Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Is this bed bug My local exterminator yes [a: no]

(10 posts)
  1. iamscare

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 20 2017 12:14:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I actually posted here yesterday to ID the bug. I was lucky that Lou replied and said its not bedbug. But my local pest control company just saw the photos and said yes it's definitely a dried up fed bedbug. Probably ran through a dryer cycle so it's dried. And he said the dark spot looked like it was fed before its dead. Can someone please tell me is it a bedbug please.

I found this bug in my closet. I am not sure if it's a bedbug related or bedbug cast skin maybe, (I broke his head when picking it up with my nails, sorry, so the picture might not show the head) the bug is very very thin, the thickness is as thin as a paper we use for writing. It almost looked like a dry flat chilli powder. The size is smaller than sesame seed. The color is reddish brown. I'm very very scare now. Can yo please kindly tell me if this is s bedbug cast skin or bedbug? I zoomed in to the picture, I see lateral sectional on the body, which I'm extremely afraid it's bedbug And the shape look similar to a be too. I'm very very scare now. Please please help ID this bug. Shall I do any extermination?

Bug1
    Bug2
    Bug3
    Bug4

2. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 20 2017 13:07:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I am very much NOT a pro, but I would take Lou’s ID over anyone else. He has years and years of experience with bugs of all shapes, sizes, and varieties. He’s devoted his entire life to studying them, and is quite knowledgeable on the topic.

If Lou says no, I’d trust that.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 20 2017 13:25:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I answered on a previous posting, but from the pictures, the insect doesn't look like a bed bug.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. iamscare

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 20 2017 14:33:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou I've got a few picture. But it's taken in my car. So maybe not very good. I will take one when I'm home from work. The lighting is better n clearer at home.

5. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 20 2017 15:49:59
    #

Login to Send PM

The body shape is wrong to be a bed bug. Regardless of it was fed before it died it would still be round.

Do you have any other signs in your home? Shed skins, fecal? Of course there is another way to get confirmation. You could possibly send the sample to Lou to look at.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 20 2017 16:30:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its not a bed bug and given the shadow it casts in one of the images you PCO must be desperate for work (that's often the case with bad ones).

Its not a clear enough image to confirm what it is but its clear enough to say what its not.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  7. iamscare

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 20 2017 18:00:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

May I please ask if you were looking at the first set of pictures that I have the bug on a paper napkin(the ones I originally posted in the first thread?) The reason I asked that is because the pictures I took originally on the paper napkin does look more like the actual bug. The ones I took earlier today on the lined paper, the picture doesn't really look much like the bug, because I have limited lighting in my car. If I look at the picture, can you please tell me which picture will ruled it out to be a bedbug? I'm sorry that I am so paranoid and scare. The PCO actually called earlier, and asked me to drop off the sample to their shop. They looked at it under microscope after my husband dropped it off, and he said that he can't tell 100% if it's bedbug, he said the chance is 70/30. 70% positive it's bb and suggested us to get a K9 in to check for bb. What do you think I should do? Is it very much like he just wants to get my business, or do you think by the 'original set' of pictures on the paper napkin, its quite positive it is not bedbug. Thank you very much!

bed-bugscouk - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi,
    Its not a bed bug and given the shadow it casts in one of the images you PCO must be desperate for work (that's often the case with bad ones).
    Its not a clear enough image to confirm what it is but its clear enough to say what its not.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

8. iamscare

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 20 2017 20:38:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou and David, the PCO was showing this picture attached here to me, and said aside the head and legs are gone. The body, color, size of this bug in the picture resemble a bedbug. Can I please ask you guys, is what he said more like BS, or what are your thoughts of his finding.

Picture

bed-bugscouk - 4 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 20 2017 22:02:21
    #

Login to Send PM

iamscare - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi Lou and David, the PCO was showing this picture attached here to me, and said aside the head and legs are gone. The body, color, size of this bug in the picture resemble a bedbug. Can I please ask you guys, is what he said more like BS, or what are your thoughts of his finding.
    The PCO actually called earlier, and asked me to drop off the sample to their shop. They looked at it under microscope after my husband dropped it off, and he said that he can't tell 100% if it's bedbug, he said the chance is 70/30. 70% positive it's bb and suggested us to get a K9 in to check for bb. What do you think I should do? Is it very much like he just wants to get my business, or do you think by the 'original set' of pictures on the paper napkin, its quite positive it is not bedbug. Thank you very much!
    Picture

Hi,
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Your PCO looked at pictures and said is a bed bug. Your PCO actually looked at the sample and 100% went down to 70%. Think about it. The pictures on the lined paper looked good, but zooming in same problem as original picture on napkin. Bug breaks up, it's not clear. It's because you can't get closer to take a more macro shot of it. Nevertheless, it is not a bed bug. You can send me the bug if you want.

10. iamscare

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 20 2017 22:33:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou, yes can I please send the bug to you. Thank you so much. I'll pick it up from the PCO tomorrow, as the bug was left with them today for their manager to looked at in the microscope.

loubugs - 29 minutes ago  » 

iamscare - 1 hour ago  » 
    The PCO actually called earlier, and asked me to drop off the sample to their shop. They looked at it under microscope after my husband dropped it off, and he said that he can't tell 100% if it's bedbug, he said the chance is 70/30. 70% positive it's bb and suggested us to get a K9 in to check for bb. What do you think I should do? Is it very much like he just wants to get my business, or do you think by the 'original set' of pictures on the paper napkin, its quite positive it is not bedbug. Thank you very much!
    Picture

Hi,
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Your PCO looked at pictures and said is a bed bug. Your PCO actually looked at the sample and 100% went down to 70%. Think about it. The pictures on the lined paper looked good, but zooming in same problem as original picture on napkin. Bug breaks up, it's not clear. It's because you can't get closer to take a more macro shot of it. Nevertheless, it is not a bed bug. You can send me the bug if you want.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,771 posts in 50,035 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,359 members. Latest: questioning_bugger, Mikayah, maybeebedbugs