Please help! Do I have bed bugs?

(6 posts)
  1. BedBugHellPleaseHelp

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 27 2012 18:03:37
    #

Login to Send PM

About 9 days ago I slept at a new boyfriend’s place…I had two bug bites the next day on my face, one on my forehead and one on my chin. My skin is very sensitive so when they were still kind of itchy (and we had the windows open and there were mosquitos) I went to my dermatologist to get looked at.

My derm said that I might have bed bug bites even though they weren’t in any particular pattern. Just to be sure he said to keep my eyes open.

Well the next day I called a bed bug sniffing dog company just to be sure. The guys came over and they were extremely unprofessional, asking me how much money I make and what I do for a living and asking if they could move into my apartment. They brought in a dog which walked around my living room without putting its nose down, and then walked into my bedroom and sat right next to my bed.

They told me I had bed bugs. They brought the dog back out and walked back in and the dog sat down again in the same spot, but without really sniffing, looking at the handler for treats. Then they proceeded to tell me I have bed bugs and would need thousands of dollars of treatments and yet refused to look for any physical signs, saying I was in the early stages of an infestation. Then the dog laid down and rolled around and played on that spot while they explained my outbreak.

I then took apart my entire bedroom, looking through the mattress seems, buttons, box springs, white sheets, taking off the picture frame from the ceiling, lifting up and deep cleaning the carpet. I found not a single trace of a bed bug. Not the blood spots, the black marks, the apple seed sized things, skin casings, anything.

I have also yet to have a single other bite. But this is killing me. I just had a major operation and I can’t sleep and I wake up with the creepy crawlies.

Someone please help! Do I have bed bugs?

2. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 27 2012 18:14:33
    #

Login to Send PM

No one is going to be able to tell you over the internet whether or not you have bed bugs but based on the evidence you presented, in my opinion you probably don't. In any event, there is general agreement that k-9 teams which don't confirm with physical evidence are essentially useless.

-rs1971

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 27 2012 19:03:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a dodgey doggie to me.

I would have more confidence in your own assesment and search showing up nothing than in the service you paid for. I would strongly advise you to complain to their management about it, the comments were clearly a sign of the level of professionalism they have.

A K9 team where the handler is not entrusting in the dogs ability will often refuse to search in case it shows the dog to not be as accurate as they claim. I am willing to bet they peddled the old certified 98% accurate line which is well known to be 150% BS.

It would be so much easier for them to just be professional in the long run.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. BedBugHellPleaseHelp

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 27 2012 19:11:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes I think they said 96% accurate. And they could NEVER detect such a low level of infestation with the visual eye.

But then the dog wanted to play and roll around in the bed bug spot. Seemed odd.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 27 2012 21:29:12
    #

Login to Send PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/
    please look at the images, especially the apple seed one.
    Unfortunately, the dog team is most unprofessional I've heard about. If you paid for it yourself call them up and have them refund your money. If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me about them. I know many teams and I don't want to ever do business with them. If I already do, I will drop them.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 27 2012 21:44:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear BBH,

As Lou & David have communicated above, this sounds like you clearly selected the wrong canine professionals.

If you paid by CC, perhaps you need to call the CC folks and dispute the charges for what you reportedly state was a less than professional service rendered.

This said, it also sounds as if you have done your homework on bed bugs and know what to look for. This is great because you can now maintain your vigilance which will help you with early detection.

If you find anything you can post photos for us to look at if need be.

Going forward perhaps you need to ask potential BFs if they have a bed bug issue going on "way early" in the relationship but that's another subject.

Good luck, hope this helps ! pb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,817 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs