(8 posts)
  1. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 6:07:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

This is what the internet was invented for after all.

I am looking to compile a list of the usual suspects for incorrect identification as bedbugs to create a rogues gallery as it where with the "usual suspects".

Text will accompany the images to point out key features and enough information to google more details from.

Here is where you input is needed, please add to the list below with anything that I may have missed, it will be a work in progress for a while but I have enough to get most of the ones below up soon enough. I am hoping I can tempt a few of the other old timers to share a few images and some text, full credit will of course be given.

Here are my number 1 arch baddies for the week:

• Carpet beetles
    • Dust mites
    • Bird mites
    • Scabies
    • Spider beetles
    • Sow bugs
    • Pscocids

Feel free to add more below.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 10:49:21
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I want to amass many images of these commonly encountered insects and other arthropods to compare and contrast against one another and especially against nymphal and adult common bed bugs.
    Dust mites are too small, no?
    Lou
    Entsult Associates, Inc.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 10:56:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

Yes dust mites are too small but I have a good artists impression of one and I feel its still worth including as even though people cant confirm them visually if all other signs fail they may be the culprit.

I will try and get a template document together to collect notes.

David

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 16:43:18
    #

Login to Send PM

German cockroach nymphs seem to come up pretty frequently.

There's also the possibility of various seeds and plant material, although my sense is that those don't come up quite as often.

And those tiny red--clover mites? I think that's what they are. Clover mites.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 17:04:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been thinking of this too but don't have lots of access to images. Sounds good.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2011 21:18:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Please...deer ticks!

Since they actually do transmit disease, in particular Lyme disease, and therefore as you've seen me advocate in some threads, are truly worse than bed bugs.

In fact I've been meaning to suggest – Nobugs would you consider a separate green sticky devoted entirely to deer ticks – even if it doesn't do much more than refer people to the websites specializing in that topic.

Don't forget fleas either, on the list. And don't forget they transmit disease too, although we don't hear much about them in that respect these days. But without fleas there would have been no Black Plague in Europe.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 30 2011 5:28:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

We have enough to get started but I will also keep an eye out for good images that people post and will ask them to submit them to the project.

I want to try and keep it focused on the common miss-identifications to start of with though.

David

8. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 30 2011 22:22:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if this is possible, but most of the pictures are close up...which is great. But, I'd like to see some at normal size and then zoomed in (kind of Effici's videos, pardon me if I mispelt E's name).

I'd really appreciate this connected to certain places...ie, I'm riding the bus and see what looks like fecal (to me) near the window. But, I'm really not sure. I keep meaning to post pics but my camera's zoom is just so-so. Or, a picture of an infected desk or keyboard, and then zommed in....

Thanks for your consideration.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,355 posts in 50,178 topics over 155 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993