Please help ID feces!

(5 posts)
  1. mshuimei

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 3 2019 13:34:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Over two months ago, I had a scare when I found a single bug at my place after staying the night in an infested apartment. I went all out to take preventative measures: casing for mattress (ductaped shut) and all bedding, climb ups, d.e. sprinkled everywhere, steaming, laundering, etc. Months went by and I didn't see any more signs of bugs or find any bites.

At just over the two month mark (Since the first scare) I started getting little raised red bumps in patches of three on my back, in between my shoulder blades and on my neck. They're not super itchy but they do seem to fit perfectly with descriptions of bedbug bites. They seem to appear every few weeks, which seems to fit with description of the feeding cycle.

I've checked and re-laundered/steamed all of my bedding. The odd thing is, I still don't see any signs on my white sheets: no blood smears or poop. And there is nothing in the climb ups. HOWEVER- I did find black marks scattered along one side of the bed on the mattress casing itself, underneath my top sheets. I've laundered it and tried the wet q-tip test and it doesn't smear or wash out. Could this be feces?

I'd really like to try to make sure before calling an exterminator because my living situation is a bit precarious at the moment and going through the whole extermination process would complicate things for me. Any advice on how I should proceed? I'm starting to go a bit crazy.

https://imgur.com/a/DosjRxy

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 3 2019 14:16:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

None of those images are bedbug confirming. Please see the example images and compare the fine detail.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. mshuimei

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 3 2019 15:23:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there something specific I should be looking for in example photos? To me they just look like black dots, it's very hard to distinguish any similarities/differences. That's why I was hoping to get an expert opinion.

Also, in what way are the images not bedbug confirming? Are the photo quality too poor? Or the marks just too ambiguous? Perhaps I can try to take a better photo.

Also, do you have any advice on additional ways to check/detect the presence of bugs before calling an exterminator? I realize that bites alone are very hard to ID.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 3 2019 15:45:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you look at images that are confirmed as bedbug faecal you will see by comparison that they look absolutely nothing at all like the images you have taken. On just about every level other than the fact they are spots on sheets, that is about where the similarity ends. The density is wrong is all images, the colour is wrong in most images and the pattern of deposition is also wrong on most of them.

Its not about image quality, in fact its because your images are good I can say 100% its not bedbug that caused these marks.

If you read the static sections of the website, the FAQ and useful tools sections you will find there is a lot of content that explains how to confirm infestations.

Bites alone are impossible to ID from.

David

5. mshuimei

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 3 2019 17:02:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah, I see. Thank you for clarifying!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,799 posts in 50,040 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen