Placement of Passive BB Alert Monitor on Metal Frame Bed

(4 posts)
  1. whatsthis77

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri May 18 2018 11:59:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Trying to see if I have bugs, very few sure signs so far.

I bought the BB Alert Passive.

My bed is metal-framed with wooden slats on the bottom. I have a box spring and mattress, both encased, though there is a very small hole in the case around the box spring (on the bottom). For now I'm leaving the case on, but obviously that is not ideal.

The bed is partially against a wall on the left side (the wall is oddly shaped, so it only abuts at the top left), and is pulled away from the wall at the head end end by a few inches.

At the head of the frame are skinny metal bars that aren't ideal for attaching the monitor.

Where would you suggest placing the monitor, and how long would I normally wait to see if I am bed bug free?

Thank you all for your assistance.

2. whatsthis77

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat May 19 2018 13:24:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going to go ahead and put it on the box spring at the head of the bed. I understand the only reason not to do this is possible damage to an encasement when removing. As the box spring encasement already has a small hole on the bottom I am not concerned.

Do folks think this is correct placement?

3. whatsthis77

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Mon May 21 2018 10:36:26
    #

Login to Send PM

After reviewing additional posts on this subject, I see that the creator of the BB Alert passive suggests not using it with climb ups. I understand the logic behind that, however, my bed (again, a metal frame one with long metal legs) has had those interceptors below the legs for going on a year. So, they aren't a new thing, and yet I have still come to suspect bed bugs. Should I take them off? That seems like an odd thing to do at this stage, but I do want the monitor to work.

I've placed the passive monitor right at the head of the box spring in the middle and see no evidence after two nights (I'm not reading much into that, but fwiw). I did notice a few bite-like marks on my toes this morning. We had a possible feces stain the other day on a pillow, which looked just like a pent dot that ran slightly.

I've put down cimexa in all the cracks along the floorboord and along the sides of my bed frame (the edge support for the box spring).

We are also looking to get a new, simpler frame (made of wood most likely) that does away with the almost infinite hiding spots in this metal frame bed. Essentially the entire thing is hollow and there are multiple cracks where bed bugs could enter. For this reason, I would have thought any bugs might be already on the frame and would seek out the passive monitor. I don't know.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.

4. whatsthis77

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Mon May 21 2018 17:47:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Just bumping this again in case anyone can help...

Thanks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,660 posts in 44,814 topics over 137 months by 19,670 of 20,375 members. Latest: Aryn, JASM, Tashagene