Pics - Examples of Home Treatment

(11 posts)
  1. BurnItDown

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 13 2015 15:10:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Attached are three pics of some of the treatments I'm currently using while dealing with a bed bug infestation: clothes bagged in closet, clothes in horizontal bags (my daily use/wear) and the kitchen - interceptor plus plastic tub with sealed bags. Hope this helps someone. (I highly recommend reading the FAQ's and doing research.)

bagging by Xavier Horan-Jenkins, on Flickr

Closet by Xavier Horan-Jenkins, on Flickr

Kitchen by Xavier Horan-Jenkins, on Flickr

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 13 2015 16:29:05
    #

Login to Send PM

You probably don't need interception devices for the shelving in the kitchen. Bedbugs are rarely found in kitchens unless there is heavy migration from an adjacent unit.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 13 2015 16:41:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugs are rarely found in kitchens unless there is heavy migration from an adjacent unit.
    I once found bed bugs in the kitchen and not at all in the bedroom or living room areas. I didn't say rooms, but areas. The story is that the insects crawled over from the apartment across the hall. Of course, that doesn't explain the story. These are lofts in Brooklyn and the front door of the apartment opens directly into the kitchen area - that's the first place you come into contact with since it is a loft, a large studio apartment. This one does has walls built to the rear in order to produce 2 bedrooms. The bed bugs later moved into the bedrooms from the kitchen area. Some apartments or houses might have different configurations that don't fit the "typical" floor plan.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 13 2015 17:15:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Burnitdown,
    Nice pics!
    Are those homemade interceptors and what are they made of/what's in them?

edited to add: I see a separate discussion of your interceptors here so I will continue there.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 13 2015 17:50:41
    #

Login to Send PM

1. As per field observation, recent published studies and underscoring Lou's point above, we may find BBs in numerous rooms within a home or apartment including kitchens. In fact, in a recent published study BBs were also found to become trapped in pitfall type monitor traps placed in locations away from beds and sofas. As such, the placement of such devices really "can't hurt" and could be helpful if the individual can afford the cost and time to monitor these additional devices.

2. That is not a home-made type monitor device but I'm curious as to how the OP happens to have these devices since the last time I held one of these it was in the "proto-type" phase and not yet being marketed . . .

Please advise, thanks much .

pjb

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 13 2015 17:55:39
    #

Login to Send PM

In fact, in a recent published study BBs were also found to become trapped in pitfall type monitor traps placed in locations away from beds and sofas. As such, the placement of such devices really "can't hurt" and could be helpful if the individual can afford the cost and time to monitor these additional devices.
    It appears that bed bugs crawl around rooms and marked ones from different locations in the home would wind up in pitfall traps (climb-ups) set up in the perimeter of rooms (not under furniture legs) as days progressed. It's interesting that this appears to be counter-productive for the bug if it were to crawl about aimlessly, not feed, and head toward death by starvation. Why not sit and wait? Obviously, not all bugs move about - just very hungry ones? Recently fed would stay in harborages and not move about like the starving relatives.

7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 13 2015 18:40:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree Lou.

That underscores the variability that may present amongst individuals in nature.

pjb

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 13 2015 20:09:17
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 2 hours ago  » 
    2. That is not a home-made type monitor device but I'm curious as to how the OP happens to have these devices since the last time I held one of these it was in the "proto-type" phase and not yet being marketed . . .
    Please advise, thanks much .
    pjb

Please continue this discussion of the monitor in the other thread the OP started about the monitor design, per my note above. I linked to it above but here it is again: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bed-leg-with-casing-and-interceptor-pic-feel-free-to-critique

Thanks!

9. BurnItDown

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Aug 16 2015 20:17:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in an efficiency apartment so the kitchen is 4 feet from the couch and about 10-12 feet from the bed. In the early stages of treating my apartment I made many mistakes before I got up to speed about bed bugs. One of the mistakes was storing some bagged goods in the kitchen area that wasn't properly sealed. Since the shelving unit is open, I use it to store some things that I need frequently in daily life that I can't risk leaving out in case something crawls out and into it (toiletries, wallet, etc.) Since I started vacuuming regularly and had a PCO treatment, I have not seen any bed bug activity (live, dead or fecal material) in the kitchen.

From what I've read of stories in the forum, it's always better to err on the side of caution.
    Thanks for everyone's interest.

10. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 17 2015 8:21:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugs love cardboard. I tell people not to leave anything cardboard related on the floor. Did you solve your problem?

11. BurnItDown

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 17 2015 10:57:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Jim - I'm down to catching one baby per 3-4 days after six weeks. Might spring for another PCO treatment. Continue to be vigilant and practice the basics every day. Of course there's always the risk that they've moved to an adjacent apartment and could come back, but I've been in regular contact with my landlord about the situation. Will keep the forums updated on progress. Best case scenario - I can give people hope.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,636 posts in 50,004 topics over 154 months by 21,866 of 22,347 members. Latest: gingerstelpa, jaa5108, fightingback