PLEASE HELP!! I don't understand

(24 posts)
  1. Tina232

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 10:01:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok i don't get this. I have placed two sided tape in a few places all around the house and still no sign of bedbugs.(a couple around each bed too) I have been going to bed in long sleeve and pants. I went like 4 days with no bites and then this morning i wake up with 5 or 6 new bites. How does that happen? N how do i know whether i'm gettin it from the couch or the bed or both? My bed right now is only a blow up mattress can bugs hide on that? Hmm i'm very confused. I am pregnant and due may 11 and this is just too much stress. I don't want my son or new born to get bit. I got a exminator to look around in the house and found NOTHING. He said we have to find one before treating. Can't i just go ahead and treat the house? These bites ar e crazy itchy and i hate it. Any advice would help. I'm getting frustrated. I even wake up at 4am and check the bed with a flashlight and still nothing. Where are these things hiding so frustrating.

2. BostonPCT

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 10:12:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugs rarely get caught on glueboards or tape. Keep a flashlight near the bed at night. If you wake up use it to check for bedbugs. You should be able to find a company that will treat...however you should confirm it is bedbugs first. Have you thought about a dog? Much better inspectors than people. Expensive but in the long run you'll save money and a lot and prep work

3. itchyandtired

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 11:44:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I am also sleeping on an blow up because I had to get rid of all my furniture because of these nasty things. I put double sided tape around my bed for a month and never caught one that way. I still got bit up. The last couple of weeks I have put down glue traps and have not had any luck with them either. I have had a PCO out 7 times and the last time they came they said they can not spray anymore because they don't see anything anymore, unless I can find more proof and bites are not good enough.

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 12:08:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately, bed bugs can be very hard to catch. There are plenty of stories here of people who had infestations but never managed to catch a bug. The bugs can be very small and can therefore hide in very tiny spaces. They don't only live in furniture. It's possible that they are hiding someplace else in the bedroom or in furniture in another room.

Did you choose a PCO (the name that pest control pros prefer to the title exterminator) who has a lot of experience with bed bugs? How long did the inspection last? If your PCO was experienced with bed bugs and did a thorough examination, it's possible that if you've seen no other signs of bed bugs (fecal traces, eggs, cast skins) there is something else besides bed bugs causing the bites.

I know it's stressful, and I know that with a baby on the way you're worried about protecting your kids, and I know the sleep deprivation doesn't help, so you certainly have our collective sympathy--esp. those of us who've been through it and know how bad it can be.

However, professionals won't treat without signs for a lot of reasons, not least of which is that these days you have to treat the particular pest that you have. Which means that they need to confirm that it's bed bugs so that they can use the right treatment for bed bugs, which is a different treatment than fleas, or carpet beetles, or mites.

Many people here have had success with using a well-trained bed bug detecting dog and handler team. Others have had just as much success with a PCO who really knows bed bugs. It's a busy time of year so I haven't been around and don't know for sure what your other posts have been, but have you read the FAQ on choosing a PCO? Have you have a bed bug experienced PCO out to do a good thorough inspection? Have you considered finding a good bed bug detection dog and handler team?

If you haven't, I would start there.

Hang in there.

5. BostonPCT

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 12:26:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmmm.that's tricky. They will go in inflatable mattresses. Does the pco not think you have any bb? There are no reliable traps on the market yet so finding a live one is your best bet. Do you like the company your using?

6. BugsInTO

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 12:53:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Tina:
    I have read that bedbugs go 5 - 6 days between feedings. So, you not getting bitten for 4 days, and then getting bitten, might match with their feeding cycle. And, if you get 5 or 6 new bites, they could all be from 1 or 2 bugs.

The fewer the bugs, the harder to find.

If you can afford a bedbug dog, definitely try it.

If not, go with the alarm clock, flashlight, 5-6:00am checking. It didn't work for me, but it has worked for others. Keep something handy to catch the bedbugs - maybe a spray bottle of 91% alcohol to spray them, or some sticky tape etc.

I have also read here that undisturbed bedbugs will tend to go back to the same places to hide after feeding. Check all around your bedroom looking for bedbug signs (use a flashlight & a magnifying glass) and look especially the black felt tip marks for their faeces and castings. Maybe you can find one of their hiding places.

Good luck.

7. BostonPCT

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 13:25:07
    #

Login to Send PM

All great points from bug guyinsocal. I'd will add more later. Too hard to type on phone.lol

8. Tina232

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 17:29:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the advice. I live in Peterborough and i have no idea where to look for a bedbug dog? Does anyone know of a good one in peterborough or one that will treat homes in peterborough? and how much does it usually cost just for the dog to inspect the home? Price ranges? I really hope i can get control of this bed bug situation soon. Thanx again

9. Tina232

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 17:30:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Peterborough, Ontario is where i live

10. BostonPCT

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 19:02:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Our bedbug dog runs about $300 an hour. Search NSDCA for a dog. I will look for you. Don't be scared by the price. The dog can tell you exactly where they are. Better than any human could ever do. This can save you time with prep-work, which should be a bonus if your pregnant, and cut way down on chemical use. If the dog only alerts to a sofa you only need to treat the sofa. Without the dog the entire place needs to be treated. There are a lot of negative posts I have read on this site about the dogs. I was very sceptical myself when our company was buying one. I thought it would be good for publicity and that was about it. I can't tell you what an effective weapon it is against these bugs. Every person who has used this dog has been more than pleased. I will look for a dog in your area tonight.

11. BostonPCT

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 19:24:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Closest one I see is Orkin in Vancouver, I have no idea how close that is. What are you near?

12. Tina232

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 21:22:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Peterborough, Ontario. Its not to far from toronto but its quite far from vancouver. Thats very frustrating. I hope theres one closer then that.

13. BostonPCT

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 21:26:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Give me 10 mins

14. BostonPCT

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 21:37:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Purity Pest Control... http://www.puritypestcontrol.com/index.html
    64 Conley, Thornhill, ON L4J 2X5

How's that? Are they close to you?

15. Tina232

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 22:11:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your help. I'm going to call them tomorrow. Wish me luck

16. BostonPCT

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 22:23:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck......keep us updated. Do some research on the company. Just because you use their dog doesnt mean you have to use them to treat!!!!

17. losingit

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 10:50:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I've used Purity for the dog services AND full treatment with steam, spray. Very thorough, they cost a bit more but I'd recommend it...

18. BostonPCT

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 12:52:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a good refferal! A little more money is usually a good thing and will most likely be worth it.

19. angie

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 13:04:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, Tina. I haven't been on for some time but I might be able to offer some hiding spots to check. For the bedroom, make sure to check high and low. Check trim and baseboards. You can do this carefully with a flat head screwdriver and a flashlight. I did this is the bedrooms even after having trashed all furniture only to find them living behind the trim. Now for the couch, have someone help you check the bottoms. I couldn't figure out where the bugs were living in my living room. I checked high and low and under the carpet edges, nothing. It was only when I was going to get rid of ALL furniture in the house did I see the nests and eggs and tons of bugs living under the front edge of the couch. Never would have looked there so please check that out. Wishing you good luck and it will eventually get better. Congrats on the baby, Mayy 11th is my daughters birthday.

20. BostonPCT

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 14:18:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Even better than a svrewdriver is a putty knife. Flatter/thinner and longer. Try taking off some outlet covers too. You can find them! Look around screws that have been drilled into wood and gaps in furniture where two pieces of wood come together. If you sleep on the couch or spend a lot of time at your computer lpok there. They are not always near the bed. Spend a couple of hours if you have to. Look for pics online so you know what to look for. Or pm me and I will send you photos. You can do it.

21. BBsBgone

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 20:12:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck Tina, so sorry you are going throuhg this right now. I would definitely do the dog, they are very helpful in light or early infestation, when it is very difficult to find anything. We were exposed in late October and found out about it in early November. We check all the beds, bed frames, the sofabed in my son's room, the ceilings, under the carpets, and the dressers and never saw a thing. Well, we got a dog in late November, and they alerted in one dresser in our room, and in the sofabed in our son's room. Turns out our beds were clear!

The PCO then tried to find the bugs himself and was unable to do so. The PCO that we are using to treat has checked the dresser and the sofabed in December and in Jauuary, and still could not find anything. We did weekly inspections with also saw nothing! well, we found a dead adult last week by the sofabed. The dog was definitely right!!

22. aballen

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 22:51:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you seen any blood spots on your sheets? That was my first clue when I began suspecting BB. When we were getting bitten, we saw blood pretty regularly, maybe twice a month. I inspected my pillow and sheets each morning under the bright sunlight or with a flashlight if it was overcast. When I started doing this, I found even the tiniest specks, pinhead size, that I would have normally overlooked. But, there was a large smear and larger blood spots visible without the bionic eye inspection. Seen anythinkg like that? I used a dog and it was well worth the money. I like the K9's that use the double blind method. I am calling one in in about 4-6 weeks if we stay bite free to hopefully confirm NO BB!

23. Tina232

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Feb 21 2009 15:39:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Just want to say thank you for all your advice. I have never seen any blood on the sheets either. I even wake up at 4 am and check the sheets and nothing. I was not bitten last night but am afraid i will tonight or the next night. I called the dog that bostonPCT searched up near my area and he says he will inspect the house for 350 dollars. So now i just have to get the 350 dollars and then i am for sure doing it. Me and my bf are very tight with money so i'm hopping with income tax comming in we can use some of that. I really want those bugs gone before may 11(thats my due date) if possible.

24. BostonPCT

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2009 13:32:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Good work, I really think the dog is the way to go. If he id's just a few areas like a chair hopefully you can just get rid of the chair and avoid the cost of treating the whole apartment. Who needs this stress when your pregnant?? Hopefully the dog finds nothing. BTW....do you have any pets? Could it be another insect thats biting you?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,686 posts in 45,068 topics over 137 months by 19,788 of 20,523 members. Latest: Starsky30, Sayitaintso99, bid