Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Please help me figure out which bug bites I'm curing my poor babies are sufferin

(4 posts)
  1. Baffled.mommy89

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 9:16:59
    #

Login to Send PM

My 3 children all ages 5 and under have bug bites everywhere. We came to house sit for a friend who told us she had a bed bug issue before but that it has been taken care of. After night two of all of four of us sleeping on the previously infected bunk bed one of my children comes to me with about 12 swollen red bite marks in a line on her forearm like misquote bites claiming they are itchy. Then I inspect her further and my other two children and find she has them on both arms and her belly and the other two have them as well, but I slept in the same bed as them and I share the same towle as them and our clothes are in the same duffle bag as theirs but I have no bites at all. So initially of course I assume bed bugs. And I go and glance over the blankets and bed however it was daytime at this point and I didn't see any bugs nor did I really know what signs I should be looking for to let me know if there was bed bugs present or not. However when I took them to urgent care the doctor does no tests on the bites and only looks at them for all of 30 seconds and says they are scabies. Now under the impression that they are scabies and probably came from elsewhere I simply wash all the bedding and apply the cream to my children and the first night we slept in a different room but after I convinced myself the bug bites definitely was scabies we spend the next night in the bunk bed I previously mentioned. Not knowing anything about scabies the next morning when all there of my children's bug bites have multiplied and spread to other areas like their faces necks backs legs and ankles I assumed it was the scabies considering they are mites and live under the skin. Now when I read about scabies and bed bugs it seems my children's bite could easily fall under either or. But last night I crawl in the bed with me babies and I'm on Facebook on my phone and I see a black dot run acrossed the blanket. I stop turn the flashlight on and can clearly identify that it is in fact a bed bug! So I pull my kids out of the bed and move them to the couch with fresh blankets and search the bedding in the infected room with a flashlight and found a total of four bed bugs when stripping the beds. My poor babies are covered in bites and I just want to make them better. I just want to know what bites they truely have so I can treat it correctly and stop the bites from continuing further. Is it possible that a doctor could have misdiagnosed these bed bug bites for scabies because there was so many close to the general area where scabies are known to start? The bites did not start under their nails or in the webs of their feet or hands.

2. HifromChi

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 10:51:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Scabies are a misdiagnosis given by so many doctors, so what I would do if I were you...post pictures of the captured bugs here so an expert can confirm that they are indeed bed bugs, if it's confirmed, you need to treat everything you've brought into that home before taking it back home with you. Everything should be thrown in the dryer at high heat for at least 30 to 40 min, bags and all, they can hide in so many nooks and crannies. If it can't be heat treated in the dryer, seriously think about tossing it if you can.

Then run far far away from that home, the person that potentially let you walk into that with your children in tow, would be no friend of mine.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 11:09:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't throw anything away, that's poor advice. Do post photos of the insects that you found. Where on the bed exactly did you find these four bugs?
    The frequency of skin reactions and some of the locations would make me think something other than bed bugs, so it's important to have this properly IDed.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 12:14:21
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 1 hour ago  » 
    Don't throw anything away, that's poor advice. Do post photos of the insects that you found. Where on the bed exactly did you find these four bugs?
    The frequency of skin reactions and some of the locations would make me think something other than bed bugs, so it's important to have this properly IDed.

Agreed. Capture the things you find and go back to the doctor and say that scabies diagnosis is incorrect. How many "scabies" diagnoses has this doctor made? There are many different ways that bed bugs bites can present. There isn't one typical way. Not everyone reacts to bed bug bites the same way and sometimes there is no reaction at all.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,444 posts in 46,578 topics over 142 months by 20,544 of 21,410 members. Latest: itchymama4, PrismArc, unclejohn