Please help identify these two [a: booklouse and unknown]

(12 posts)
  1. puve

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 17:38:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so grateful this place exists, and I hope someone can help identify what I have here. I thought something was biting me, and many years ago I had experience with bed bugs in a different country, so I'm quite paranoid of it happening again. About a month ago I had a house guest from Europe, and I realize we did not take any precautions or inspections of their luggage! I have recently done a thorough inspection and found no sign of bed bugs or anything else, but I bought some little sticky traps to put up on and around the bed. It was four days before I found anything, but here is what turned up today. The larger one, I am quite sure is not a bed bug. The tiny one worries me. I wish I could have gotten a better quality photo. I did try to enhance it a bit, but I'm not sure if that helps. Any help in identification would be greatly appreciated! (apologies, but I guess you must click twice to get to the full size image)

This one was trapped on the bed. It is approximately 1.5mm in length.

This one would be about 1cm long if stretched out, it is kind of curled up on the glue. Trapped on the floor, under the bed, near the headboard.

Thanks again

2. BonVoyageBedBugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 18:01:51
    #

Login to Send PM

The first mystery bug is impossible to identify one way or another, simply due to the quality of the photo. If you come across another bug of similar appearance, could you use macro mode on your phone or camera to take a close up shot?

At this resolution, even details like the number of legs can't be observed.

3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 18:08:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BonVoyage -- I sent you a PM (private message)

Richard

4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 18:16:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Yikes! Let's take a deep breath and back up here for a minute . . .

@puve . . . I am confident that NEITHER of your bugs are bed bugs. The first one appears to be a psocid / book louse (but not 100% certain because the photo is so small (I can usually ID a psocid)) . . . and I don't know WHAT that second one is. (But it is absolutely no where near being a bed bug!)

Regardless, let's wait for one of the experts/pros to ID please!

@BonVoyageBedBugs: please read this recent post from our hostess/moderator:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/amateur-bug-ids-the-importance-of-knowing-your-limits

[EDITED: Ok, now my post doesn't make a lot of sense because BonVoyageBedBugs edited his/her post! . . . but that's not necessarily a bad thing! ]

5. BonVoyageBedBugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 18:30:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you AF. I apologize for jumping the gun.

6. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 18:32:56
    #

Login to Send PM

BonVoyageBedBugs -  » 
    Thank you AF. I apologize for jumping the gun.

It's all in the name of trying to help, right?!

But, bed bug freaked out people tend to get, ummmmm, freaked out when told they might have bed bugs!

7. puve

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 18:55:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the replies so far. All input is helpful. And the efforts not to freak me out unduly are also appreciated I am going to see if I can get a better photo with a different camera, but I'm waiting for the battery to charge up. I'm not sure it will do any better job than what I already have, but it's worth a shot.

8. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 18:56:52
    #

Login to Send PM

puve -  » 
    I am going to see if I can get a better photo with a different camera, but I'm waiting for the battery to charge up. I'm not sure it will do any better job than what I already have, but it's worth a shot.

That's fine, but I'm not sure it's necessary (but I guess it wouldn't hurt). I believe Lou will be able to tell you what it is based on the photo and as I said it looks like a psocid but could be something else . . . just not a bed bug!

9. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 19:19:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Here’s a few you can look at for comparison:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/psocid-pls-id

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/id-needed-6

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bug-id-82

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bug-id-please-137

See how much longer the body/abdomen looks and “separate” the thorax (at least I think it’s the thorax!) is compared to a bed bug’s?

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 6 2015 19:39:50
    #

Login to Send PM

AbFr is correct-- it is fully possible to say bug #1 is not a bed bug due to the shape of head and body. I agree with likely psocid/booklouse.

#2 isn't a bed bug either.

Please wait for an expert for specific ID.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 5:07:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, the first pictures are a booklouse. The last pictures -- well, not quite sure. Would need different views of the object.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  12. puve

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 11 2015 15:44:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you loubugs for the booklouse ID. I was unfortunately unable to get better photos of the unknown specimen. Would you agree it isn't bed bug related? Just by looking at it I can't see any resemblance to any photo of a bed bug that I've ever seen.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams