Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Please Help - Feeling Defeated

(4 posts)
  1. DonToroGaveMeBedBugs

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 2 2018 11:08:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I know it is difficult to ID bites simply from skin photos, but considering I have had bed bugs in the past (a history which can be traced on this platform), I was hoping I could get some opinions on if it looks like I am about to go through the hell of a bedbug infestation again, in my new apartment.

I had a minor bedbug infestation over a year ago (and two apartments ago), which was dealt with right before I moved out. I've been living at my current apartment for about 8 months now, and got new bites before yesterday. I know everybody reacts differently, but, unfortunately, these resemble (and also itch a bit at the beginning only) the bed bug bites I have had in the past.

The night before last, I woke up around 5 AM scratching my thighs, and found 5 circular raised skin-colored patches of around 1 cm or 1/2 inch on my thighs, and one on my back. They itched enough, but weren't unbearable.

https://imgur.com/5HwzjaR

https://imgur.com/PgyUv2c

Later that afternoon, the itching had subsided on those spots, but I felt itching on my butt cheek. When I took a look, I found the same circular raised patches, in triangulated formation. There were 3 of those, plus one red bump a few inches away. When I checked my thigh, the initial skin-colored raised patches had shrunken down to half their size, are less raised, and are red. During my previous infestation problem, my bites looked/felt like these red bumps.

https://imgur.com/pfZOtfc

https://imgur.com/Mj4q2iX

There was also a red mark on my wrist:

https://imgur.com/DbibfFr

This morning, the spots on my bum have also turned red and reduced in size.

https://imgur.com/aRmLqbu

I have ordered some interceptors off Amazon, and am planning to buy mattress encasement too - any recommendations of brands or thoughts on efficacy of these? I will also clean the sheets and do a precursory inspection of the mattress and wooden frame. My landlord is in denial and is trying to get away with not providing professional inspection, even though it is her obligation to do so and she owns and lives in the building - I am not sure why she isn't alarmed. If things worsen, I will make sure I exercise my rights as a renter.

I have a dark looming feeling that this is a bed bug problem, but I am hoping with all my heart that this might somehow just be paranoia. I feel defeated already.

Please help - any thoughts much appreciated. This forum has helped me greatly in the past.
    Thank you.

2. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat May 5 2018 0:10:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you hire a bed bug-sniffing dog in your area? That might help you zero in on whether you actually have them or not.

3. DonToroGaveMeBedBugs

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun May 13 2018 10:56:52
    #

Login to Send PM

LittleRin - 1 week ago  » 
    Can you hire a bed bug-sniffing dog in your area? That might help you zero in on whether you actually have them or not.

Thank you for your reply. I live in NYC and can definitely get a bedbug sniffing dog, but my landlord is trying to shrug off the whole issue. After I had told her about my bites, she told me she would send in an exterminator while I was away out of town. I ended up delaying my trip to catch the ‘exterminator’ and she came in with said exterminator who was wearing a suit, sprayed the windows sparingly with a bedbug spray bottle from the hardware store and asked me if I knew how to work these bedbug hotel traps. They said they would ‘treat’ my apartment more thoroughly while I was away so that I wouldn’t get ‘intoxicated by the fumes’ when they would be fumigating the place. I asked them why they were fumigating since that’s not how you typically treat bedbugs, and she changed her approach to ‘spraying with commercial grade stuff.’ They told me to move all my plants to the living room before leaving so they could treat my bedroom. When the suited ‘exterminator’ left later that evening, I went down to the lobby while they were talking at the door and my landlord quickly said her goodbyes, upon which he kissed her hand. Yep. Exterminator my bedbug bitten ass.
    Anyways, I know my rights as a renter and this behavior as a landlord is completely unacceptable. I just got back yesterday after over a week away and it looks like they have barely sprayed anything and the bed and everything is exactly as I had left it.
    I am thinking of hiring a dog inspection nonetheless - any tips on which bureau I would have to report to to oblige my landlord to assume her obligations and finance inspection and potential extermination?
    Any tips in general on how to proceed?
    Bedbugs are a nightmare to start with, and the addition of a cheap uncooperative landlord makes it that much harder. I don’t understand why she is so shortsighted and wouldn’t address the issue seriously; she owns the multi-family house and lives on the bottom floor! I was thinking of inquiring with my downstairs neighbor as well... sigh...
    Any help or support much appreciated. Thank you.

4. thirdusername

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon May 14 2018 1:29:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a protect-a-bed and I really like it.
    It hasn't broken and seems flexible.
    There is a FAQ on mattress protectors.
    Good luck.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,459 posts in 46,587 topics over 142 months by 20,548 of 21,414 members. Latest: Lubbocklady, Losingit1011, srbutler