Please give me some advice!!!!

(4 posts)
  1. cmtiger

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 2 2010 23:59:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I am married and have 5 children. We have lived in our home for almost 10 years now. We have some neighbors that we have started associating with, mainly their daughter who is the same age as my older girls.

They recently found out that they have a bed bug infestation. I have been to their house twice and the mother and daughter have been to my house a couple of times. Their was one time that they stayed of an evening for quite a while. That was about 3 weeks ago. So total contact time has been around 3-4 weeks.

But we took extra measures even after they left such as vacuuming everything - floors, couches, etc...

Well, I was sitting in my chair on my laptop today and I had a bug jump on me. It freaked me out, I grabbed it, and put it in a jar. It looks identical to the pictures I see on this website. It is not clear nor is it elongated. It is brown with a small black spot in the middle.

My husband and I have taken the chair that I was sitting on to the firepit in our backyard (old chair and I don't mind throwing it out). We vacuumed the rest of the furniture meticulously and the carpet several times. Took curtains down, throw pillows, throw blankets etc...and bagged them all up. I am going to put out in the sun tomorrow and then maybe in our attic because it gets so hot up there. Then we threw out vacuum bags. I even soaked the vacuum attachments in hot water.

So now my plan is to start attacking every room - deep cleaning and vacuuming, however, they were only in kitchen and family room.

Granted, we have only seen one bug and didn't come across another one when we were cleaning, I want to take every precaution. So here are my main questions:

1. What else should I be doing to prevent this from getting out of hand?

2. What should I do about my neighbors? They are refusing to use an exterminator at this time. Too much money and they just paid $6000 on air conditioner, so financially they are struggling. I mean just how precautious should I be? Not let the teenager in my house? The car?

thanks for any advice or comments.

2. LVK9

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 3 2010 0:21:41
    #

Login to Send PM

cmtiger, bed bugs do not jump. Can you take a picture of the bug in question and post it?

3. cmtiger

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 3 2010 0:27:36
    #

Login to Send PM

LVK9 - 2 minutes ago  » 
    cmtiger, bed bugs do not jump. Can you take a picture of the bug in question and post it?

Okay so I didn't actually see it "jump." I looked down and there it was. I think I moved while in the chair and then it fell on my shirt. Neighbors brought dead bugs over from there house in a jar so I could compare. So I looked at both under magnifiying glass and they match. Theirs looked darker, but they had been dead for a week or so and killed with alcohol. I looked at pictures on internet and it looks identical to it.

4. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 3 2010 1:08:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmm.

Keep the bug sample, for PCOs, investigate all bedding for signs, possibly get climbups and mattress encasements. Wait to be bitten, I guess.

You might want to get checked by a licensed bed bug dog handler.

As to your daughter, thats tough. If it were me, I would develop a protocol with your daughter, where she can go over there, but she needs to bag and wash immediately all clothes and luggage when she comes home. Try to explain to her how serious this can get. Its harsh, but I wouldnt let the other kids come into my residence.

I dont know, theres some people on the boards who have fiances and significant others come and go; they might have better ideas.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991