(10 posts)
  1. feelinghelpless

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 15:38:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello forum Members,

This is my first post with your forum but I'm sure it will not be my last.
    I'll give you a brief story of what has been happening;
    Approximately 4 or 5 months ago, I caught my mother going through her hair with everything you can imagine, flea combs she was repeatedly using lice kits. She complained that her head is so itchy and no matter what she does nothing works. I myself searched through her hair up and down with a magnifying glass looking and could find nothing, Trips to the doctors which they would all barely look and say she has nothing. My mother is one of the most stable people I personally know, so for all of a sudden one day to be going through her hair for hours with a flea comb and trying every single kind of "home remedy" you can think of something had to be wrong. Again with more returns to the doctor, trips to the hospital late at night to avoid embarrassment for my mother, Every doctor would send us home simply saying there is nothing, that if there was something she has eliminated it, and this is delusional parasotisis and she needs to see a psychiatrist. They would all say itching is due to stress and everything.

I know my mother is not delusional that there is something wrong, It is doing so much damage to her but yet me and the wife are not noticing anything wrong with us.... She combs through her hair for hours a day, I can see just in the look in her face when she is sitting with us that she feels terrible, I find her staring at me sometimes looking for something on me when I am not looking. She has always talked about these tiny black dots she finds in her hair and I never see them, Today one of these tiny black dots she speaks of stuck in the comb and she brought it to me, to be honest it looked like nothing it was so small, I went out and bought a microscope, I wish I had more pictures of it..... Somehow the files and video's became corrupt all except one and the specimen is gone. But I am about to post a video which is going to be hard to tell what it really is because this is the specimen once its head was broken off. This specimen was dead already and had been for a few hours at least. I was curious to push on it's back with a tiny needle to see if it is feeding off of someone that maybe it would have blood retained inside it. I was a bit shocked with what I saw, A minute or two after poking it I got distracted and then I looked at the screen and noticed that the insect was spinning around. What you're looking at is the headless specimen, with its shell if you will half broken off from its back.This next part really puzzles me with what we are dealing with now. When the insect if you will was whole.... The only thing on the internet I can find that it looked relatively close to was a grain beetle or saw toothed beetle but this was much smaller than what I see of pictures, it looked even like some bird mites, they look a lot like a mite but a bit skinner. From the naked eye it does not really look like an insect at all. This video was shot at 60x from the microscope. I showed my mother the video of the specimen when it was whole, But she has not yet seen the video I am showing you.

Now that we have proof we are on our way to the doctors tonight, but my mother requested that I try everything I can to find anything on the internet on what it is. Ill keep you updated of course but I also wanted to see what any of you think it might be, or entomologists that wouldn't mind chiming in, or maybe educate me a bit at what it is I might be looking at... The way things are going at the doctors, It literally does seem as though they already have her down as treated, and she is being delusional because every time she goes they say she has nothing right away, and we are rushed out. If they try and give a run around again about this I'm probably not going to be able to help but explode on a doctor tonight.

I would also like to add that we do have large dogs that live in the house with us.

I sincerely ask for any help or advice,
    Thank-you

I apologize for the background noise,
    This first link is of a bit lower quality for those with slower internet connections or video cards.
    http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/feelinghelpless/?action=view¤t=a04b0a70.mp4

http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/feelinghelpless/?action=view¤t=430bc3ce.mp4

2. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 16:22:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Abdomen and wings of a dead crushed beetle

3. feelinghelpless

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 16:28:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think you watched the whole video....

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 16:32:01
    #

Login to Send PM

About halfway through, it looks like something pops three legs out the side (or a leg and some antennae) and starts waving.

Not a bed bug. But perhaps someone can say what it is.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. feelinghelpless

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 16:51:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Exactly, sorry I should have posted if you do not want to watch the entire video just fast forward to 1:10 and you will see what I had said really puzzles me, I just wanted to be clear so everyone knows that what ever this is, has been dead for hours and has no head at this point and this is after I had poked a needle into its shell. Please remember that this is 60x under a microscope, and it is still small under my microscope. I wish there were something for comparison but this insect is very very small.

6. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 17:00:16
    #

Login to Send PM

feelinghelpless - 14 minutes ago  » 
    I don't think you watched the whole video....

No... I admit I stopped that after first minute of seeing a dead crushed beetle wandering around... I apologize... shame on me...

Please remember that this is 60x under a microscope, and it is still small under my microscope. I wish there were something for comparison but this insect is very very small.

Not an insect, it's a mite. What looks like long "antennae" is the long first pair of legs.

7. feelinghelpless

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 17:20:34
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi, I don't blame you one bit, like I had said it is a graphic video. You can imagine how we feel.

I apologize for the video being so long, for everyone again that is reading these posts before watching the video you may want to just fast forward to 1:10. I also assumed it is a mite but what puzzles me is, what is the beetle or mite looking insect in the first place, and why is there a mite coming out from the insect after I punctured its shell.

8. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 19:52:23
    #

Login to Send PM

It appears you may have a mite that may be scavanging on your dead beetle.

You can separate the live critter fromn the carcass by subnerging it in water as the live critter will likely float to the surface.

Then we can see what you really have.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

9. feelinghelpless

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 20:30:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Paul, thank you I appreciate that. The only problem is we have only found 3 ever and they are gone now, the beetle is so small. I think if the critter did float to the surface I don't think there's anyway I would be able to see it. If we find one tonight we'll definitely try. I know it's pretty hard for you guys to tell at all exactly what it is missing its head and all, But it's not like any beetle's I've seen in my research, I have no idea where these things would be coming from or why they're in my mothers hair. Our house is kept very clean other than the fact that we have dogs

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 10 2012 0:18:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Experts,

If a mite was feeding on a bug carcass, can we assume this is not a mite that would feed on the OP's family?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,559 posts in 49,289 topics over 152 months by 21,600 of 22,025 members. Latest: eldina714, Eevee, cat