please help ease my mind-post heat treatment

(10 posts)
  1. scaredandashamed

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 14 2016 13:09:42
    #

Login to Send PM

We had a heat treatment done in our home on monday, after finding a live bedbug the week prior. After heating our home, they laid down a residual, as well as dusted outlets, crevices, etc. They came back today to do a follow up inspection, and found one dead bug under our couch. I know a dead bug is a good bug, but how do I stop the paranoia that there are survivors?!? I'm so scared this isn't over. We caught them early, but I'm so scared. Our couch cushions aren't removable, so could they have burrowed deep enough to survive? How penetrating is the heat? This is seriously screwing with my mind!

2. BugaMeBugaYou

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 14 2016 13:57:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Easy there. It's ok. Have you seen any signs of live ones since they treated your house? Or had any bites?
    I think the paranoia is something that will stick for awhile after something like this but you need to ground yourself with a few deep breaths and ask yourself if you've seen anything to indicate a continued problem. When in doubt, call your pest control people and ask. I'm SURE you will not be the first or last person to need some reassurance.

As far as how far the heat penetrates, I'm not sure. Someone else around here will know that. Hang in there.

((hugs))

I am a certified Herbalist, Aromatherapist, and Reiki Master Practitioner who is working toward a PhD in Natural Medicine but above all that I'm just a Mom obsessed with learning about Bed Bugs. Here to comfort and support some of the lost, panicked, and frantic until expert help can arrive.
  3. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 14 2016 14:18:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Heat treatments don't always work. You should start a 14 day countdown. If you don't find any live activity in the next 14 days, your treatment may have been a success.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 14 2016 20:00:53
    #

Login to Send PM

"Heat treatments don't always work" as Jim said, but that's why the company put down a residual and dust. So try not to panic.

Assuming it did not die of old age, you either found a bug which was killed by heat (which we're told can sometimes happen relatively soon after treatment is done) or one which was killed by the residual or dust. The key is, it was dead.

Monitors are a good idea for peace of mind but in your situation, a dead bed bug is a good bed bug.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. scaredandashamed

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 15 2016 9:46:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Jim-I'm not sure there will ever be any amount of days sign free that il feel at ease. Before treatment, I was bitten once on dec 24th, and it wasn't until about 11 days later when we randomly saw the one bed bug we found. No other confirmed bites, no evidence of them, nothing. We had 3 PCOs come in and inspect finding nothing. I assume this means that our case was caught early, and I'm just afraid we won't notice any signs of survivors until our warranty is up (30 days). I feel like these bugs have super powers or something.

6. scaredandashamed

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 15 2016 9:48:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs-my husband said it was crispy and dried out, so I assume in died during treatment. I don't *think* we've had them long enough for it to have died of old age. Hopefully.

7. scaredandashamed

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 15 2016 9:52:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugame-thank you. I think this is something that unfortunately has scarred me! Not seeing any signs is a good thing, but doesn't do a whole lot to ease my mind since we KNOW we had BBs based on seeing a live one (and now a dead one), and the only evidence ever was bites on me 1 time. :/

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 15 2016 18:24:29
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredandashamed - 8 hours ago  » 
    Jim-I'm not sure there will ever be any amount of days sign free that il feel at ease. Before treatment, I was bitten once on dec 24th, and it wasn't until about 11 days later when we randomly saw the one bed bug we found. No other confirmed bites, no evidence of them, nothing. We had 3 PCOs come in and inspect finding nothing. I assume this means that our case was caught early, and I'm just afraid we won't notice any signs of survivors until our warranty is up (30 days). I feel like these bugs have super powers or something.

Don't wait to see bed bugs wandering around. It's not that common if there are few present and they are acting normally.

Learn to look for fecal stains and try to identify any already present, so you will notice new ones which appear.

Also, bed bug monitors may help.

9. scaredandashamed

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 18 2016 21:17:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I found another dead one in our bedroom this time and I'm freaking out. We've never been able to find signs of them (neither have 3 PCOs), but lo and behold, they've been here. Undetected. I seriously can't relax. I feel like they are still here. Doesn't help
    That I discovered a very suspicious welt on my leg today either.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 19 2016 0:07:29
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredandashamed - 2 hours ago  » 
    I found another dead one in our bedroom this time and I'm freaking out. We've never been able to find signs of them (neither have 3 PCOs), but lo and behold, they've been here. Undetected. I seriously can't relax. I feel like they are still here. Doesn't help
    That I discovered a very suspicious welt on my leg today either.

Bed bug bite reactions can take hours, days or a week or more to appear.

As for the dead bed bug, I would be very happy to find that if I were you. It's dead, after all.

You just had a treatment designed to kill bed bugs, and I am not an expert but it makes sense that they might come out of hiding places. They came out to die. Even if the heat treatment did not kill them or did not kill them immediately, they were killed by either heat or the dust/residual. Success!

Take a deep breath, and try to believe this has worked. Until you have some evidence it hasn't (and we hope that won't happen.)

And yes, I know the welt is concerning, but it may well be a delayed reaction or not related to bed bugs at all. Did you not sometimes have unexplained itchy skin before bed bugs? I did, and after. And, some people even react in such a way to the presence of pesticide dusts.

If you want to be sure bed bugs are gone, I would look for fecal stains (if you can verify which ones were not there before) and consider using monitors.

But finding dead bed bugs? Cheer!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19