Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Please give me advice with my possible bed bug situation. Please!

(4 posts)
  1. Jackson21

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 5 2011 23:49:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Yesterday, I saw one single bed bug crawling on top of my bed, and killed it. I immediately washed my sheets, and checked my mattress, and around my bed - no signs of any others. However, after examining myself for bites, I did notice about 4 on my hip.

Here is my dilemma:

I'm in college, in an apartment, and my roommates and I move out in 5 days. I haven't told my roommates I found a bed bug because to be honest I really don't want to start a commotion. If I had found a ton of BB, certainly I would say something, but I've found one. I'm extremely neat - I wash my sheets about once a month, the area around my bed is pretty clean other then some occasional dust, I do the laundry frequently, etc which is why I was very surprised to see a bed bug.

Here are my questions:

1. What are the chances that the BB I saw and killed was the BB that gave me the bites, and was the only BB in my room? Hence, I don't have any other BB's and I don't have to worry? I woke up this morning with no apparent other bites, other then some areas of my skin that have me paranoid that they are bites, but I'm pretty certain they aren't.
    2. I pack up in 5 days and move out. The last thing I want is to bring BB back home with me. I'm planning on washing every article of clothing I have right before I put them in my suitcases. What precautions should I take to ensure that I don't bring any BB's with me.
    3. I've sotred my suitcases under my bed so I'm worried that if I do have BB's that they might be in my suitcases too. Is there any type of non toxic or non health threatening spray or something I can buy to spray my suitcases down with? This would have to be bought at a CVS, I would not be able to order this online.

The bottom line is, I've only seen one BB, and as ridiculous as it sounds, I'm afraid to tell anyone or call exterminators because I move out in 5 days. I know that is very selfish, but if this had happened a few weeks ago or I had seen many others, I obviously would have gotten my place sprayed down. My main goal is to just weather this storm, and leave without taking any BB's with me back home. How can I accomplish this?

I really appreciate your advice.

2. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 6 2011 0:12:17
    #

Login to Send PM

First of all, are you certain it was a bedbugs? If it's possible, you should take a photo of it and upload it here for pros to identify it.

Assuming it really was a bedbug, there is a possibility that there was only one. However, there's a good possibility that it's not a lone straggler. Having said that, it would be terribly irresponsible and selfish of you not to tell your roommates. Like you, I'm sure they wouldn't want to take them home either.

You should do a very good inspection of your suitcase, checking crevices etc with very good lighting. All the clothes you wash and dry should be sealed in plastic bags before you put them in your suitcase. Make sure you dry your clothes on high heat for at least an additional 20 minutes AFTER it is bone dry.

Hopefully, you kept the sample and can upload a pic and maybe it's not a bb and you're worrying for no reason.

3. Jackson21

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 6 2011 0:39:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't have a picture unfortunately, but I looked up pictures after, and seemed to match what a BB looks like.

4. jdh1062

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 7 2011 7:21:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed Bugs are ridiculous.I recently rented an apartment that looked very clean and after 1 night of being there,my girlfriend got chewed up.I am currently fighting with the land lord trying to get my money back. I have threatened them with legal action..and built a web page telling my horror story..this issue is not to be taken lightly.

you can read my HORROR story at sekinz.com

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,173 posts in 46,246 topics over 140 months by 20,386 of 21,217 members. Latest: VAhouse, dontpanic, Koroifox