Please help ID: blood/fecal stains? After vikane :(

(4 posts)
  1. sadpandadc

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 24 2013 20:16:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Can one of the experts on the site please let me know if these spots are indicative of early bed bug activity?

My story is I just moved out of an infested apartment after 3 treatments in November/December. I took every precaution not to bring them with me, using Vikane in a chamber (through Connor's), working with a moving company that they recommended. Before putting out everything from boxes, I re-treated everything through my Packtite.

I am currently still on an airbed before getting my new bed this weekend. However, I noticed these spots on my blanket this morning. I'm trying not to freak out too much about them, wondering if they are old spots that I didn't notice before. I didn't use this blanket on my bed in my old apartment before, but my guests might have used it (before I discovered the problem).

I'm going to remain vigilant but would appreciate if any experts could let me know if these blood spots and that black stain are anything to worry about. I've been looking around my room and can't find any telltale spots on walls, outlets, etc. There are no pieces of furniture right now, just plastic tubs with things.

Thank you!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 24 2013 20:35:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The top image is nothing to worry about.

The lower image is slightly out of focus but worth testing with Bed Bugs Blue but it appears quite large for faecal so I would not worry further if its negative.

I would also not be looking in outlets in a new location if there are bedbugs they will not live in the outlets first they will be closer to where you sleep.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. sadpandadc

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 24 2013 23:25:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for the input, David! I took a better shot of the second photo in case this is clearer. On closer inspection, I see it is entirely black. If I'm not mistaken, your guide to fecal matter says that black spots are more of an indicator of old blood spots than fecal matter. So technically, if this spot here is entirely black without some underlying reddish brownish tint, it wouldn't be fecal matter?

Sorry for the follow up, just trying to improve my fecal matter-detection skills... if I see another one of these, I will definitely swing for the Bed Bug Blue Test, if only for peace of mind.

As always, thanks again to you and the other experts on this board for the help!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 25 2013 12:12:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its just too close to call visually, there are pretty much equal indications for it being not as there are for it being faecal.

The big one that says no though is the second or double drop effect at the top of the spot. Due to the physical viscosity of faecal material this is extremely unlikely to happen and from my understanding of blood splatter analysis the height of the source would exclude bedbugs.

Sorry the only accurate way I know to resolve that one cost effectively is Blue.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs