Please help ID bug. Is this a bedbug? [a: no; beetle, likely fungus beetle]

(12 posts)
  1. iamscare

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Apr 21 2015 21:40:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all

Can someone please help me to ID this bug please . is this about a bedbug? I am very scared and I am shaking right now. I try to take a picture of the top and the belly of it. it's one same bug in the picture. Thank you

http://flic.kr/p/sfx9nx

2. iamscare

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Apr 21 2015 22:08:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted a few picture last week. That was a different bug. The bug was more like black colour. The one I discovered today looks like a brown colour one. And it looks very like a bed bug. I'm so sorry to keep posting pictures. But I'm so paranoid n worry now.

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Apr 21 2015 22:46:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Cool your jets, it's still NOT a bed bug.

Get some sleep !

pjb

4. iamscare

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 22 2015 0:01:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for being so annoying, but can I please ask you to look at pictures #2, 6, 7. Do you think it really doesn't look like bed bugs? Because the colour is like a bb colour and also the shape of the body looks like bedbug. I'm so sorry again for being so annoying. I hope you understand my fear

5. paranoidaboutbugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 22 2015 1:17:20
    #

Login to Send PM

http://bedbugger.com/bed-bug-images/
    Have some nice pictures for comparison.

PBello knows his way around bed bugs, so I'd trust that when he says it's not a bed bug, it's not a bed bug. Try to calm down and relax~ You're going to be okay.

Let's get down the business... to defeat... the bugs. HWAH!
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 22 2015 13:13:28
    #

Login to Send PM

iamscare - 13 hours ago  » 
    Sorry for being so annoying, but can I please ask you to look at pictures #2, 6, 7. Do you think it really doesn't look like bed bugs? Because the colour is like a bb colour and also the shape of the body looks like bedbug. I'm so sorry again for being so annoying. I hope you understand my fear

As Paul said, the photo above is not a bed bug. I can't see photos #2, 6 and 7. If you have photos of a different bug, please post direct links to them.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. iamscare

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 22 2015 15:21:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Nobugsonme,

I tried to post the link here again, there are a total of 7 pictures on my flickr album. The ones I was doubtful about was picture #2, 6, and 7.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82361995@N08/17043603639/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/82361995@N08/16609579543
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/82361995@N08/

Thank you

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 22 2015 15:52:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Still nothing bed bug related... go fish.

9. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 22 2015 21:46:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I’ve looked at all the photos you posted.

And, while I can’t tell you exactly what your critter is based upon the quality of those photos, what I can tell you about is the story this thread brings to mind here below. And, if you have patience combined with a sense of humor, you’ll eventually see how this is all related. So, read on and you’ll see . . .

Years ago when attending college as an entomology student I held many jobs necessary to support college costs. One of these jobs was working as a produce department clerk in a grocery store. When working for a length of time in the store one can’t help but learn to recognize certain customers who frequent the store. It’s not like you know them by name, but you kinda-sorta know them because they’re in the store once or twice a week and may ask questions from time to time, etc.

There was one woman who seemed to ask numerous produce questions and, of course, we all tried to help out as best we could despite the number or nature of the questions posed. Still, some folks just seemed to have way more questions than others and she was one of them.

On the occasion that comes to mind, it must have been midterms, finals week or even worse, Georgia may have lost our last game, because all us working students were, shall we say, a bit testy. It was a Monday and this woman was in the store and obviously wondering through the produce department looking lost. I asked if she needed help finding anything to which she replied; do you have broccoli? In response I told her no, as we had sold out of broccoli earlier in the day and we’d probably have more when the truck arrives on Thursday.

Tuesday morning arrives and guess who is in the store bright & early that morning but this same woman. Once again she asked for broccoli. Once again we told her that there was no broccoli and that she needed to come back on Thursday.

Believe it or not on Wednesday pretty much the same thing happens. This woman is in the store and looking for broccoli. This time she asked the two guys working with me prior to approaching me moments later with the same query. Now remember, for one reason or another, our collective patience as students had worn a tad thin by now when the woman approaches once more and asks: do you have any broccoli?

By this time it was clear that this woman either didn’t or could not understand that there simply was no broccoli. As such, we attempted to find a way which in which to make her understand. In doing so I spoke with her saying: you seem like a nice lady, you’re in the store a few days a week and you’re one of our favorite customers. I’ll bet you can spell too. Of course she replied but I keep asking do you have any broccoli?

To this I said, let’s play a quick spelling game. Spell Tom like in tomato. To this she responds T – O – M, Tom. Good I said. Now, spell Pot like in potato. She then says P – O – T, Pot. Very good said I. Now, spell Flock like in Broccoli. To this she replies, but there’s no flock in broccoli! And we all said, that’s what we’re trying to tell you M’am ! ! !

As for your bug ID, I looked at all the photos. They all seem to be of the same critter and NONE of them are a bed bug. It appears to be a beetle, possibly a grain/pantry pest type beetle but we’d need a much better quality photo to know for sure.

Have a great day ! pjb

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 22 2015 23:00:40
    #

Login to Send PM

It appears to be seven photos of the same bug?
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/82361995@N08/

As Paul said, it's not a bed bug. Definitely not.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 23 2015 3:59:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In reply to your PM this is 100% not a bedbug. Its a beetle, although you have identified the colour as being a concern it is far too light and tan in colour to be a bed bug although to be fair colour is not what we focus on.

If you look at the shape of the abdomen you can see it is clearly rounded and has no horizontal segmentation.

Part of getting used to identifying insects is to move away from subjective characteristics towards physical features which are by definition less subjective. This is why I started the "outlines" project to show people that even in black and white you can pick out key features. I have included some examples below:

Slide11 by bedbugscouk, on Flickr

Slide12 by bedbugscouk, on Flickr

Although the segmentation of the abdomen is similar you can see from the outlines that lice have much more defined "claw like" front legs.

If you have issues looking at example images try the outlines until they freak you out less and can see the differences in physiology.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 23 2015 10:39:49
    #

Login to Send PM

The insect is a beetle. The image is not in good enough focus to actually tell you which species it is, but it looks like one of the fungus beetles. This has nothing to do with bed bugs. You have to look at bed bug pictures in order to help yourself understand the difference.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,685 posts in 50,015 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me