(17 posts)
  1. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 8 2016 15:56:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I'm planning on buying David Cain's passive monitor. I'm confused as to placement. I have a wood frame bed. The box spring sits on a wood frame, but there are no slats on the bottom, just a wooden perimeter. The bed has a wood slatted head board and a foot board. Can I still use your monitor, David? Where would I put it?
    Thanks.

2. yohoki

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 8 2016 16:37:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes! Try the head board. On his website is a page (added below) that shows placement options. Even without a frame, it can be placed directly on the box spring. That's the kind of bed I've known my whole life. I'd never seen a slated bed frame until about 5 years ago when I put my children's beds together.

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/bedbugpassivemonitors.html

Notable sites for my reference (and others that are interested):
    http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
    http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/tbypmr.pdf (PDF file. May prompt download)
    Http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/ (David's company website.)
    Http://www.bedbugger.com/forum/
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 9 2016 2:27:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Either the vertical head end of the box section or via a piece of cloth dropping down from. Etween the mattress and the base.

The headboard will work but it's less ideal than the solution above. I will add making an illustrated guide to Passive Monitor placement to my work schedule.

It will need to be next week as I keep getting delayed this week by giraffe and zebras on the road (Kruger national park in South Africa is just stunning (loads of pics to follow).

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 9 2016 2:45:57
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    Thanks for your reply, but I'm confused. I am not sure what you mean about the cloth hanging down from between the mattress and the base. Is the base the box spring? Also is the vertical head end of the box section the side of the box spring that faces the headboard? As you see I'm totally confused and look forward to the illustrated guide so I know where to put it. Jt has been 43 days since I might have introduced something into my house and for my sanity I need to figure out if anything is here.
    Hope you enjoy your trip.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 9 2016 2:51:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

When people have mattresses and based encased we use cloth to provide a surface to stick the monitor to. There are posts and picture of this here and on FlickR.

Yes the vertical is the part that faces the headboard.

It's not that complex, it's all about placing in places bed bugs love and can get access to. In 99% of cases it's simple but sometimes there is a new bed type or a room configuration which is non standard. Oddly enough US beds are closest to French antique beds than U.K. Beds.

David

6. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 9 2016 3:01:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I will look at the pictures and see if I can figure it out. I don't have an encasement yet on my box spring - I just bought one and haven't put it on yet. I also don't have one yet on my mattress. If I have the monitor facing the headboard I can't easily see inside it without moving it since there are only about 4-6 inches from the wall. Should I still have it there or move it to the side of the mattress not facing the headboard? I will try to find the pictures and look at them as I want to be able to use this.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 9 2016 5:31:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It sounds like it's in the right place but images always work better than descriptions.

David

8. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 10 2016 1:43:00
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    If I put the monitor facing the headboard, then I have to move it to see inside it since the bed is only about 4 inches from the wall. Should I still put the monitor there? If I there are bed bugs in there I don't want to cause them to leave (of course, I hope there aren't any in there).
    Thanks.
    By the way, where are your monitors manufactured?

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 10 2016 5:07:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You never need to look inside. You look or feel for the faecal traces on the detection skirt.

David

10. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 10 2016 10:38:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Didn't realize that. When you feel for them, do you mean they would come off on your hand?

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 10 2016 14:33:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The detection skirt only partially absorbs the faecal traces leaving a Braille like dot. Yes we have actually taught blind people to detect bed bugs. It's also why all my advanced work is formatted as PDF so it's easier to use audio translation and font size changing for the visually impaired.

David

12. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 10 2016 19:21:02
    #

Login to Send PM

How long do you think if there are bed bugs they would relocate to the monitor?

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Dec 11 2016 5:14:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry the answer is found through using the search box at the top of the page.

David

14. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 12 2016 14:24:31
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 day ago  » 
    Hi,
    The detection skirt only partially absorbs the faecal traces leaving a Braille like dot. Yes we have actually taught blind people to detect bed bugs. It's also why all my advanced work is formatted as PDF so it's easier to use audio translation and font size changing for the visually impaired.
    David

David, I was reading some place that the Packtite monitor is a redesign of your original one. Is there still the dot to feel for fecal stains? Thanks.

15. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 12 2016 14:56:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,
    I read that your monitor sold through PackTite is slightly different than your original monitor. Does it still have the dot when there is a fecal stain on the detection skirt of the monitor?
    Thanks.

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Dec 13 2016 1:02:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes it foes.

David

17. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Dec 13 2016 1:17:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,564 posts in 47,013 topics over 143 months by 20,751 of 21,026 members. Latest: ThaiTraveler, byebyebedbugs, Nobugspls