Please help identify something I found on a BB Alert Passive

(20 posts)
  1. mrwitz

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 16 2011 15:28:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I will keep this short but I was doing my bi-weekly inspection and found a little speck on the edge of a passive I have installed near where I sit at my computer.

I think this is the cast skin of something, but I can't tell if it is from a psocid or a first instar bedbug. It is near a collection of old records so they would both like to live there, so right now it is up for grabs.

The Picture

Thanks for your help.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 17 2011 0:45:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I will leave this one for the experts. Hopefully one will be along to advise you.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 17 2011 1:34:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a bed bug ... nothing to worry about.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 17 2011 1:39:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Look roachy to you, KQ?

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 17 2011 7:40:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Inconclusive due to quality of photo provided.

Can uou send additional photos taken from different angles?

pb

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 17 2011 12:00:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its not bedbug related. To me if you excuse the technical detail it looks more like the shards of skin you get that often fall down the sides of beds.

I am 100% confident that its not bedbug, I just cold not post from my iPhone last night so sorry for the delay.

A cast skin shed around the passive will almost always remain electrostatically attached to the detection skirt unless a strong gust of wind blows them away. You are also not likely to get a cast skin shed without faecal signs being present first, they tend to be very selective about where they shed, after all it is one of the most vulnerable stages of an insects development.

Hope that clear it up.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly declare my vested interest in the passive technology as the inventor and patent holder.

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  7. mrwitz

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 17 2011 16:40:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it. I am certainly glad that the consensus is that this is not bb related.

Mr. Cain thank you for the explanation about the functionality of the passive. I was actually wondering about the possibity of finding a cast skin but no fecal traces. That does seem to make sense, and it is always good to learn more about detection methods. I have found other little skin like scraps once before, but this looked to suspicious for me to ignore

Nobugs, thanks for the help, I certainly hope this is not roach related. I am still no sure what this is but after examining the picture for a while it looks like there might be a head on it that is hanging just of the white border of the bb alert. With a head this would look really like a psocid. But if it's that or just a piece of dead skin it is the same for me, so long as it is not one of, well you know, those.

8. mrwitz

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 1:29:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to first say thank you again to all the fine people who post here. I unfortunately have another ID request though.

I inspected my dresser today, which is about 3 feet from my bed, and have found some very worring black spots. I have found spots on the drawers of this before, but dismissed them as two scattered and small to be anything. This time though I pulled the drawers all the way out and found a cluster of spots right at on the back corner of the middle drawer.

This is that spot: Drawer Picture For reference the plastic nub on the side is 1/2" wide.

Two things I should point out.
    -I did the "Q-Tip + Saliva" smear test and nothing happened as far as I could tell.
    -I took apart the drawer and could find nothing beyond black spots, but perhaps they are living in the clothes I keep in the drawer?

Any opinions? I didn't want to clutter up the boards with another new thread, so I hope this is an okay way of posting this question.

9. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 1:40:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not 100% sure with every spot. Some I can rule out but others would need closer examination in person. I would be looking for other evidence in that same dresser. Best of luck!

10. mrwitz

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 1:52:06
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ thanks for the late night (or early morning) help! I have been keeping an eye on that dresser for a while, here are two pictures that I took a while back that show what most of the spots I have found look like:

http://i.imgur.com/IXJ0B.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/4EA8z.jpg

I should tell some of the story. I had found these spots about two months ago and they were one of the reasons I called a for a k9 inspection. At that time the dog cleared my apartment and with no reason to believe that I had bedbugs I accepted the result. About a month later my parents spent a night in my place (I exposed them to bb about three months before they came, though they are confident they don't have them) and a week later I began experiences some odd skin reactions. I have been on high alert since then, but this my first find that really suggests the possibility of their presence. So now I can't tell if new spots are appearing or if these are just old ones I missed/wrote off as not bb-related.

11. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 1:56:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Same as the other picture. They would need to be viewed in person for the proper response I feel. For what its worth I find evidence 99% of the time in the bed with an active infestation. If not there the Sofa in the living room is the next best place.

But don't take that lightly, anything is possible so I would continue searching or have a pro come in to help figure out what is going on.

12. mrwitz

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 2:19:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reply again KQ. I showed those spots to the people who did my k9 inspection and they said they did not look like fecal to them. They were a small outfit though who only did inspections, so I am not sure if I trust them now (or the efficacy of their inspection at all).

I will keep looking.

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 5:17:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I also agree its not farcal, wrong locations (too out in the open) and too small with the wrong shape when you really zoom in.

David

14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 14:38:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I looked at the initial image uploaded. If you look at the strip of fabric to the right of the coin, there is a small insect right below the lower edge of the fabric and sort of touching it, It looks like it could be a first instar bed bug nymph. The non-insect artifact is plastic-like, more to the right and on the fabric. A better shot of the insect would help to make an ID.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  15. VictoryIsMine

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 14:57:27
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs,

I was wondering about that one, too.

16. mrwitz

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 19:59:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou, I thought that's what everyone was posting about, was I wrong?

Regarding the thing to the right of the coin I think that if you look really closely at it, you can see a head on the bug that is on that little orange strip. I think with a head on it it looks a lot like a psocid.

If it was a first instar it was a dead one because it didn't go anywhere while I was taking pictures and moving things around.

Great, now I am all kinds of nervous again. I really hope that it isn't a first instar.

Oh PS, That is the best image I got before I accidentally brushed the passive monitor and knocked whatever that bug thing is away.

17. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 21:40:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I was able to download the image and zoom in. It's a booklouse -- can see the hind legs, head, much better now to make a definitive ID.

18. mrwitz

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 19 2011 22:45:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Mr. Sorkin for confirming that I am not deluding myself into thinking that was not a bedbug. Sorry to make you go through the hassle of staring at my bad picture, but I really appreciate your help.

19. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 20 2011 6:02:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The picture is actually a really good one.

I went back and checked myself. I must confess I had discounted it the first time around on the screen of my iPhone but when its downloaded to the PC I could see better and was about to update as Pscocids when I saw Lou had beaten me to it.

I wonder if I am missing a marketing opportunity for booklice detectors?

Glad to see normal status is resumed.

David

20. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 20 2011 6:18:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, the picture is actually very clear and I like it. The booklouse, because of its positioning, was difficult to differentiate from the background fabric when initially viewed on a phone and I had a hard time of seeing the head.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,891 posts in 50,057 topics over 155 months by 21,882 of 22,369 members. Latest: sai, Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019