Please help me ID this shell casing

(5 posts)
  1. kt_f

newbite

Posted 12 months ago
    Sat Sep 22 2018 20:05:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Please help. I moved into a new apartment less than a month ago. First of all let me say I suffer from anxiety. So I tend to hone in on small details that support my fears and run away with them...

I kept feeling what felt like dirt particles in my bed while I was moving around in it, and assuming for a couple weeks it was just because I now had wood floors instead of carpet like my old place... I figured I was just tracking dirt into my bed. Because I could always feel it on the bottoms of my feet.

I began googling stuff about particles in your bed, just to make sure it wasn’t anything harmful.

I came across several forums about bed bugs, so I began investigating my bed for them. I found this shell casing wedge in a crevice on the side of my mattress. I’ve seen lots of pictures of carpet beetles and also bed bugs... I feel it looos more similar to a carpet beetle but I’m freaked out, since it was wedge in my mattress. Is it a carpet needle or a bed bug?

https://imgur.com/gallery/YQm2qup

I know it is small but if you zoom in you can see what appears to be hairs?

2. kt_f

newbite

Posted 12 months ago
    Sat Sep 22 2018 20:08:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Let me also apologize for all those typos. Goodness. My fingers were working faster than my brain. Lol

3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 12 months ago
    Sat Sep 22 2018 22:40:33
    #

Login to Send PM

beetle larva

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 11 months ago
    Sun Sep 23 2018 11:33:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Shed skin of a carpet beetle larva -- looks like a species of Anthrenus.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. kt_f

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Sun Sep 23 2018 15:45:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for the help, guys

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus