PLEASE HELP IM TERRIFIED FOUND BUGS NO MONEY

(3 posts)
  1. Scaredshitless

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jun 26 2018 11:12:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok so about a month ago we found bugs in a matress that was given to us...no idea how long theyve been there but they werent tiny. Needless to say, i freaked because we have 4 boys that like to go from bed to bed or bed to couch plus tgrow their dirty clothes amongst other clothes.

Anyway i have never so much as had anything other than ants or spiders so i freaked and had my husband throw out the mattress. Then we found them in the frame of the damn bunk bed so he tore it apart and threw it out the window. I did a MASSIVE deep cleaning of their room and washed and dried the shit out of everything in there as well as completely coated everything and 91% alcohol vacuumed it everything. Then something made me check our mattress just to be safe and sure as shit we flipped it over and there was two huge ones just chilling so I flipped again not have I ever read anything yet so I didn't know not to do that and I made him get rid of our mattress and boxspring then went behind him and vacuumed all the way out the door as well as cleaned our room the same way as I did the boys.

Now I had him check the third bedroom which is where our twins sleep and he happened to catch one running back into like the frame and I just am completely exhausted from the first two rooms. This all happened this weekend I am about to call or apartments because unfortunately I live in subsidized housing and I know my neighbors are not clean cuz I had seen in their houses which is even more upsetting because I am a neat freak but apparently not enough I feel so dirty and scared and embarrassed and scared and scared because I just don't know how to explain it I'm not sleeping at all I'm freaking out I'm worried about calling and being judged we bought some of that bed bug powder but for some reason it only comes out in thick clumps like it doesn't come out in the nice dust you would think it would so I don't know how you're supposed to put it down like a little bit I've read so much in these forums that I'm starting to get confused please help I don't know what to do we do not have a lot of money or any really I'm terrified

2. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jun 26 2018 13:57:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I first want to reassure you that having bed bugs doesn't mean you're dirty. Bed bugs only care about blood, not whether you are rich or poor - and anyone can get them in places where lots of folks are gathered together like movie theaters, airports, hotels, or apartments.

Depending on what state you live in, your landlord may be responsible for tackling the bed bug issue and in some states they are not allowed to retaliate against you or force you to pay as it's impossible to tell in an apartment who originally brought the bugs in. I strongly urge you to consult your local tenant rights group as they can probably help you figure out what your rights are in regards to bed bugs.

Additionally, what kind of bed bug powder did you purchase? If you have the money, I would definitely buy Cimexa. It's not too expensive, you can buy it on Amazon, and it's pretty effective. You can dust it into the baseboards of your apartment with a brush or with a bellows duster (which you can also get on Amazon at the same time for semi-cheap) and also on the cracks/crevices of your mattress, between the mattress and box spring - basically all the places bed bugs would hide. Don't put it on your actual bedding on the side you sleep on. It's extremely drying and while it's pretty safe, you don't want to get it on your skin, in your eyes, or breathe too much of it in because of the drying properties.

I would also try to buy ClimbUps, but if money is a huge issue, I would try to find some sort of empty containers (coffee cans maybe?) for each foot of all your beds and fill the containers with oil (you don't have to use a ton - just enough that bugs would have to swim in it to get to the actual foot of your bed). Double-sided sticky tape is also an option so they get stuck trying to climb up. Pull your beds away from the wall before you do this since bed bugs can climb walls. You want to try to isolate your beds as much as possible and make sure your bedding doesn't touch the floor. Wash and dry all your bedding on the hottest setting possible. Clean clothes can go straight into the dryer at the hottest setting to make sure they're safe. You'll want to do it on the hottest setting for at least 30 minutes.

When you search for bed bugs, keep in mind they can hide in the seams of your mattress and also inside of your box spring. They also like wood, so check wooden furniture or any furniture that is close to the bed.

Once your bed is isolated, you can dust Cimexa around the feet of your bed to ensure the bed bugs have to crawl through it to try and get to you. If your landlord calls an exterminator, let them know you used Cimexa so they can advise you whether you need to vacuum it up before treatment.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jun 26 2018 15:43:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Stop using the powder, contact your building management. I'm certain this isn't the first time one of their properties has had a bed bug infestation, so they may be better equiped to assess the situation.
    There is absolutely no reason for you to feel embarrassed. People that attach a stigma to bed bugs are scared and confused, and understandably so. But there's no reason to feel ashamed, we all need to get over that hurdle before we can hope for any longterm solution.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,776 posts in 50,036 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,360 members. Latest: Mikayah, maybeebedbugs, jnnafnlys01