Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Plan of attack for car--feedback, questions.

(7 posts)
  1. geegollygosh

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 14:38:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey folks, so there's plenty of posts on the forum about cars, but not too many followups. I discovered I had bbs in the car a few days ago. I don't know how bad they are-- I am not bitten every time I'm in the car, and I haven't seen any live ones, so fingers crossed it's not too bad. I found 5 eggs underneath the driver's seat, and I found a group of progressively larger sheds in the back seat (maybe all from the same bug?), and a grouping of fecal stains nearby. I am usually bitten in the same spot-- on my left leg or foot, so I am hoping that the sheds/fecal was old and now the infestation is pretty localized to the seat where I sit (I rarely carry passengers).

I am wary of using chemicals in the car. Nuvan/DDVP will be my (careful) backup plan if nothing else works, but I'd like to try to get 'em without that, since nuvan is so toxic and a car is such a small and upholstered space--any feedback on this issue would be great as well. We treated a bunch of stuff in our apartment with the strips and after reading more about them I kind of wish we hadn't, or had at least been more careful about it (we were doing it under the guidance of a PCO).

Right now, I'm planning on doing a really deep clean-- like take it to a carwash vacuum place, remove all of the seats, strip the carpets back (a previous owner already threw away all of the rugs), pop the plastic interior peices off to get down to the insulation, and vacuum everything I can reach. DE in the nooks and crannies like where the seat belt comes out or where wires go through the carpet, and dusted underneath the drivers seat. Armed with rubbing alcohol as a contact killer.

Does this seem like it would work or is it likely a waste of time?

I don't have access to a steamer-- should I find one? Can't buy one ($$$) but I might be able to rent one?

Is this a safe use of DE?

Any other feedback? Thanks!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 14:51:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am liking plan A. Lots of deep attention to detail cleaning and light use of DE int he critical places and especially around places you have found confirming signs.

Vehicles that are not occupied rarely provide a good enough home for growing infestations and often get resolved before they can become multi-generational.

You may want to also supplement your efforts with Passive Monitoring of the drivers seat which means that should you miss anything in the deep clean it should rapidly relocate into an area and device that is easily removed and replaced (taking the bedbugs along with it).

There are images of install sites on my FlickR feed here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bedbugsuk/sets/72157639977141754/

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. geegollygosh

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 15:08:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, hoping it's not too entrenched. I think they may have been in there for a month or even a bit longer-- after the first three treatments in the apartment, I was still getting bitten while my boyfriend was fine. I finally put two and two together one morning and figured it out due to the grouping of bites on my outer thigh...exactly where my leg meets the car seat on that side. Going to do a another light vacuum today of everywhere I can reach and get my bf to help me with the heavy lifting (wrestling the seats out and such) tomorrow evening.

Also going to be on the lookout for a pair of snow white knee socks, hah. I already took the advice of someone in another thread and am sitting on a white cloth so that I can see them if they scurry across the seat toward my thigh. I glance down at it compulsively as I drive...my driving has been going downhill over the past couple days.

4. geegollygosh

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 16:24:35
    #

Login to Send PM

So I went down and started ripping my car apart. For those who read this thread looking for advice, I think it would have been a good plan-- it was pretty easy to snap off all of the plastic edges by just pulling it off (and the few pieces I tried snapped back on fine, all though my car is a beater so I wan't super worried about it), and it wasn't hard to peel the entire carpet back straight down to the metal.

But... THEY WERE TOTALLY CARPET BEETLES. I kept seeing carpet beetles, no bed bugs, and finally I googled a picture of a carpet bug shed, and that exoskeleton that my PCO immediately affirmed was a bed bug shed within a second of me showing it to him in panic? TOTALLY A DEAD RINGER FOR A CARPET BEETLE SHED. What do you have to do to find someone who knows anything about what you're paying them to do in this city?! (The same guy also recommended putting the car in the sun to get rid of them. He was an improvement on the first guy from a different company, who assured us that there was "no way" we could take them if we moved, and told us to just put our stuff like books and such out on our porch for a few hours.)

Anyway. Deep breath. I am definitely relieved that I don't (probably) have them in my car. I am still a little concerned about our apartment since I'm still getting bitten, but we just got a fourth spray, so we will wait and see, fingers crossed. I suppose it's possible I'm reacting to the carpet beetles, but that would be a big timeline coincidence I would think, that my apartment got infested with bed bugs at the same time I started reacting to carpet beetles in my car. (btw, I'm 100% positive that the apartment had bedbugs.)

edited to fix the spelling from the 60's pop band to the small insect

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 16:43:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Actually being sensitive to other things such as carpet beetles post bedbug exposure seems to be common or at least experiences in the field and on the forum would support that. It's why I have written about them so much, not only as a possibility in non bedbugs but as a post BB issue as well. It may be compounded by the extra layers and socks etc building more static.

Sorry you have found less than "professionals" also common as per forum experiences but thankfully the information here will make up for the wider lacking. I would offer an excuse but frankly non are valid at this stage because the issue has been around for long enough not to make such mistakes.

Please try to take pictures or log anything you find so that this thread can be referenced by others.

David

6. geegollygosh

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 16:51:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the heads up re: sensitivity. Will keep it in mind. I also need to trap the mouse that has been in my kitchen occasionally (I think it's primary residence is the neighbor's), I just remembered based on another thread that a few years ago a mouse was carrying mites that I thought were bed bugs (well, I think that's what was going on, anyway).

7. geegollygosh

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 16:56:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's a photo, not a great one it was pretty small and I was using a cell phone:

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,455 posts in 48,828 topics over 151 months by 21,440 of 21,843 members. Latest: Beardface, BugBrosHauntingMe, brokengarage