.

5. teacherbug

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 18:40:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much! You are so kind!

6. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 18:52:16
    #

Login to Send PM

You're very welcome! And thank you for your nice words. It's my pleasure looking out for a fellow teacher!

7. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 19:15:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think this answers your specific questions, but here is a pretty detailed pest strip thread:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/pest-strip-fundamentals

8. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 19:16:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you post pictures of the bugs?

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  9. teacherbug

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 19:34:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures- I have seen them TWICE and I just panicked and killed them. An adult one---then we put mattress encasement on. Then how many weeks later find that we actually got them from my car- over 30 little white ones!!!! Then the next morning after I discovered my car and cleaned everything out I notice 2 blood spots on my sheets and additional bites---obv. if I saw the blood spots I transferred them to my mattress then right?

10. bedbugkiller999

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 18 2014 17:50:53
    #

Login to Send PM

If nuvian strips in car dont work...the reliable brio dry steamer worked for me alongside demiscus earth which unfortunately might never fully come out of my new car which now looks a bit older. I sprayed the car one professionally and 1 month later, after no use, i got triple the bites from a 5 minute test drive. Talk about devastation with my 3 year old car. Lots of patience and this steamer saved my sanity. If you have them all in your house, you may need to follow the advice of others since i was never confident I succeeded with all my house contents since a vacant house was cleared by a reputable pco twice only to later see more bugs. I feel like blind faith in any expert is not my style and plain foolish. If you spray, get a company with a guarantee. Yes they are out there. In toronto addissons offers one, but seriously you will be living in a sea pf toxins if you rely on chemicals alone. Steam prior to spraying. Ps. I also sprayed seats with neam oil. In organic gardening it stuns bugs and they get confused and slowly starve to death unable to eat the plant roaming around aimlessly. Cheers.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,667 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com