Please help me ID this bug! [a: de-alate termite reproductive]

(3 posts)
  1. Carolinazt

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Aug 16 2015 0:58:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I woke up today with bumps all over my arms and shoulders and stomach and back. I got pretty scared so I checked the seams of the mattress for any bugs. Sure enough there were some worms or larvae. I killed them before I remembered to take pictures though. Then I found another one that had a black body and brown head with two antennas. It was right near where I put my head when I sleep. I need to know what they are and what is the best way to kill them because I'm freaking out really bad

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Aug 16 2015 2:05:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a bed bug! Wait for an expert and you will likely get a more specific ID.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Aug 16 2015 11:11:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Sure enough there were some worms or larvae. I killed them before I remembered to take pictures though. Then I found another one that had a black body and brown head with two antennas.
    , As nobugsonme pointed out it's not a bed bug. Unfortunately the insect is a bit darkened on its dorsum in the picture. It looks like a de-alate termite reproductive. The insect has wings, flies out from the nest to mate. Pulls wings off and there are little stubs still left on thorax. Antennae look like termite antennae.
    No reason to spray to kill the alates since they do no damage and killing them doesn't do anything to the colony. Termites live either in wood (or other cellulosic material) and feed on it or live in ground and crawl up into wood (such as in house) and feed on it.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19