(4 posts)
  1. TG860

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 7 2018 18:54:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I've been getting bites for the last week or so and I've started spotting tiny bugs crawling on my bed. I've attached some photos, could you help confirm if they are bedbugs? With the naked eye, they seem like they could be, but zooming up close I am not so sure.
    Also potentially relevant, next door we have a rubbish chute which had a pigeon nest. The pigeons are now gone but the area has not been cleared (full of disgusting pigeon poo). It's an old apartment with a lot of creaky wood, so I wouldn't be surprised if something in that area could find a way into my room.

Pics link https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=14OreYcMZRSZ9GqlhKWzFnLchcI2tqGzn

Thanks for any help you can provide!

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 7 2018 19:20:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Not bed bugs. Mites and beetles. Is there a rodent issue? Those could be parasitic mites; the beetles aren't the cause of any problem.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. TG860

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 7 2018 19:51:09
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 24 minutes ago  » 
    Not bed bugs. Mites and beetles. Is there a rodent issue? Those could be parasitic mites; the beetles aren't the cause of any problem.

Hi Lou,

Thanks for the reply. That would be a relief. The landlord mentioned they had a few mice in the property in winter, but that's 6 months ago now and I haven't seen signs of any since I moved in 2 months ago.
    I do wonder if it's the pigeon nest? The bites only started about 2 weeks ago which roughly coincides with the pigeons abandoning the nest. The nesting site is only about 2 metres from my bed via 2 doors which are probably quite porous.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 8 2018 5:59:29
    #

Login to Send PM

TG860 - 10 hours ago  » 

loubugs - 24 minutes ago  » 

Hi Lou,
    Thanks for the reply. That would be a relief. The landlord mentioned they had a few mice in the property in winter, but that's 6 months ago now and I haven't seen signs of any since I moved in 2 months ago.
    I do wonder if it's the pigeon nest? The bites only started about 2 weeks ago which roughly coincides with the pigeons abandoning the nest. The nesting site is only about 2 metres from my bed via 2 doors which are probably quite porous.

Yes, bird mites. I normally list both in my response to seeing parasitic mites. Definitely could be mites crawling away from the nest since their main food source left.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,452 posts in 46,581 topics over 142 months by 20,545 of 21,411 members. Latest: PrismArc, unclejohn, WheelBugger