Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Please help me! (Bug ID , Blood stain ID & Others)

(8 posts)
  1. iamscared

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 13 2011 13:15:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone,

I cannot explain how nervous and freaked out I am right now. About 45 days ago, I saw a dead bug (not sure what bug it was and didn't know better back then so flushed it without a photo) and I have been "on the watch" all the time by inspecting the sheets everyday for stains or signs, and not bringing anything new into my room etc.

This whole routine has literally ruined my life. I am unable to concentrate on anything else, study, work etc. I know most of you have actual problems you are dealing with, but not knowing if I have the problem is driving me insane.

-----------------------------------Please reply to these-----------------------------------
    I was going to call of this "madness" this Wednesday as it would've been about 50 days but today when I woke up I saw this smear of blood on my pillow.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/898/photo1uco.jpg

Is this bed bug caused? Is there any way of knowing?

I panicked like crazy and checked under my bed hoping to see something (not sure why?) and I saw this one bug crawling slowly, so I quickly took a sticky tape and captured it. It is 3 mm long and I haven't been able to take a decent photo due to focusing issue but this is what I got.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7682/photo2mg.png
    http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/9112/photo1xf.png

Is this a bed bug? (If you need more pictures, please tell me)

------------------------------------------------

More questions:

How long do I need to wait to confirm there are no bugs and I am just paranoid beyond explanation? I have developed a distaste towards everything and physically drained everyday thinking about the same thing. I have checked for 45 ish days now, and this is the first time something like this happened.

Please help me. I will really appreciate it if anyone can ID these photos and give me some directions.

Thank you.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 13 2011 13:31:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It's carpet beetle larva.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. iamscared

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 13 2011 13:35:50
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 minute ago  » 
    Hi,
    It's carpet beetle larva.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Thank you so much for your reply.

Do they appear under mattresses? Is it a problematic pest or just a lone insect that found its way somehow? Also, they don't seem hairy like shown in google images.

Could you please tell me how you were able to identify it as a carpet beetle larvae (and not bed bug)? Should I try to get more pictures or is this 100% certain?

Thank you very much once again.

PS. Are these (OR bed bugs) related to the blood stain?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 13 2011 13:47:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK not driving / stuck in traffic now.

The sample is 100% carpet beetle larva, you can verify by lookingat the document below which will explain all about them and how to resolve them. In short yes they could be the explanation for bites as well ad blood spots, especially fresh red spots or oxidised ones.

http://Www.bed-bugs.co.uk/carpetbeetles

The easy way to tell is if it's a hairy magot / hairy catapiller with no legs it's likely to be a carpet beetle or similar larva. Having spent far too long treating just bedbugs and investigating unknown biting pests you can I'd in seconds from even a poor image, yours are clear so I can be certain.

Stand down the bedbug red alert, read and resolve the carpet beetles and then asses again when you have dealt with them. The FAQ's here are a great resource as much ad anything to help you avoid a future bedbug issue when traveling.

Hope that clear and that the stress is melting away rapidly.

David

5. iamscared

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 13 2011 14:02:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much David! I am so glad you replied to this thread. This fear has been eating me alive for over a month now.

I have not had any bites, but just saw this blood smear which worried me a lot.

I should let the alert down a bit, and not worry myself so much that I skip meals! but it's so hard especially after reading about the problems people are facing.

I knew it looked very different from the bed bug gallery, but considering there are so many stages and variations, I was very scared.

Could you or someone please tell me how long it is advisable to be on the look out for any signs? I want to stop and go back to my life soon. In other words, how long does it take for a bed bug to go from an egg to an adult (which is detectable)?

Thank you so much.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 13 2011 14:12:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry a bit of tough love here but given your anxiety level you need to set aside all thoughts of bedbugs and deal with the carpet beetles. You can detect all stages of bedbugs from eggs Yo adults if you are experienced and have good eye sight.

I fear that unless you go bedbug cold turkey you will continue the worry and anxiety building which can be more mentally damaging than a confirmed case of bedbugs.

If you are looking for an anxiety busting checking procedure look into the passive monitors once you have resolved the carpet beetles. I am biased as the inventor but this is the perfect scenario for them. Had you installed at the start of the worry you would have known within the first 7 - 14 days you were clear and could have shifted the focus.

Try not to read the horror stories, not all bedbug cases are nightmares they just all have Yo be confirmed and then experience is your sharpest tool.

Hope that helps and makes sense.

David

For the avoidance of doubt and in compliance with the AUP and FTC I openly declare my vested interest in the passive monitoring technology and BB alert passive product

7. iamscared

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 13 2011 14:42:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David, I needed to hear that from an expert like you. This is the first time I saw this bug in my room, so I am going to figure out if there are more of them. I am slightly entomophobic, so this makes it worse.

My mind is so much more relaxed now. The photos weren't as good as seeing it in real life (due to focus problems) but you are certain with it, so I am happy with that.

I have learnt a lot from experts like you and other forum members. (I can remain vigilant and am now more aware of the problem) Thank you all. I will definitely be ordering the passive monitor once I figure out the right location to place it since my bed is attached to the wall and the only option is on the side of the bed.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 13 2011 14:54:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have PM'ed you an email address send wide angle shots and I will work out the best install location. If you take a room shot any close up of the detail of the bed it will help me, if you look in our advanced educational section for the document on optimising beds you will see the sort of detail that helps.

Glad to see you lowering the stress level, it's the one thing that never helps and is so often unfounded.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,846 posts in 50,049 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas