(5 posts)
  1. stillsoparanoid

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun May 5 2013 2:58:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

Any help with an ID would be greatly appreciated. I also have a few prevention questions below/

Photos from the top make me think it's just some kinda beetle, but that underside photo really freaks me out!!! I just squished this guy coming right at me across the living room floor:

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p696/stillsoparanoid/101_2320_zps744df68c.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p696/stillsoparanoid/101_2318_zps6944c31c.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p696/stillsoparanoid/101_2317_zpsa50fb7a5.jpg

I'm leaning toward it not being a BB, but I bought some new (brand new) furniture recently and am paranoid. I also killed a small bug crawling on me in bed the other night but after staring at it under a magnifying glass for half an hour, I think it was a spider. It was too squished to see clearly.

I have no bites or itching, but about a year ago I frequented this site, as I had unexplained "bites" and itching constantly, but no bugs in sight. Turned out I had urticaria which was fixed after discovering some underlying medical issues.

My questions (aside from the ID)...

How common are people getting BBs in new furniture these days? I had one incident several years ago where I'd bought a brand new wood chair (no upholstery) from Ikea and found a dead and dried up BB in the cardboard. Since then, I'm very careful to inspect all packaging and parts, and I open everything outdoors.

Should I worry about buying new area rugs? There is no way to clean them prior to bringing them inside. I have one in the garage which I received in the mail a few days ago and I just can't bring myself to put it in here.

I know I sound paranoid as heck, but I've seen half of Los Angeles get BBs in recent years, including several friends. It is simply a nightmare I wish to avoid.

Thank you!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun May 5 2013 3:43:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It's a beetle not bedbugs, the most obvious tell is the split on the back.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun May 5 2013 8:43:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear p-noid,

Our friend DC is correct, it's a beetle for obvious reasons.

Obvious, that is, if you're a pest pro or "ento" type person.

Yes, you're screen name is appropriate. We need not be paranoid or worrisome but we do need to know what to do and how to do it.

New furniture - not so much.

Used furniture - uh, er, yeah, kinda-sorta. There have been cases where used furniture, rental furniture and reconditioned furniture have led to problems.

Now, if your new furniture store also sells used furniture and/or picks up your old/used stuff in the same truck well, then that can be problematic. Just sayin . . .

If you simply must do something about your newly delivered rug that's in your garage then you can carefully open it up in the garage, vac it on both sides followed by steam cleaning.

One wonders what the justifiable cost is for true peace of mind.

Hope this helps, have a nice day ! paul b.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun May 5 2013 11:08:09
    #

Login to Send PM

That's a beetle from outdoors, a carabid beetle. Very distinctive trochanters on the hind leg. Base of hind leg attachment to body. Not a true bug.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. stillsoparanoid

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun May 5 2013 16:57:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, thank you all for your input. Now that it's the next day and I look at those photos, I'm not sure why I was freaking out so bad. I can see it's not a BB, but rather a beetle.

Like I said, I think I get worried when I bring new things into the house. At the beginning of the BB "epidemic," I read up on how to avoid bringing them home and have sort of adopted new routines since then, without much thought. I have SEEN BBs crawling on peoples' clothing here in Los Angeles. Twice on people sitting near me at restaurants, twice on friends of mine who showed up at the bar, and once on someone sitting in front of me at a book reading.

And I've had friends who ride the public transit recount stories of looking down at their hands and seeing big full-grown BBs crawling on them.

Stories like this really freak me out! There is obviously something about the BBs that really gets to me... Not quite sure what it is, but I've developed like a subconscious fixation with not getting them in my home.

So the new furniture (2 bookcases, a media console, and a dining set) has me scared, though I inspected carefully and actually broke out the caulking gun so I'm pretty confident it's okay. I was more concerned with the rug. I will heed P Bello's advice in the future. For now, I've actually found a machine washable shag rug and will be going that route, returning the one in the garage.

Thanks again.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45