(10 posts)
  1. knockedownhard

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 16 2014 20:28:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I need guidance, and I trust you all.

The PCO I spoke to today didn't offer a warranty after heat treatment.

This seems like a big RED FLAG!! I am going to keep searching.

I live in a highly cluttered home. I guess I will de-clutter, vacuum and bag&launder&Ziploc as I keep looking for a good PCO with heat treatment and a warranty.

I will also be searching for a bank to give me a loan. Can anyone share advice on this? (I'm 22 and don't even have a credit card).

Will they look at me like I am crazy if I walk into a bank and ask for $4000 to fight bedbugs?

Thanks y'all.

Also, I graduate from college tomorrow! It is hard to be excited right now. It's hard to smile. I just need to hear that I am doing a good job.

The bugs are confirmed. I know where they are coming from (the couch). I haven't used any foggers or bombs. And I even make sure to sleep on the couch so as to keep the bbs from roaming too much. Am I crazy?

Love,
    Knockedown

2. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat May 17 2014 2:49:31
    #

Login to Send PM

You have to realize that heat treatments, warranty or not, fail very often...

If you browse this board you'll see plenty of different situations and places where people used heat and it failed on them....

Do you live in a detached house?

Heat treatments in apartments are often useless.

Instead of "jumping the gun", I'd save my money and not enter debt like that on something that could fail.

Make sure you read the FAQ on this site carefully. Check out some stories on people who dealt with their BB problems with the help of a competent PCO.

It would not hurt to have a 2nd opinion on your bugs, post a picture here and a pro will identify it, for free......

Given your specific situation you can also get other advice

The key to dealing with bed bugs is to not panic

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  3. knockedownhard

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat May 17 2014 7:16:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I know that heat treatments often fail. That is why I am looking for a PCO that will 1) monitor after the first treatment, 2) give follow up visits, 3) will retreat for free if necessary (this is what I understand to be a part of a good warranty.)

The PCO I spoke to yesterday said he doesn't even follow up.

I live in a four unit building. My unit is the only unit with bbs. I brought them in. My landlord, last time I spoke with him, said he couldn't help.

4. Koebner

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat May 17 2014 7:46:17
    #

Login to Send PM

In your situation, heat would appear to be be a poor choice. Go back to this site's FAQs - that's where the noise is filtered out of the information signal. There's particularly useful advice in the FAQs on treatments & on chosing a pest controller.

Declutter, yes, but be sure you're not just sprinkling the communal areas with BBs as you remove items. (See FAQs).

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun May 18 2014 3:02:12
    #

Login to Send PM

The bugs are confirmed.

Just checking: who confirmed them? Can you post a photo here if you haven't yet?

Have you verified the laws where you live? If you do have bed bugs, your landlord may be required to hire a professional to eliminate the problem. (Hint: s/he may not tell you this, but that doesn't mean it isn't true or can't be enforced.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. knockedownhard

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun May 18 2014 8:40:16
    #

Login to Send PM

who confirmed them?

The PCO who came out to give me an estimate on the cost of treatment. I have over 12 specimens in tape. I will post pictures ASAP.

7. No More Bites

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun May 18 2014 9:04:58
    #

Login to Send PM

knockedownhard - 1 day ago  » 
    I know that heat treatments often fail. That is why I am looking for a PCO that will 1) monitor after the first treatment, 2) give follow up visits, 3) will retreat for free if necessary (this is what I understand to be a part of a good warranty.)
    The PCO I spoke to yesterday said he doesn't even follow up.
    I live in a four unit building. My unit is the only unit with bbs. I brought them in. My landlord, last time I spoke with him, said he couldn't help.

What makes you think that your unit is the only one with bed bugs? Why do you think you are the one that brought them in? I hope you did not tell the landlord you think you are responsible for the BB infestation.
    You were quoted $4000 to get rid of the bed bugs in ONE treatment? For that much money the PCO should do all for units.
    I am doing what I can to eradicate the BB myself.
    I steam and vacuum my waterbed, futon and other areas in the house.
    I place my bedsheets and my clothes in the dryer and run on the highest heat setting for an hour or more. It gets over 140 degrees in the dryer. Confirmed with an infrared thermometer.
    Read my other post for more information.

8. knockedownhard

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun May 18 2014 9:51:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey No More Bites, thanks for the response. I will definitely check out your posts to see what you have been doing. I just bought a vacuum last night.

What makes you think that your unit is the only one with bed bugs?

I lived here for two years and this is the first time it has been a problem. The bites correlate with the new couch.

I hope you did not tell the landlord you think you are responsible for the BB infestation.

I haven't told him anything about the real bbs. Last time I spoke with him, it was a false alarm. I don't remember what I told him, but I asked for help cover the cost of a PCO, he said no, and recommended that I fog and bomb the place with Raid.

Even in my LL did offer to hire and pay for a PCO, I bet he would get the cheapest available. I don't trust him to want to do it right.

You were quoted $4000 to get rid of the bed bugs in ONE treatment?

No, I was quoted $1500 to heat treat and spray my very small very cluttered one bedroom apt. My partner and I live together, I am an artist with lots of canvases and frames, he is a musician with lots of big speakers, amps, guitars and LP and lots of media, CDs, etc. (The quote didn't include follow ups or anything, so I am looking for another company to work with.)

$4000 is what I expect to pay after buying a packtite and steamer and paying for the PCO all out of my own pocket. Also, my partners truck is potentially contaminated, and I imagine we will have to pay for that too.

9. No More Bites

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun May 18 2014 10:15:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you looked into finding out if the landlord is legally responsible to pay for the eradication of the BB? It would be in your best interest to do so.
    Be diligent.
    I use this........Steam Buggy and it works great.

10. knockedownhard

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun May 18 2014 10:54:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in Arkansas, and check this out: "In every state but Arkansas, there is a rule called the implied warranty of habitability," Portman says. "This requires the landlord to offer and maintain pest-free rentals."

http://moneymix.cuna.org/24724/article.php?doc_id=3062

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,804 posts in 49,552 topics over 153 months by 21,709 of 22,154 members. Latest: Jcschw, Zirrion, Natureboy325