Please help ID my bite if possible

(17 posts)
  1. rlee17

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 30 2011 23:16:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I know it's almost impossible to ID bites... but anyway here's my story.

about 2 weeks ago, I started getting some weird bites, I am not sure if it happened during my sleep or not. I got about 10 bites over the span of like 2-3 days.

Here are some pics of the scars left from it:

http://i53.tinypic.com/np0ynp.jpg
    http://i56.tinypic.com/2f0dgkn.jpg

That's a total of 7 right there on my legs. The other 3 were on my left upper arms. Notice the linear pattern on the 1st pic. 4 bites in a line. That is my strong suspicion that they were bed bugs. They also itched like hell, it wasn't a mosquito bite for sure. They itched for several days intensy.

After that episode, I washed everything with hot water on my bed. I threw away my pillows. Washed my blanket, sheets, covers, everything, although I know bed bugs could actually hide inside the bed itself. I did a thorough examination of my bed like 5 times without any signs of bed bugs. No dead bugs, no blood stains, no fecal matter, nothing. (yes I did a lot of research!). I was sleeping in a different bed for a few nights after that as well. Then I started sleeping in my own bed for a few days and I was ok, i thought I was clear. About 2days ago, I got a new bite sleeping in my bed. It was only 1 bite, so I am not sure if it is a bed bug. Maybe I have 1 single bed bug which is hard to spot? I don't know..

Anyway here is the new bite from 2 days ago, it itches like crazy, and it has the same bite characteristic as my first set of bites, but it's only 1 single bite which is weird...

http://i53.tinypic.com/r221w5.jpg
    http://i51.tinypic.com/egcmxy.jpg
    http://i52.tinypic.com/169rrdc.jpg

Do you guys think it's bed bug(s)?

Any advice on what I should do? I'm thinking about buying a bed fogger thing like this http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Inc-51528-Fumigator-Fogger/dp/B000A0VUTK/ref=pd_sim_ol2 would those work?

2. BugsMustDie

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 30 2011 23:31:16
    #

Login to Send PM

If you even suspect bed bugs, do not use foggers! They will not kill the bugs; just cause them to scatter, making them much more difficult to treat.

There are lots of things (different kinds of mites, for example) that can cause similar bite responses, so you can't diagnose with bites alone. Keep looking for other evidence or call in a professional since a good one may be able to find something you've overlooked.

Good luck

3. Perplexed

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 5 2011 13:34:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I need advice about some mysterious bites, which seemed to appear suddenly and which resemble many photos of bed bug bites. I have six, clustered just beneath my left breast; they do itch.
    I would think that I was bitten in the sauna at my gym, except that I read that heat kills bed bugs.

The sequence of events was: Two evenings ago, I went to aquatics at a gym where I'm a member. I am quite certain that I had no bites when I put my swim suit on. After about an hour in the pool, followed by a shower, I went to the sauna and spent about 10 minutes there (lying on a gym-provided towel on the wooden bench, with a small towel over me). I dressed and left. While walking the few blocks home, I became aware of some itching. When I reached home, I looked in the mirror and saw the above-mentioned bites. Over the last two days, the bites have not spread but have faded only slightly.

One dilemma is whether to report this to my gym. Recently, they did post a warning after finding an actual bed bug in the locker room. They did have a PCO.

Another is what precautions to take to avoid bringing any bugs home...if that's what bit me.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 5 2011 18:24:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Rlee17,

I am sorry, but no one can diagnose bed bugs based on what your skin looks like. It's impossible, even for dermatologists. You need to find other forms of evidence. Bed bug monitors may help, and you can read about these in FAQs linked from the Useful Stuff page.

Perplexed,

Many people first notice bed bug bites after exposure to heat. Discovering them after a shower, or when working up a sweat, appears to be common. This is why you may have noticed this reaction in the sauna. It think it would be doubtful you were bitten in the sauna if the heat is hot enough and on constantly.

There's a FAQ here about avoiding exposure when you visit an infested location.. The same principles apply. Seal your stuff in an XL Ziploc in your locker. Seal your worn clothing in a separate airtight bag after use and until it can be washed and dried on hot. You can use thick garbage bags, but tie in an airtight manner. Also, drying on hot alone works too if you need to wash at colder temps.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. SandiZan

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 5 2011 20:34:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree, you cannot tell by looking at the bites. My husband has a severe reaction, so he has things that look like bites, boils, hives; they are all different. He also has delayed reactions. Because of that, we were not aware that the reaction was caused by bed bugs at all - his doctors thought he was possibly allergic to a medication. My son's bites look totally different. I have absolutely no reaction. If it were possible to diagnose by what the bite looks like, he may have been diagnosed in the first place. It took many months - really, until we saw the first bed bug on the bed. Our inspections found nothing.

6. rlee17

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2011 23:32:49
    #

Login to Send PM

OK i haven't gotten any bites for over 2 weeks now... but today, i saw a dead bug in the bathroom floor. I'm almost 100% sure it's a bed bug, can someone ID it and confirm?

http://i56.tinypic.com/2q9gcid.jpg

next steps....?

i live a 5 floor apartment building, i live on the 2nd floor. i just learned that the basement tenants had bed bugs before. i'm wondering if it spread...?

7. Ihatebedbugs1

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2011 23:54:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I could b wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's not a bed bug. Hopefully one of the experts will see ur pic and let u kno for sure.

8. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2011 23:55:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Your pic doesn't scream bb to me. but then again, i'm no expert. Wait for one of the experts to come by.

9. rlee17

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 15 2011 0:53:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I compared it to this google image pic: http://getridofbedbugstreatment.com/getridofbedbugs.jpg

the body lines look VERY identical

10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 15 2011 9:22:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Compare the antennas. BB have distinct 4-segment antennae. Your sample has long, curly ones.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  11. AshamedandScratching

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 15 2011 9:31:06
    #

Login to Send PM

See those short spikes stoking out of it's rump?

Bed bugs don't have those, I believe that might be a roach nymph because they do.

Again, not an expert, but they definitely don't have a body part sticking out of the butt.

12. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 15 2011 17:35:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitively a roach nymph.

13. AshamedandScratching

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 15 2011 18:14:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, I'm learning stuff! Yay!

14. bite_n_scratch

Account closed

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 16 2011 1:52:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Haven't seen a baby cock-a-roach in yeeears. With a swipe from the 4 fingers of your hand those babies got the sh*t slapped outta them and smack--they died!

15. rlee17

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 19 2011 18:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks all, that's reassuring.... however, last night i just got my first new bite since i made this thread... it is on the back of my right leg. 1 single bite after 2.5 weeks of no bites.... i'm baffled. do i have 1 single bed bug just biting me once every now and then and hiding for weeks? anyone else heard similar stories? the bite signature is the same, the way it itches and the way it feels is exactly the same, so i'm 100% sure it's the same bug/creature or whatever that is causing it, it will itch for days

16. rlee17

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 30 2011 18:40:07
    #

Login to Send PM

ok i know it's not possible to identify bites, but i'd like to post another picture.

http://i39.tinypic.com/20s6q0h.jpg

i am almost positive i got this new bite while i was using my computer and not on my bed. i came home from work, then started using my computer as i usually do and all of a sudden my right arm felt itchy. it eventually swelled into a large red itchy bump over the next 2 days. it's super itchy, and now it's slightly smaller, but turned purple-ish - same characteristic as my previous bites, they itch like crazy and eventually turn this purple-ish color. now i'm very confused, it is probably not bed bugs if i got the bite while i was using my computer right? and if you look closely at the picture, you can see 2 small bumps, it looks like it was 2 bites, i don't know.... ugh, any help is appreciated, these phantom bites are turning into scars and it is really annoying me, i don't know what to do

17. rlee17

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 23 2011 10:51:52
    #

Login to Send PM

another "bite": http://i40.tinypic.com/1078c1w.jpg

i really need help, this is driving my nuts. I am pretty sure it's not bed bugs at this point because I got this "bite" yesterday after I came home from the gym at about 6 PM. I came home from the gym, started to use my computer, then started to notice my right arm itch a little, it was a little red, but I knew it was going to grow into a swollen bump just like the rest of the "bites" i've had. the picture taken was from this morning after it swollened up. in a few days, it will turn purple, then turn into a scar just like my other bites...

can someone PLEASSSSSSSE advice what i should do? my derm said it's impossible to ID bug bites, he just gave me prescription med to relieve the itching.

some patterns i've noticed... the last 3-4 "bites" were are my arms only. i've never had a bite on my body or face area. my mom or sister who i live with do not get these bites. i'm in my room a lot and i usually start to experience the first signs of itch when i'm in my room.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,173 posts in 46,246 topics over 140 months by 20,386 of 21,217 members. Latest: VAhouse, dontpanic, Koroifox