(5 posts)
  1. Completely terrified

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 16 2017 16:40:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi

I'm not sure if I have bed bugs. The only evidence I have so far are two bite incidents about 10 days apart but I'm extremely worried. The first of these incidents was about 10 days ago when I noticed four clustered, itchy, mosquito-type bites on my side. The fact that the four bites were together, in a sort of semi-circle, is what started me going out of my mind with fear. No further bites (at least I don't think so) until yesterday when I noticed one small itchy bite on my forearm.

My bed is a plain metal frame with a box spring and mattress. I've tried to inspect the box spring and mattress and couldn't find anything - but based on what I've read here and elsewhere, bed bugs can be hiding virtually anywhere, in night tables near the bed, other furniture, cracks/crevices etc., even the head of a screw. How can I possibly search every millimeter of the room? Not only that but it seems it can be pretty difficult to spot nymphs and eggs.

So, I just ordered a dozen passive monitors. I'll place one on the head end of the box spring as per instructions but should I use more of them? On other parts of the box spring/mattress? What about furniture? Should I also be placing some monitors somewhere on the night tables, for example? Elsewhere? Or is one on the box spring enough?

I'm so stressed out it's pretty much all I can think about. I can't sleep and I'm sick thinking about what I'll need to go through if I've got bed bugs. A waking nightmare.

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 16 2017 17:45:59
    #

Login to Send PM

The fact that the four bites were together, in a sort of semi-circle, is what started me going out of my mind with fear.

I had bed bugs twice, and i have a very strong reason to bites. I never had a cluster of bites, or any type of pattern. Bites aren't a reliable way to confirm the presence of bed bugs.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 17 2017 6:37:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The idea behind Passive Monitors is to provide a single optimal harbourage for any bed bugs which is why they are best used one per bed in normal circumstances.

Because they are designed to be like bird boxes are to birds they colonize the harbourage which itself can be easily removed (isolating and disposing of bed bugs in the process).

They can help confirm all three confirming signs of bed bugs:

• Live samples - they will live inside
    • Cast skins - they tend to shed them on the detection skirt which keeps them attracted to that surface
    • Faecal traces - they are induced to defecate on the detection skirt by its design

For various reasons bites and skin reactions are not considered a reliable diagnostic tool, while their location can give some indication their appearance is not indicative.

Its a monitor and observe until you have confirming signs. No confirmation then its time to look at other options.

Hope that helps,

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. Completely terrified

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 17 2017 8:19:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks very much for the replies.

I thought I might need to put some passive monitors on some of the furniture near the bed in case that's where the bugs are living (if I have them) but I guess I will start with just one on the box spring as per instructions.

I know that bites are not a confirming sign of bed bugs but they might be a sign, which is why I ordered the passive monitors.

I'm a total wreck over this. If I have them, they could be anywhere in the room. It's an awful feeling, even without confirmation. The suspicion alone is wasting me.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 17 2017 8:36:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sometimes understanding that bed bugs and insects can be valid anxiety triggers and that this process is often sub-conscious can help.

I have written about this here:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/anxiety

You may also find some of the tools here useful:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/relaxation

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,196 posts in 50,137 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69