[identification needed] bed beg?

(10 posts)
  1. paranoidsleepr

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Dec 12 2014 17:46:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I found these two suspicious looking creatures in a passive monitor.. so I had to distort the body of A unfortunately.

A) https://www.flickr.com/photos/40905211@N02/16007379305/

B) https://www.flickr.com/photos/40905211@N02/16007379255/in/photostream/

B (wider): https://www.flickr.com/photos/40905211@N02/15821613047/in/photostream/

Any thoughts?

2. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 13 2014 12:00:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, hope you are ok. And I'm sorry, but to me they do look like bed bugs.

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  3. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 13 2014 12:02:00
    #

Login to Send PM

And I'm sorry to bother you, but how did you find them? Was there fecal matter or was it just the insects?

4. paranoidsleepr

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 13 2014 18:14:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply. No fecall stains, no. I caught one using a passive sticky monitor under the bed. I caught the other using an interceptor device [aka bowl with talc powder] on the bedlegs.

A PCO came over and couldn't find any evidence of them, but I agree... they do look suspicious.

5. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 13 2014 19:21:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry but at least you have proof. Don't let the pco get away with his incompetence. I have a bad one myself. I might buy some of what you have. My pco can't find evidence either and sprayed (a horrible, half assed job ), and still I have what looks like a fresh bite under my ear. I wear turtlenecks in the house and very little other place they could bite me.

6. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 13 2014 19:37:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleeper, are you being bit? I'm assuming?

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Dec 13 2014 19:49:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Any chance of clearer photos?

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 14 2014 2:35:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know. I would not say "you have proof" until an expert has a look. Be patient as it's the weekend.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 14 2014 2:39:23
    #

Login to Send PM

You are right, nobugsonme. I stand corrected. A pro is the only way to be sure.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 14 2014 2:44:37
    #

Login to Send PM

robinsmom - 53 seconds ago  » 
    You are right, nobugsonme. I stand corrected. A pro is the only way to be sure.

It's not just that "a pro is the only way to be sure."

I know you're trying to help, but remember that incorrect IDs can really upset people or give them a false sense of security, so we discourage guessing.

The forum rules note:

Most consumers should not be identifying pest photos.

There may be exceptions. For example, I am not an expert but can ID shiny spider beetles and cockroaches from twenty paces, and can tell you if you probably have a bed bug. (Probably, because closely-related species like Swallow Bugs and Bat Bugs can't always easily be ruled out from photos.) I've even on occasion identified a bug as a closely-related species, but I deferred to our expert entomologists for the final ID. Some other long-time users are also good at identifying specific bugs, and some like spideyjg have much more encyclopedic knowledge than I do.

So if you're a consumer and you're absolutely sure about a bug ID, it's okay to respond, but in other cases, please leave bug IDs to expert professionals or more experienced consumers.

Remember that incorrectly suggesting something is or isn't a bed bug can put another forum user on an emotional roller coaster ride until the experts ride in and correct you, and think how you'd feel if you experienced that. Remember a consumer might not even stick around to get the conflicting ID, and then you just sent someone away wrongly thinking they had, or didn't have, bed bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail